Schiit Owners Unite
May 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,071 of 13,350
Yes, they are sending me the GE's. I knew it was going to get hot, but both my lyr and new bifrost are burning up after an hour or so. I am assuming this normal, they are stacked btw

More heat is produced by the transformers and power transistors - left and right side of chassis - which is why those areas warm up first. It is normal… be sure it gets air, that's all it needs.

May 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,072 of 13,350
I'm now a proud owner of a Lyr! I'm quite impressed with it, even with my Alessandro MS-1. I'm still waiting for my Beyerdynamic DT880s to arrive.

One of the tubes is a bit noisy, but it mostly goes away after it's warmed up. Only got about 3 hours on them, so I'll give it more time to break in.

Congrats!

About the noisy tube, try reseating the tube or switching them around. Worked for me. Often it just needs to be re-set into the amp. If still noisy, contact Jason. Schiit is very good helping out with even small issues like that.

Enjoy!

May 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,073 of 13,350
Yes, they are sending me the GE's. I knew it was going to get hot, but both my lyr and new bifrost are burning up after an hour or so. I am assuming this normal, they are stacked btw

My Bifrost has always run barely warm (not stacked). Your Lyr must be warming it. I also run 1" tall feet on the Schiit, good ventilation all around.

May 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,074 of 13,350
Quote:
Congrats!

About the noisy tube, try reseating the tube or switching them around. Worked for me. Often it just needs to be re-set into the amp. If still noisy, contact Jason. Schiit is very good helping out with even small issues like that.

Enjoy!

Just got my DT880. Dead silent, no hum at all. Only get hum with more sensitive headphones. Not planning on using my MS-1 with my Lyr anyway.

May 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,075 of 13,350
I'm not sure if anyone has tried after market power cables with their Schiit stuff but just just for giggles, I just did.  I had a couple of AudioQuest NRG 2 power cables in my box of spare audio stuff so I replaced the stock cables with them.  Wow!  they really opened the system up, smoothed out, extended and opened up the top end with my HE500. A little more air, detail and soundstage.  Not dramatic but noticeable.  Quite nice. Sticking with it.
I have the Uber analog board coming in for my Bifrost and that should add a little more. Hopefully another nice tweak.

May 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,076 of 13,350
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone has tried after market power cables with their Schiit stuff but just just for giggles, I just did.  I had a couple of AudioQuest NRG 2 power cables in my box of spare audio stuff so I replaced the stock cables with them.  Wow!  they really opened the system up, smoothed out, extended and opened up the top end with my HE500. A little more air, detail and soundstage.  Not dramatic but noticeable.  Quite nice. Sticking with it.
I have the Uber analog board coming in for my Bifrost and that should add a little more. Hopefully another nice tweak.

I heard the audiophile power cable needs to be on the computer to make the most difference. Is that not true?

May 11, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,078 of 13,350
Not the whole house, and not with audiophile cable, but I wired a dedicated spur to my HiFi years ago in a previous house and it made a big difference. I think I used over grade i.e. thicker cable.

I'm not sure how much difference the last metre of cable makes anyway when you consider the previous kilometres to the substation...

(sits back and waits for the fireworks to start).

May 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,079 of 13,350
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a lyr as i own an O2 and ODAC. I have a few questions:
Is the lyr a significant and worthy upgrade for the O2?
Is there any way i can connect my ODAC to the lyr?
Thanks

May 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,080 of 13,350
Quote:
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a lyr as i own an O2 and ODAC. I have a few questions:
Is the lyr a significant and worthy upgrade for the O2?
Is there any way i can connect my ODAC to the lyr?
Thanks

I recently bought a Lyr to replace my O2. Whether the Lyr is a worthy update is probably a matter of individual preference but for me it was. That said I was never entirely happy with the O2.

Assuming you have a standalone ODAC then it can indeed be connected to the Lyr, either by using a 3.5mm minijack to 2 x RCA cable or using regular stereo interconnects if your ODAC has the red/white RCA sockets on the rear (not all do).

May 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,081 of 13,350
Quote:
I recently bought a Lyr to replace my O2. Whether the Lyr is a worthy update is probably a matter of individual preference but for me it was. That said I was never entirely happy with the O2.

Assuming you have a standalone ODAC then it can indeed be connected to the Lyr, either by using a 3.5mm minijack to 2 x RCA cable or using regular stereo interconnects if your ODAC has the red/white RCA sockets on the rear (not all do).

What was the difference between O2 and lyr? I know it is a matter of preference as some people said that they prefer the O2 more than the lyr, vice versa. Are you satisfied with the lyr? By the way, what is your current setup?

May 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,082 of 13,350
Quote:

What was the difference between O2 and lyr? I know it is a matter of preference as some people said that they prefer the O2 more than the lyr, vice versa. Are you satisfied with the lyr? By the way, what is your current setup?

I am very satisfied with my Lyr.   Quite frankly I can't imagine replacing it with anything else.   Guess I'm in a end game situation with my present setup.   I did buy some cables for my HE-500 and my HD-650s and for the combined price I could have bought another Lyr
eek.gif
    Price to performance ratio,  the Lyr absolutely cannot be beat.  

May 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,085 of 13,350
Thanks for the replies guys. I know the lyr is indeed a very good amp for my HD650 and K701 as the reviews are excellent.
Do anyone have comparisons of the lyr with O2 or other of its close contenders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back