Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,966 of 13,350
Quote:
Im a bit confuse. 

The RCA PYST is for connecting the Magni to the Modi.
So how do I connect the Modi to my Mac book pro?
Do I need to buy the USB PYST as well?

Thanks

USB

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,967 of 13,350
I see I'm as sloppy with turning on/off procedures as I've always been, just unplugged my headphones from my Asgard before turning down the volume and shutting off the amp again. I've been able to do it many times with dynamic headphones in the past on something without a muting relay, though Orthos are a new thing for me.

Hopefully I'm off the hook for this one in the morning. :p

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #1,968 of 13,350
Quote:
Im a bit confuse. 

The RCA PYST is for connecting the Magni to the Modi.
So how do I connect the Modi to my Mac book pro?
Do I need to buy the USB PYST as well?

Thanks

You will need a USB connection from the Macbook to the Modi. Make sure you are buying the Modi with the USB card in it. Second, you can buy the PYST USB or if you have a printer cable that connects the laptop to a printer, that will be fine as well. The USB in the Modi should have what is called a mini-USB (male B) socket hence the cable is technically called a male A female B cable. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,969 of 13,350
The Modi is USB only.  The Bifrost has USB as an option.  But, I see your point and you offer great advice. 

Quote:
You will need a USB connection from the Macbook to the Modi. Make sure you are buying the Modi with the USB card in it. Second, you can buy the PYST USB or if you have a printer cable that connects the laptop to a printer, that will be fine as well. The USB in the Modi should have what is called a mini-USB (male B) socket hence the cable is technically called a male A female B cable. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,972 of 13,350
Quote:
Thanks for the response. And I see where this is going as well. If I get the Gungnir, then the Lyr won't make much sense, would it ? I would have to get the Mjolnir or some other balanced DAC/Amp combo.. If I do this, I will then have a dac/amp for every one in my family, including my daughter's pet dog
confused_face.gif

You really wouldn't have to get a Mjolnir, unless you particularly want to run balanced phones. I've kept my Lyr, because it is a very different animal from the Mjolnir. That is, an exceedingly revealing solid state instrument, vs. an incredibly fun tube amp. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for glass-flavored audio. The Gungnir will provide a superior experience with either (and in fact can be used with both at the same time.)

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,973 of 13,350
Quote:
That is right. I got a little confused there since I have the Bifrost with the USB. And thanks.

How about connecting an Asgard 2 directly to a source such as a receiver or CD player. I'm still waiting for my A-2 and, it will be my first amp.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,974 of 13,350
You really wouldn't have to get a Mjolnir, unless you particularly want to run balanced phones. I've kept my Lyr, because it is a very different animal from the Mjolnir. That is, an exceedingly revealing solid state instrument, vs. an incredibly fun tube amp. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for glass-flavored audio. The Gungnir will provide a superior experience with either (and in fact can be used with both at the same time.)

Oh wow, I did not know that the Gungnir could play both simultaneously. Oh well, my wallet will become 800 bucks poorer soon:joy:

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,976 of 13,350
Quote:
Quote:
How about connecting an Asgard 2 directly to a source such as a receiver or CD player. I'm still waiting for my A-2 and, it will be my first amp.
[/quote
I suppose you could do that through RCA cables. Hope I'm right

That's what I was thinking. Before I get a DAC, I'd like to figure out what I need to connect it to a source.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,977 of 13,350
I don't have a dedicated DAC in my system but I have multiple digital sources that I connect via RCA cables to my Lyr.  It's an interesting way to hear the differences in the built in DACs.  Down the road I'll buy an outboard DAC but not a problem for now.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #1,978 of 13,350
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Before I get a DAC, I'd like to figure out what I need to connect it to a source.

Depends on the source. Almost every decent CD player has a coax (RCA connectors) or toslink optical out, most PCs output via USB and many Macs feature optical via the headphone jack. Consult a cable seller to make sure you're getting the right stuff. Blue Jeans Cables and Siflex both enjoy good reps among Head-Fiers. I think you might be astonished how much of an improvement a good DAC will make in sound quality. And I think Schiit is absolutely killer for the money, just to keep on topic
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,979 of 13,350
Quote:
Oh wow, I did not know that the Gungnir could play both simultaneously. Oh well, my wallet will become 800 bucks poorer soon:joy:

Jason assured me via email that all three outs on the Gungnir (one balanced, two RCA) can feed operating amps at the same time without stressing the DAC or degrading the sound quality. Although I can't imagine a likely circumstance where you'd want to do that; a mini-meet or for equipment comparisons, perhaps. It is really convenient to have everything connected (in my case, two HP amps and the main speakers system) at all times, without having to swap cables around.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,980 of 13,350
Quote:

Depends on the source. Almost every decent CD player has a coax (RCA connectors) or toslink optical out, most PCs output via USB and many Macs feature optical via the headphone jack. Consult a cable seller to make sure you're getting the right stuff. Blue Jeans Cables and Siflex both enjoy good reps among Head-Fiers. I think you might be astonished how much of an improvement a good DAC will make in sound quality. And I think Schiit is absolutely killer for the money, just to keep on topic
wink_face.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back