Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,921 of 13,350
Quote:

Not to scare you even more, but I have 37 pairs.

But to be fair, these also fit my Cavalli Liquid Glass, so they are not for the Lyr alone.

Tubes do fail occasionally/eventually, so it's nice to have backups for your favorites (I had an Orange Globe fail last week; glad I had backup).

Well, I did it. I just bought a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys from mercedesman. I have the Lyr at present but who knows where the overall madness is headed 
L3000.gif
. Thank God I will be on vacation shortly.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,922 of 13,350
Quote:
Well, I did it. I just bought a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys from mercedesman. I have the Lyr at present but who knows where the overall madness is headed 
L3000.gif

I know you'll love them, but I'd like to hear your impressions anyway.  

They should sound pretty good right off the bat, but do let them burn in for a bit before you make any decisions about whether this is the ultimate tube for you.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,924 of 13,350
Quote:
L3000.gif

Awesome, congratulations!!

BTW, vacations do not work - on my last one I bought the Pan Am amp on my iPad. OK, so vacations can work if you take no phone, pad, or other device with connectivity :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,926 of 13,350
Awesome, congratulations!!

BTW, vacations do not work - on my last one I bought the Pan Am amp on my iPad. OK, so vacations can work if you take no phone, pad, or other device with connectivity :)

Thanks. I did review my post and I agree that what I said was plain nuts. On vacation, no stress, iPhone in hand .... I hope I don't end up buying the Stax :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,927 of 13,350
I love taking a week or so off from listening to music through my schiit stack to catch up on life and school. And i fired it up again this morning and fell in love all over again.... 

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,928 of 13,350
I frequently listen every evening for weeks, and then I take a few weeks completely off.  This could be based on my schedule or just my mood in general.  When I fire up the rig, I get a big rush of overdue enjoyment.

Quote:
I love taking a week or so off from listening to music through my schiit stack to catch up on life and school. And i fired it up again this morning and fell in love all over again.... 

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,929 of 13,350
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help guys and for being so patient & tolerant of my noob questions. It's much appreciated.

I received my Lyr today and am really very pleased with it. whilst it looks good in photos I was pleasantly surprised by both the build quality and just how nice it looks in the flesh. It has a fair bit of heft to it too as I discovered when I nonchalantly picked it out of the packing box one handed
eek.gif

Fitting tubes for the first time was a bit unnerving as I was a bit worried about bending pins etc.  but after a bit of trial & error they went in fine.

I wasn't expecting much from the stock tubes but even after just a few hours listening I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing. Sure they aren't perfect but I can definitely live with them 'til I can afford something better (Bugle Boys  are looking good). Even at this early stage I'm really enjoying the smoothness and fullness of the sound coming out of this amp.

Should be a fun weekend!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,933 of 13,350
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help guys and for being so patient & tolerant of my noob questions. It's much appreciated.

I received my Lyr today and am really very pleased with it. whilst it looks good in photos I was pleasantly surprised by both the build quality and just how nice it looks in the flesh. It has a fair bit of heft to it too as I discovered when I nonchalantly picked it out of the packing box one handed
eek.gif

Fitting tubes for the first time was a bit unnerving as I was a bit worried about bending pins etc.  but after a bit of trial & error they went in fine.

I wasn't expecting much from the stock tubes but even after just a few hours listening I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing. Sure they aren't perfect but I can definitely live with them 'til I can afford something better (Bugle Boys  are looking good). Even at this early stage I'm really enjoying the smoothness and fullness of the sound coming out of this amp.

Should be a fun weekend!

Socket Savers can make it easier to instal your tubes.  they also raise the tubes a bit out of the chassis so temps will lower a bit.  Not that you have to worry about high temps, but lower is always better IMHO.

Plus, they look bitchin'!  
cool.gif

These ones are inexpensive too:

http://tubedepot.com/sk-9svr.html

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,935 of 13,350
Quote:
Quote:
Socket Savers can make it easier to instal your tubes.  they also raise the tubes a bit out of the chassis so temps will lower a bit.  Not that you have to worry about high temps, but lower is always better IMHO.

So, you just insert the tubes into the Savers and insert the latter into the amp right?

That's pretty much it.  Or, you can install the socket savers into the amp, then install your tubes into the savers.

These have been around for a LOOOOONG time, they were originally used on tube testers.  

Tubes used to be installed and removed on testers sometimes dozens of times a day.  I remember there was a DIY tester installed at the local Rite-Aid, so some of the people installing and removing tubes would not be the most careful sort.

Eventually the pins on the sockets would wear out. Then the tester would have to have a new socket soldered in.  

Then came socket savers.  Instead of the pins on the tester's socket wearing out, the pins on the cheap socket saver would take the punishment.

That makes them ideal for tube rollers.  We install and remove tubes a lot too.

But even if you don't plan on doing a lot of rolling, these are worth considering because of all the benefits I mentioned in my earlier post.

And don't be concerned about signal degradation, your tubes will sound just fine with these installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back