Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,621 of 13,350
Thanks for your reply! I've a second problem, and not sure how much it has to do with the first.

I was able to find this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593243/schiit-bifrost-cannot-play-192-sample-rate-under-windows-7-through-optical though it wasn't too much help.

Tinkering around a bit, I was able to get J River to play the source bitdepth, but it was through DirectSound/Wave Out mode. WASAPI/Event Style gives me an error about playback (device doesn't support it). 

I guess the thing that's bugging me is that I had no such problems with the Magni/E10, so this is more indicative of the optical out, as you said.

EDIT: Everything's been solved... it was a problem in J. River, had to check the box "Present 24 as 32", and it started working. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,622 of 13,350
Can anyone here who owns the Bifrost tell me if you can have 3 inputs hooked up to it simultaneously (assuming you have the usb version) and choose between the 3? I'm thinking of getting one, but need to convert more than one digital source, and can't find any info on Schiit's site. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,623 of 13,350
I believe so. I just checked really fast... I don't have the USB version, but the bifrost's button on the front switches the input, and I was able to switch from optical to coaxial and back instantly, though I don't have any coaxial input, it did give me back my optical sound when I switched back. I'm not sure about having the three on simultaneously.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,624 of 13,350
Quote:
Can anyone here who owns the Bifrost tell me if you can have 3 inputs hooked up to it simultaneously (assuming you have the usb version) and choose between the 3? I'm thinking of getting one, but need to convert more than one digital source, and can't find any info on Schiit's site. Thanks!

I have inputs to USB and optical, and they're both being fed by the laptop simultaneously quite often, USB for the computer and Internet sounds, optical mainly for foobar. This is quite a boon for me as before the Bifrost, I could only output from the laptop with only USB to the uDac2, and when foobar was playing through WASAPI, sometimes video players (including Netflix) in browsers would crash or report error with sound (as foobar took over the sound stream with exclusivity). But with the Bifrost, you can do what you're asking (though I can't be certain of coaxial as I've never tried that out).

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,625 of 13,350
Quote:
I believe so. I just checked really fast... I don't have the USB version, but the bifrost's button on the front switches the input, and I was able to switch from optical to coaxial and back instantly, though I don't have any coaxial input, it did give me back my optical sound when I switched back. I'm not sure about having the three on simultaneously.

Are you able to have it connected to multiple sources?  For instance, could I have it connected to a PC and a receiver and switch back and forth? I'm doing some of my listening via streaming sources through an Internet receiver w/ pre programmed stations w./o having to fool w/ my PC.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,626 of 13,350
Quote:
Are you able to have it connected to multiple sources?  For instance, could I have it connected to a PC and a receiver and switch back and forth? I'm doing some of my listening via streaming sources through an Internet receiver w/ pre programmed stations w./o having to fool w/ my PC.

Yes, you can have all 3 inputs plugged in and then you use the button on the front to select between the inputs.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,627 of 13,350
Quote:

Yes, you can have all 3 inputs plugged in and then you use the button on the front to select between the inputs.

Ok-that's pretty cool. Rats. I was hoping to just spend the $100 on the Modi!

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,628 of 13,350
Quote:
Ok-that's pretty cool. Rats. I was hoping to just spend the $100 on the Modi!

LoL, sorry 
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,629 of 13,350
Quote:

LoL, sorry 
redface.gif

I'm being indecisive...I need someone to slap me in the face to make a choice.

I've got a $200 pair of Grados w/ an Asg2 but no DAC. The sound out of my receiver streaming music is passable...probably because I don't know what I'm missing and I'm saving for a HE 4 or 500 or something similar.

I would just go for a Modi. But, I want to be able to plug into the coaxial and/or optical jacks on my receiver as I'm streaming a lot of music through the receiver and enjoy the convenience of preprogrammed services. Plus the DAC on the Internet receiver produces better quality than my PC.

I suppose it's better to save for prime rib, rather than eat a gourmet hamburger.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,632 of 13,350
I don't think that's a Modi or a Lyr 
blink.gif

Modi is here
http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=41

Lyr
http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=29

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,633 of 13,350
Quote:
I don't think that's a Modi or a Lyr 
blink.gif

Modi is here
http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=41

Lyr
http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=29

Yes, you are correct. In the picture the right unit is the Asgard. The Asgard and Lyr have the same footprint. 

EDIT: On the left side is the Modi on top of a Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back