Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,217 of 13,350
Anyone listened to the Modi paired with the Valhalla?  How would it compare with the bifrost?  I'd like to get a DAC soon, but I don't really want to spend the extra $250 on the Bifrost if it's not $250 better than the Modi...

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,218 of 13,350
Quote:
Anyone listened to the Modi paired with the Valhalla?  How would it compare with the bifrost?  I'd like to get a DAC soon, but I don't really want to spend the extra $250 on the Bifrost if it's not $250 better than the Modi...

The valhalla will not bring out the full detail of the bifrost, in otherwords with the bifrost, the valhalla will be the weaker link.  With the modi/val it's probably safe to say that the modi will be the weak link.  I haven't heard it (modi), but it's a safe guess(using other eqipment at a similar price point as a reference in terms of the modi).  So it depends how much you want to maximize your equipment, and I'd say more than anything it depends how much detail reveal your set of headphones has.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,220 of 13,350
I think they general implication is that the Valhalla is geared towards a warmer, more tube-y sound instead of highly detailed or analytical.

Just my interpretation of Llloyd's statement as I have never heard the Valhalla.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,221 of 13,350
Having owned the Valhalla, I disagree.  It is quite neutral.  It has a hint of midrange tube magic, but it is not a warm amp.  Neutral, with some liquid properties, and slight reduction in sibilance.  Not much treble roll off to mention.  It has great detail retrieval. 

Quote:
I think they general implication is that the Valhalla is geared towards a warmer, more tube-y sound instead of highly detailed or analytical.

Just my interpretation of Llloyd's statement as I have never heard the Valhalla.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,222 of 13,350
I just picked up the  Asgard-first amp for my first cans-Grado 225i. I'm interested in what other Asgard owners have paired with their Asgard?

The Modi looks like a steal. Any Asgard/Modi owners out there? Or do the Asgards fair better with a Bilfrost for few more $? Or, a DAC from a different company? Or,even a portable amp and dac?

Much Thanks...

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,223 of 13,350
Quote:
Having owned the Valhalla, I disagree.  It is quite neutral.  It has a hint of midrange tube magic, but it is not a warm amp.  Neutral, with some liquid properties, and slight reduction in sibilance.  Not much treble roll off to mention.  It has great detail retrieval. 

Completely agree. I think people tend to equate the Valhalla as warm
because it's an all tube amp and that's what is expected.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,224 of 13,350
I have a Beyer T1 and Denon D7k. I want to find a Schiit amp that can pair well with them. Any suggestions?

I'm using Cambirdge Audio Dac Magic plus as my DAC. I prefer a warm signature amp.

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,225 of 13,350

Quote:
I just picked up the  Asgard-first amp for my first cans-Grado 225i. I'm interested in what other Asgard owners have paired with their Asgard?

The Modi looks like a steal. Any Asgard/Modi owners out there? Or do the Asgards fair better with a Bilfrost for few more $? Or, a DAC from a different company? Or,even a portable amp and dac?

Much Thanks...

When I had my Asgard I used it with Grado 80i, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD600 and then Audez'e LCD-2. I also got to try a good number of other cans with it like most of the Denon and Hifiman lines, Sennheiser HD800 and even the K1000. While it may not have been the very best amp for every can, it always sounded good and was quite enjoyable to my taste.

The Modi is very good for $99, and is quite close to the Bifrost if all you're using is USB. I do think the Bifrost sounds a little better, but good luck figuring out how much that's worth to you. I believe one of the other USB DACs that gets brought up with any frequency is the ODAC, but I have not heard it. I would say that the Asgard and Bifrost stacked do look very nice though 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I have a Beyer T1 and Denon D7k. I want to find a Schiit amp that can pair well with them. Any suggestions?

I'm using Cambirdge Audio Dac Magic plus as my DAC. I prefer a warm signature amp.

Thanks.

You should probably look at the Valhalla or Lyr for a warmer amp, although that'll be pretty tube-dependent. Maybe shoot Schiit an email, I'm sure they could recommend which of those they think pairs better with your cans (I would anticipate the Valhalla, but I haven't actually heard it).

Or if you don't mind waiting for a while there's going to be a version of the statement amp that takes tubes.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,226 of 13,350
Quote:

Much Thanks...

I have Asgard with HD800 and lcd2.  Asgard has power to drive them quite nicely.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,227 of 13,350
Quote:
I have Asgard with HD800 and lcd2.  Asgard has power to drive them quite nicely.

Are you paring your Asgard w/ a DAC or no?

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,229 of 13,350
Quote:
I have bifrost with Asgard.  highly recommand this combo but if you have another Dac.  that will also work.

Thanks-with my ever growing audio wishlist, I was hoping to pinch my pennies a little....but, maybe it's better to spring for the better product if it's worth the long term investment in music quality. I'm wondering how much better the Billfrost/Asgard combo would be vs Modi/Asgard....guess that's hard to say, no?

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,230 of 13,350
Quote:
Thanks-with my ever growing audio wishlist, I was hoping to pinch my pennies a little....but, maybe it's better to spring for the better product if it's worth the long term investment in music quality. I'm wondering how much better the Billfrost/Asgard combo would be vs Modi/Asgard....guess that's hard to say, no?

my recommandation is stay away from this forum.  I now trying my best to stay away from this forum.  Now my wishlist stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back