Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,036 of 13,350
Quote:
You can, here is an impression where the author mixed and matched the two combos http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like the Magni/Modi will get the job done for me. Can't find any significant reason to get the larger cousins. (For my use)

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,037 of 13,350
Quote:

Rather than using an iTunes Shared Library, have you tried mounting the remote machine's Music folder on the local machine and bypassing itunes completely?  That should be equivilent to mounting a drive from a NAS.

Amarra runs stand-alone doesn't it?

FAIL
iTunes hangs while trying to add content on a NAS type drive over my network to the iTunes library.
iTunes will not use a library location that is remote.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,038 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm having a odd issue with my shiny new Valhalla. Intermittently the right channel would just cut out, I have experimented with different sources, cables and headphones and the issue is definitely with the amp. However when the right channel is dead if I turn the amp off the right channel would come back (residual power?) on then I can turn the amp on and both channels would stay working. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm thinking it may be caused by faulty tubes.

Hi.  New to the party.  Found this thread because I'm experiencing this same issue, but with my Asgard.

I'll be listening with both channels firing, and then, BAM, left channel drops out mid song.  I can get it back by unplugging/plugging the headphone cord, but I've found that sometimes I have to power it off/on again. 

I've been in touch with Jason Stoddard via email.  I still have some more isolation to nail down to make sure that it's the Asgard and not my sources or preamp.  But I can say, almost with out doubt, that the problem lies with the Asgard.  Perhaps it was damaged during shipping.  Who knows.  It's a great amp when it's working.  I just don't want to deal with a faulty unit.

-Mike

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,039 of 13,350
Quote:

Rather than using an iTunes Shared Library, have you tried mounting the remote machine's Music folder on the local machine and bypassing itunes completely?  That should be equivilent to mounting a drive from a NAS.

Amarra runs stand-alone doesn't it?

Got it working 
L3000.gif

Local Library file pointing to the remote volume.
It's going to take some time to import the pointers.

Many thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,040 of 13,350
Got my Valhalla in the mail today.  Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet since the mailman came as I was getting ready for work, but the instruction manual definitely made me laugh.  The bit about troubleshooting if it won't turn on was gold.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,041 of 13,350
Quote:
Got my Valhalla in the mail today.  Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet since the mailman came as I was getting ready for work, but the instruction manual definitely made me laugh.  The bit about troubleshooting if it won't turn on was gold.

Enjoy it! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,043 of 13,350
Just got home and installed the tubes, plugged her in and I am completely amazed.  I've never had a speaker amp and I've been listening to these Beyers without a headphone amp for a while now.  I honestly don't think I've ever heard music sound this good and I have a $1000+ turntable hooked up to a marantz integrated amp with B&W speakers as my normal system.  I am a changed man.  Headphones > *.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #1,044 of 13,350
Quote:
I visited a friend today to test whether the humming is present there. There were no changes. But we noticed that it made almost no difference whether the left RCA cable was connected to the Asgard or not. I had to put volume quite loud to hear a tiny sound from the left side through the humming.

So. The humming is on the left side even when no RCA is connected. When connected, a very low volume for the left side and perfectly normal on the right side. It just seems that the stuff that deals with the left channel on Asgard is dead. It can get only a tiny amount of volume like there is a minimal contact with whatever connects it to the left RCA slot.

Also when the headphone is connected half way to the Asgard, both sides get the right sides' sound. I don't know if this means anything.

Returned the Asgard and got a replacement. Works perfect. Great service. So much listening ahead :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,046 of 13,350
Quote:
would there be a noticeable difference between magi+modi vs a lyr+byfrost when using a he-500 cans?

I am going to be connect it to my computer via USB

there will be a noticeable difference. First off, the Bifrost is a better DAC, it utilizes a better chip than the Modi, I guess youll be getting slightly more detail with it and you can also play 24/192 high resolution files, while the Modi goes only up to 24/96. Apparently the Magni handles the HE-500 easy, cos its a beastly little amp. Also, the He-500s are slightly easier orthos to drive, but they are still... well.. orthos. However, I doubt you will get the same quality and headroom the Lyr will give you. 

Now, i have not heard the Magin and Modi, but this is my fair guess. 

Oh i cant wait for the Statement gear! I decided to pass on the Balanced stuff, just so I can get the Statement. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,047 of 13,350
I don't know if it's Elves, Dwarfs, or Faries.....
Schiit needs to hire more of them so I can get my Gungnir.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,050 of 13,350
I am *not* Gene Wilder. 

On a happier note, Gungnir shipping resumed today.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back