Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #931 of 13,350
Quote:
Is this a clicking from the dac itself, or a sound passed through the dac to the amp--headphone? I hear a click from within my Gungnir when the VCXOs lock or unlock, but nothing in response to operating system sounds. I think there might have been separate options to set the output of general audio vs. system sounds, so music gets routed to a USB or SPDIF driver while system sounds are fed to the PC speaker driver. I'll have to check to confirm this, but maybe the Mac has some similar settings.

Ah sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. This is a physical clicking from Gungnir. It's not something I paid attention to with Bifrost.

Correct, there's also a clicking from the DAC when changing sample rates (which is normal).

My output is set to the Digital Out. I'll start playing with system alerts.

Maybe others can confirm if using BT,UT, Deluge, RT, Vuze, etc. And report back with your findings as well as noting what OS you're running and what input you're using USB, Coax, or Optical.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #932 of 13,350
Quote:
Ah sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. This is a physical clicking from Gungnir. It's not something I paid attention to with Bifrost.

Correct, there's also a clicking from the DAC when changing sample rates (which is normal).

My output is set to the Digital Out. While Alerts are set to built in speakers of monitor (which are muted ATM).

Maybe others can confirm if using BT,UT, Deluge, RT, Vuze, etc. And report back with your findings as well as noting what OS you're running and what input you're using USB, Coax, or Optical.

Will do.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #933 of 13,350
Quote:

My output is set to the Digital Out. I'll start playing with system alerts.

If the dac is sitting idle for a while, there will be no audio signal.  When a song finishes in and there is a notification sounding, the DAC wil "click" back on for that sound to be transmitted.  This happens with my Bifrost whith email notifications, finished rips, etc.  Is this what you are referring to?

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #934 of 13,350
Try USB. My Bifrost clicks like crazy but only on optical or coaxial digital. USB = zero clicking. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #935 of 13,350
Quote:
If the dac is sitting idle for a while, there will be no audio signal.  When a song finishes in and there is a notification sounding, the DAC wil "click" back on for that sound to be transmitted.  This happens with my Bifrost whith email notifications, finished rips, etc.  Is this what you are referring to?

My Bifrost does not have USB.
On a Mac the Midi config will look like this.  With both music & notifications going to "Built-in Output" (See Icons together)

My Cambridge DAC Magic has USB and it clocks the Mac.  In this configuration the USB is output interface for music and the Built-in Output is used for notifications.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #936 of 13,350
Quote:

I am indeed referring to what would be system notifications in 1 way or another. This particular scenario deals with the clicking as soon as a torrent file has finished.

I just tested and do no experience any clicking when using XLD, nor do I hear clicking for Email notifications.

It's kind of quirky how our experiences differ from one another. And again, why does it happen?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #937 of 13,350
Thanks for help. USB sounds good to me. I think I will stick with it. on another related topic. Any problems with volume level on the Valhalla. I note i need to set volume control to about half or slightly more to hear subtilties of classical music. Is it normal to need to have volume control half way? I have set laptop volume to 100%
In my other system (Rotel CD player and integrated amp) I could set the volume to 2.5 or 3 out of 10 and be at the maximum for my ears.

Thank You
Larry

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #938 of 13,350
Quote:
 volume level on the Valhalla. I note i need to set volume control to about half or slightly more to hear subtleties of classical music. Is it normal to need to have volume control half way? I have set laptop volume to 100%

Thank You
Larry

Sounds about right ! 
L3000.gif
  My Valhalla volume is almost always "around Noon" - 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

And it's all good. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #940 of 13,350
I just ordered the Valhalla's for my DT990/600 ohm.  Now I need to look into getting a DAC.  I've seen pictures of the Valhallas stacked with the Bifrost.  Is that a good combo to go with?  Because I was looking into getting the Modi DAC because of the USB connection so I can hook it to my Mac computer

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #941 of 13,350
Quote:
I just ordered the Valhalla's for my DT990/600 ohm.  Now I need to look into getting a DAC.  I've seen pictures of the Valhallas stacked with the Bifrost.  Is that a good combo to go with?  Because I was looking into getting the Modi DAC because of the USB connection.

My opinion is limited to the fact that I own a Schiit Bifrost and Lyr.  Cans are HD650 and LCD2.  Software Mac with Amarra.
I also own a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus.

I use the Dac Magic with my room system because I prefer the sound of the Bifrost with my headphones.

IMO:
The Bifrost is a very nice DAC.  On their web site Schiit almost prefers Toslink optical over USB.
I would concur.  My Bifrost does not have a USB interface.  I use USB on my DB+ and as I said I prefer my Bifrost withToslink on cans.
Toslink does limit clocking to 24bit 96kHz but Amarra handles my 192kHz files fine.  I cannot hear a difference.
Rather than down sample I am saving money and buying 96kHz flac from HD Tracks.

Stacking  Modi vs Bifrost.
Because your Valhalla has tubes sticking out the top the DAC must go underneath or to the side.
The Modi will not go under the Valhalla either due to size.  The Bifrost will look great under the Valhalla.

Interface.  If you are using a Mac the 3.5mm headphone jack is also an Optical Toslink port.  As such you don't need USB.

Hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #942 of 13,350
Quote:
My opinion is limited to the fact that I own a Schiit Bifrost and Lyr.  Cans are HD650 and LCD2.  Software Mac with Amarra.
I also own a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus.

I use the Dac Magic with my room system because I prefer the sound of the Bifrost with my headphones.

IMO:
The Bifrost is a very nice DAC.  On their web site Schiit almost prefers Toslink optical over USB.
I would concur.  My Bifrost does not have a USB interface.  I use USB on my DB+ and as I said I prefer my Bifrost withToslink on cans.
Toslink does limit clocking to 24bit 96kHz but Amarra handles my 192kHz files fine.  I cannot hear a difference.
Rather than down sample I am saving money and buying 96kHz flac from HD Tracks.

Stacking  Modi vs Bifrost.
Because your Valhalla has tubes sticking out the top the DAC must go underneath or to the side.
The Modi will not go under the Valhalla either due to size.  The Bifrost will look great under the Valhalla.

Interface.  If you are using a Mac the 3.5mm headphone jack is also an Optical Toslink port.  As such you don't need USB.

Hope this helps.

Yep I have the 2011 MacBook Pro model

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #943 of 13,350
Quote:
Yep I have the 2011 MacBook Pro model

Excellent
Now you have the option of going stock Bifrost with Optical Toslink.
You just buy the 3.5mm adapter cone ($2) for the end of a standard Toslink cable and it starts glowing.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #945 of 13,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back