Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #947 of 13,350
I use that configuration for a Mac Mini. Absolutely.

With a MacBook Pro a cable that comes straight out the laptop gets a lot of shear stress.
I ran that cable (Apple style) for some time and it was always getting whacked.

The 90 degree adapter pivots front to back so the cable is streamlined to the back.

That said I do like to minimize "adaptors and connectors" but optical signals are very resilient.

I have had no problem with the adapter.
I use a hight grade Toslink cable.  Mine are a lot beefier. about $20.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #948 of 13,350
Thanks for help. USB sounds good to me. I think I will stick with it. on another related topic. Any problems with volume level on the Valhalla. I note i need to set volume control to about half or slightly more to hear subtilties of classical music. Is it normal to need to have volume control half way? I have set laptop volume to 100%
In my other system (Rotel CD player and integrated amp) I could set the volume to 2.5 or 3 out of 10 and be at the maximum for my ears.

Thank You
Larry

I started with a V-Link into my Bifrost just as I had always used with my DacMagic. But after spending time direct into Bifrost USB, I never wanted to go back. Also Bifrost USB works with full hibernate mode in Jplay and the V-Link does not.

Volume control for me is always 11 to 12.

Enjoy it!

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #949 of 13,350
So, out of no where tonight. my lyr just suddenly dropped volume. It was running pretty hot but it has never done that before. thoughts?

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #953 of 13,350
Quote:
I'll raise you, one piece of Schiit...
biggrin.gif

Ya'll have too may ears.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #959 of 13,350
  To whom it may concern/interest:

I too am a pleased Schiit owner, (Bifrost), along with a pair of Senn. HD650's, single-ended wired...and have been debating between purchasing the Lyr or Mjolnir amp, (balanced cable soon to be on the way)...  I have heard that the Mjolnir is an "end-game" amp, HOWEVER, I keep hearing about an upcoming "Statement" amp from Schiit...and wonder if it might be better to hold off on purchasing one of the afformentioned amps in favor of this new, as yet unrevealed Statement" amp..

Does anyone have any information regarding this new proposed amp., its configuration, capabilities, etc., ?  If/when it might be on the market? 

My appologies if this topic has been previously beaten to death or otherwise dealt with, however, if there is coverage of it, please let me know where to find it?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom 

P.S.  Has anyone ever experienced distortion or noise from their Bifrost if the power cable plug was not alligned "just so"...?  I sometimes hear something on my right channel and wonder why it seems to disapear if I reallign my power cable/plug...(the left and right RCA output cables are solidly coupled to their respective receptors on the Bifrost).

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #960 of 13,350
I'm not aware of any public info on the statement amp at this time as Jason has been pretty hush about it, probably to not get people too excited and cannibalize sales on his other products. If swapping out a power cable doesn't fix your bifrost, I would reach out to schiit directly to get it resolved. It sounds like it's intermittent for you though, so I would try to figure out exactly what's causing it.

There's always going to be better gear coming out. You just have to decide like when buying a PC, do you wait for the next generation of intel chips to make their way into PC's and Notebooks or do you just buy what's available. I like this quote from schiit.com's site. 

Quote: Schiit.com
We also get a lot of people asking about our products for $80 and $100 headphones. Guys (and girls), you should be spending most of your budget on transducers (that is, headphones), then looking at amps and DACs if necessary. The transducer will have the biggest effect on your system’s sound. Our amps won’t turn an $80 Sennheiser into a $1000 Audeze. Nobody’s amps will. Our DACs won’t convert 128kbps MP3s to 24/96 lossless, either. Yes, I know, big shocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back