Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 30, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #916 of 13,350
I got my Lyr this week, when I turn it off I hear some funky popping/cracking noises. I thought this was supposed to be fixed?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #917 of 13,350
Ordered my Modi 9 days ago, no email from  them yet.. ill give it till the 5th or so and chase up i think.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #919 of 13,350
Quote:
I got my Lyr this week, when I turn it off I hear some funky popping/cracking noises. I thought this was supposed to be fixed?

That's "normal" for the Lyr, I get the impression. The relay protects (at turn-on) against the really loud pops (not the 'petering out' sound at turn-off).

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #920 of 13,350
Quote:

That's "normal" for the Lyr, I get the impression. The relay protects (at turn-on) against the really loud pops (not the 'petering out' sound at turn-off).

20 second relay-switched delayed output and immediate relay mute on turn-off

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #923 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I have a question. is new valhalla come with stock tube?

Thank you

Is the question, "Does the new Valhalla come with stock tubes?" ?

If so, yes it's shipped with stock tubes. Four of them.

(though I have a feeling that's not your question! 
blink.gif
  .... or do you mean, "does the new one come with the 'old' stock tubes?" ?

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #924 of 13,350
Received my Valhalla and Bifrost just before Christmas. Using USB connection from Dell Inspiron Laptop (2007) to Beyer DT990 (600ohms). Really like the sound, would using s/pdif or toslink connection improve the sound? Thinking of getting a USB to s/pdif converter (musical fidelity). ?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #925 of 13,350
Quote:
Received my Valhalla and Bifrost just before Christmas. Using USB connection from Dell Inspiron Laptop (2007) to Beyer DT990 (600ohms). Really like the sound, would using s/pdif or toslink connection improve the sound? Thinking of getting a USB to s/pdif converter (musical fidelity). ?

Thanks

There's a thread on this topic, actually. You can find it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/274781/dacs-usb-vs-coax-vs-optical/45#post_9000447

The thread is old, but check out my post.

If anyone has any updated input on this topic, it would be great to know!

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #926 of 13,350
Quote:

Thanks

The general impressions seem to be that Schiit's USB implementation is quite good, to the point that some people prefer it to the other connections. It mainly seems dependent on the quality of the other connections (apparently some Mac optical connections aren't that great?)

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #927 of 13,350
Quote:

Is the question, "Does the new Valhalla come with stock tubes?" ?

If so, yes it's shipped with stock tubes. Four of them.

(though I have a feeling that's not your question! 
blink.gif
  .... or do you mean, "does the new one come with the 'old' stock tubes?" ?

Yes...my grammar!! was out of crappy world...
you're right..but not the second question.
"does the new valhalla come with stock tubes?"

Thanks again.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #928 of 13,350
Schiit owners, I've got a question about the clicking noise. 
There's been all kinds of accounts of the normal sample rate changing clicking, reminder clicking
(clicking when no music is playing, like, every 5 minutes or so) and so on.

I've just recently realized that I'll get a clicking every time a torrent of mine finishes. I'm on Mac and use Transmission.
Anybody else experiencing this, regardless of OS or application used?

And finally, it doesn't bother me one bit, it's a nice indication if I'm not looking that it's done. However I'm open to insight
on why exactly this occurs.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #929 of 13,350
Schiit owners, I've got a question about the clicking noise. 
There's been all kinds of accounts of the normal sample rate changing clicking, reminder clicking
(clicking when no music is playing, like, every 5 minutes or so) and so on.

I've just recently realized that I'll get a clicking every time a torrent of mine finishes. I'm on Mac and use Transmission.
Anybody else experiencing this, regardless of OS or application used?

And finally, it doesn't bother me one bit, it's a nice indication if I'm not looking that it's done. However I'm open to insight
on why exactly this occurs.

Is this a clicking from the dac itself, or a sound passed through the dac to the amp--headphone? I hear a click from within my Gungnir when the VCXOs lock or unlock, but nothing in response to operating system sounds. I think there might have been separate options to set the output of general audio vs. system sounds, so music gets routed to a USB or SPDIF driver while system sounds are fed to the PC speaker driver. I'll have to check to confirm this, but maybe the Mac has some similar settings.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #930 of 13,350
Quote:
Is this a clicking from the dac itself, or a sound passed through the dac to the amp--headphone? I hear a click from within my Gungnir when the VCXOs lock or unlock, but nothing in response to operating system sounds. I think there might have been separate options to set the output of general audio vs. system sounds, so music gets routed to a USB or SPDIF driver while system sounds are fed to the PC speaker driver. I'll have to check to confirm this, but maybe the Mac has some similar settings.

Yes Barry,
In the Midi setup of a Mac you can route "notification" sound to either the internal speaker output or the source USB/SPDIF output.

Dox,
 I'm using a Bifrost, Mac, with  Amarra HiFi.

Yes, my Bifrost clicks twice externally, (not through the cans) when the sample rate of the source music changes.  I believe that Schiit documents this as normal.

My Bifrost will also click periodically when I halt iTunes / Amarra.  This makes sense because it is searching for a clock to sync with.

Otherwise no sounds.

I have an Amarra software anomaly.
On spurious occasions a song will play for 1 or 2 seconds, stop, reset to the beginning, and play.  I have not considered if this happens during a change in the music source sampling rate.  I'm not paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back