Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #556 of 13,350
I know tube rolling can be quite addicting (rightfully so, it's such an economic/easy way to change sound signature), but how are the tube options they include with the Lyr in the first place?  I really don't want to go with the Mjolnir since I'm not ready to go with the balanced/XLR setups (I don't really think I'd take advantage of that anyway).  More feedback I read about the Schiit gear from you guys the more excited I get.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #557 of 13,350
Quote:
I know tube rolling can be quite addicting (rightfully so, it's such an economic/easy way to change sound signature), but how are the tube options they include with the Lyr in the first place?  I really don't want to go with the Mjolnir since I'm not ready to go with the balanced/XLR setups (I don't really think I'd take advantage of that anyway).  More feedback I read about the Schiit gear from you guys the more excited I get.

Generally the consensus is the stock JJ tubes Lyr comes with suck. They're pretty awful.
I find the Lyr to be a very flat amp with the JJ's.

The GE's are the other stock tubes that come with Lyr, they're much better.
Improvements can be made with tube rolling for good value, however
if you want to truely optimize or reach Lyr's full potential going full on in the tube rolling
game is a must. I believe if you really research your tubes you can bring Lyr's full potential in
for just under $1k.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #559 of 13,350
Yeah that seems to jive with what I've been picking up.  So I'll definitely go with the GE's then.  Thanks for the advice on the tube rolling, I'm sure after I get over the initial woos and ahhs on the GE's with the Lyr I'll be regularly researching that tube rolling thread for Lyr.   This hobby is evil.  =P

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #560 of 13,350
When I got the Lyr i went a little nuts on tube rolling.  In the end, I like the stock GE's but wish I didn't sell my Lorenz Stuttgart.  I may try the Gold Lions which are said to be a little better than the GE's and I'll probably stop there. The GE's really need 30-60 minutes to sound their best.  Really, you don't need to tube roll and just enjoy the Lyr.  But, this is Head-Fi and that wouldn't be any fun! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
I've never used any other tubes, or a tube amp before, for that matter.  Everyone was pointing to the GE's so that is what I got.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #561 of 13,350
I think my mismatch LED lights could have been all from different production times. 

My process went like this:

1.) bought the old Valhalla off a head-fi member

2.) bought the Bifrost when it first came out

3.) just bought a Lyr recently

so I understand why the led could be different from each batch, I'm sure Schiit have a more uniform production now. I just didn't have the money to buy everything at one time. Its interesting to see how their products evolve as well. The on/off switch gets more smooth with the later production.

But I don't stack my Lyr on top of my Bifrost anymore, so the LED issue doesn't bother me anymore. (I just don't want there to be too much heat on the two devices, that and I electric taped the Bifrost lights lol) 

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #562 of 13,350
My first post at Head-fi! Joined specifically because of this thread. 
L3000.gif

I've owned the Bifrost and the Asgard for several months now, and I could not be any happier. Thinking of getting the Lyr soon. anyway, thanks for starting this thread. Hope to get a lot of info on this and other threads, particularly on tube rolling for the Lyr (when I get it...hopefully soon). 

If I ask a lot of stupid questions, please be patient, as I'm new to this hobby. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #563 of 13,350
I just added some Schiit to the arsenal. 

I could not be happier with what this combination has done to the HD650's and its not half bad for the DT880/Ω either. Not sure how soon I will jump into the tube rolling thing. So far I enjoy the heck out of the stock GE's. 

Black and White seems to help mask the horrible cell phone picture....lol

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #564 of 13,350
Hi,

I am new to this thread.  I have the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo and very much like their performance together.  I found Power Conditioning and Power Cords makes great improvements to the Lyr/Bifrost besides the right tubes to use on the Lyr. As for cables, I just use the PYST and never had the inclination to try different ones yet.

Regards.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #565 of 13,350
The Lyr is my first tube amp, and I love it. It replaces an old Creek OBH-11 I've been using and I love it's sound.

Still using the stock tubes though. If I was going to roll in new ones, any recommendations on the first ones to go with?

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #568 of 13,350
Hello all, just joined the forum after picking up an HD 650 (and annoying my wife with the open back design which is part of the allure).  Love the headphones, but I've only been listening to them through a NuForce Icon-2 that I plan on returning.  I am awaiting delivery of a Bifrost and Valhalla, but with all the talk of the Lyr (I waffled pretty bad between Valhalla and Lyr) makes me wonder if I made the right decision.

I suppose the best remedy is to just listen to the Valhalla as much as a I can and if I'm not a fan try out the Lyr?  Is there anything I would specifically be missing with the Valhalla over the Lyr?  I should note I have never listened to a tube amp either with full size loudspeakers or headphones.  :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #570 of 13,350
When I was in contact with Jason from Schiit a couple weeks ago and were discussing either the Lyr or Valhalla for the HD650 he said either was fine. He said it basically came down to if I was going to go Ortho headphones or not as which to choose. I am jumping into Ortho headphones next so I opted for the Lyr. Plus it's a hybrid and I hate messing with power tubes so that was another plus for the Lyr to me personally.

That Valhalla should be great and I wouldn't worry about it compared to the Lyr. If it wasn't for the two outside of sound variables a stated above I would have gone with the Valhalla too.

Enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back