Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #541 of 13,350
As a future HD800 owner I have looked at both the Lyr and the Mjolnir. I have never experimented with tube amps, but keep reading that the HD800 really shines with them. Which one i go with would certainly influence whether I look more at the Bifrost or the Gungnir. 

Thoughts?

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #544 of 13,350
After a bit of a wait, I've got a Lyr and Bifrost coming tomorrow.  Byebye Fiio E7/E9... I can't wait! 
biggrin.gif

Their customer service was very helpful in the ordering process.  I hope the product is as good as their service has been!

I kind of wonder how different these will sound vs the FiiO pair.  I've never had the opportunity to listen to anything better before.  Some people have said it will be a day and night difference, but I wonder how that is possible.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #546 of 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kind of wonder how different these will sound vs the FiiO pair.  I've never had the opportunity to listen to anything better before.  Some people have said it will be a day and night difference, but I wonder how that is possible.

Hmmmmm, a lot of that depends on your headphones.  It's night and day for some, but not necessarily for everyone.  Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #547 of 13,350
Quote:

For your HD650s I think you're going to be in for a real treat.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #548 of 13,350
Quote:
Quote:

For your HD650s I think you're going to be in for a real treat.

Looking forward to your impressions.

[size=medium]IMO….more juice from Lyr trends to make HD-650 more natural…..dark nature is almost lost…low mids is raised by 1 db and high-mids gain much more maybe 2-3 db. If you like dark nature of HD-650, then you may not like the change….but overall dynamics of HD-650 will gain’s with Lyr and makes them much more enjoyable…..tubes rolling will add to excitement  
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #549 of 13,350
Quote:

[size=medium]IMO….more juice from Lyr trends to make HD-650 more natural…..dark nature is almost lost…low mids is raised by 1 db and high-mids gain much more maybe 2-3 db. If you like dark nature of HD-650, then you may not like the change….but overall dynamics of HD-650 will gain’s with Lyr and makes them much more enjoyable…..tubes rolling will add to excitement  
beerchug.gif
[/size]

+1, Lyr has amazing synergy with HD650!

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #550 of 13,350
Wow, am I glad I took the afternoon off!

Initial response is goosebumps.  Lots of them. The HD650's sound way more dynamic now.  The low lows are felt a lot more, and the mids are a lot more forward.  In the past I've really had a problem with sibilance from hi-hats.  It is gone now.  The beginning of Dark Side of the Moon feels like the whole house is pulsing.  The clocks and alarms at the beginning of "Time" don't hurt my ears anymore either.

It isn't very scientific, but my major observation is that the headphones sound a LOT fuller now.  The E9 produces a somewhat hollow sound compared to this.

Saw something about LED colors not matching on the Lyr and Bifrost, but mine do.  Maybe that was an issue a long time ago...

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #551 of 13,350
That's good news to hear, I just picked up the HD650, HE500, and trying to pick up a pair of the Denon ah-d7000 as well.  I currently got the ODAC/O2 setup but am looking to go all in with the Schiit equipment.  Was thinking about the BifrostAsgard but the more I read, it seems that Lyr really is the way to go to open up these sets.  I've really jumped into tube amps myself, anything special I need to know in terms of maintenance?  I need to even start researching probably which of those tubes included with the Lyr even is the way to go for the warmest/natural setup....Any advice from current owners?

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #552 of 13,350
Quote:
Wow, am I glad I took the afternoon off!

Initial response is goosebumps.  Lots of them. The HD650's sound way more dynamic now.  The low lows are felt a lot more, and the mids are a lot more forward.  In the past I've really had a problem with sibilance from hi-hats.  It is gone now.  The beginning of Dark Side of the Moon feels like the whole house is pulsing.  The clocks and alarms at the beginning of "Time" don't hurt my ears anymore either.

Now start tube rolling. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #553 of 13,350
... or simply buy the Mjolnir and avoid all the tube-rolling hazzle / cost. It is actually more sensible. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #554 of 13,350
Quote:
... or simply buy the Mjolnir and avoid all the tube-rolling hazzle / cost. It is actually more sensible. 
rolleyes.gif

What is done, is done. But yea, it would have been more sensible all things considered on getting Mjolnir.
Although, I had a buttload of fun tube rolling, even though i emptied my wallet like nothing else I've experience thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back