Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 1, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13,291 of 13,350
Che

Cheers for the reply. Would you recommend any cables in particular?
I’m probably not the best person to ask about cables, I mainly get them for ergonomic reasons. You might get some better tips in the respective headphone forums?

That said, I did get a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable along with my Empyrean second hand, and it‘s great.

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #13,292 of 13,350
Che

Cheers for the reply. Would you recommend any cables in particular?
Watch confusing low impedance with ‘easy to drive’ for planard like LCD and Dan Clark stuff. Planars want current, and sound better the more they get (my DCAs really open up with more current, and sound thin and rather anemic with lower current sources.

with that said, Hart Audio Cables do reasonably priced headphone cables (and their modular architecture makes it easy to get balanced and single-ended terminations so you can easily swap between them and hear the difference (or lack thereof)!

https://hartaudiocables.com/

enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #13,293 of 13,350
I just won a Valhalla 2 on the eBay. I have a Vali 2, Jot 2, and Lyr 3. Recently got a Piety too.
ok so its been a bit and I'm curious because I originally wanted a Jot2, but someone said try the Val so I got one and I've been running it for a month or two now and its great but still in the back of my head I want to try the Jot. I also have a Piety that is currently slowly meandering its way from California to Michigan and will be here soon.

How does the Jot2 compare the the Val2?

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #13,294 of 13,350
Short of digging through the whole board to determine the consensus, here’s a quick Schiit question:

I’m using a Modi/Magni 2U stack right now and I’m thinking about setting up a second one in a different room. Is there any advantage to the Modi+/Magni+ (or Heresy) over my current setup? I’m basically wondering which of these stacks would be the “A team” or if they’re essentially the same sonically?

Thanks! My other option is to re-think the whole thing and go to Modius/Magnius or maybe a Modi+ and one of the tube based models.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #13,295 of 13,350
Short of digging through the whole board to determine the consensus, here’s a quick Schiit question:

I’m using a Modi/Magni 2U stack right now and I’m thinking about setting up a second one in a different room. Is there any advantage to the Modi+/Magni+ (or Heresy) over my current setup? I’m basically wondering which of these stacks would be the “A team” or if they’re essentially the same sonically?

Thanks! My other option is to re-think the whole thing and go to Modius/Magnius or maybe a Modi+ and one of the tube based models.
Magni Piety for a slightly different sound....???

Leo

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #13,296 of 13,350

I’m with @Luckyleo on this one. Part of the joy of listening is mixing it up a bit. My Modi2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber are in my wife’s office at the moment, still going strong and sounding great. If you are after another small stack, why not do a current Modi and a Vali 2? You’ll get a great-sounding intro to tubes without breaking any piggy banks. Piety is also great, as is the current Magni +.

My travel rig is a DAP and a Vali 2 with a couple tubes. It’s that good. Yes, you have a number of REALLY GOOD choices. None are bad, hell, none are even just OK. Hard to go wrong here. But if it were me, change would be in order - something other than Magni/Modi. if you have more questions, ask - and do let us know what you choose, and how you like whatever that is!

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #13,297 of 13,350
I’m with @Luckyleo on this one. Part of the joy of listening is mixing it up a bit. My Modi2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber are in my wife’s office at the moment, still going strong and sounding great. If you are after another small stack, why not do a current Modi and a Vali 2? You’ll get a great-sounding intro to tubes without breaking any piggy banks. Piety is also great, as is the current Magni +.

My travel rig is a DAP and a Vali 2 with a couple tubes. It’s that good. Yes, you have a number of REALLY GOOD choices. None are bad, hell, none are even just OK. Hard to go wrong here. But if it were me, change would be in order - something other than Magni/Modi. if you have more questions, ask - and do let us know what you choose, and how you like whatever that is!

Cool. Good advice. I’ve had the MM2U stack for many years. I suppose it is time to upgrade…

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #13,298 of 13,350
ok so its been a bit and I'm curious because I originally wanted a Jot2, but someone said try the Val so I got one and I've been running it for a month or two now and its great but still in the back of my head I want to try the Jot. I also have a Piety that is currently slowly meandering its way from California to Michigan and will be here soon.

How does the Jot2 compare the the Val2?
Do you mean the Vali 2 or the Valhalla 2?

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #13,299 of 13,350
Do you mean the Vali 2 or the Valhalla 2?
Lol, good point. I made the ASSumption that it was Vali 2 (one of the 3 variants thereof), as it’s the next logical step. I have the original 2 (no + or ++) and love it.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #13,300 of 13,350
This is my tallest stack of Schiit yet....

0Mgwlm2.jpg

Schiit Bifrost 2/64
Schiit Lokius
Schiit Saga
(1957 Sylvania 6SN7GT)
Schiit Asgard 3
Schiit Lyr 3
(1952 JAN Philco 7N7)

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #13,302 of 13,350
It’s not always quite as simple as working out the power available for a given load, as the SE and Balanced on an amp can be implemented differently, and also sound different. Sure a headphone or IEM may be easy to drive, but not so easy to drive well.

I don’t know the Rag2, but on my Jot2 the balanced out sounds significantly better than SE, and can transform even a super-sensitive low-impedance IEM like the Campfire Andromeda2020. The big difference I hear is in dynamics, and bass weight, which expands the sound stage in all directions for a much grander listen.

I suspect your LCD-XC will benefit from going balanced, planars always appreciate more available power in my experience. If it was me and I’d invested in Yggy2/Rag2, I’d want to go all the way and get balanced cables for my headphones.
The Rag 1 and Rag 2 both put out substantially more power into balanced then SE out. My 600 certainly sounds better as do/did every can I had on my Rag 1. Every can I plug into it is balanced now. For the HD-600 and 800, OTL amps sound even better.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #13,303 of 13,350
This is my tallest stack of Schiit yet....

0Mgwlm2.jpg

Schiit Bifrost 2/64
Schiit Lokius
Schiit Saga
(1957 Sylvania 6SN7GT)
Schiit Asgard 3
Schiit Lyr 3
(1952 JAN Philco 7N7)
That's a fabulous setup must of taken a while to collect that kit. I wonder if I can pick your brains? I have a rotel a11 amp, I have a magni and a loki mini, I have connected them I have tone control over the magni.

I was expecting the sound to return to the speakers once the magni was switched off. But this is not the case. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back