Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 28, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #13,159 of 13,350
Currently pairing Modius with Emotiva A-100 (driving Paradigm Atom v5’s I had sitting around, as well as my HD-6XX’s). Beefier near field desktop set-up than I was ever imagining, but WFH during the pandemic has made for a lot of listening while working. Loving it.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #13,162 of 13,350
Hey guys. I'm really undecided on the Asgard 3 or Lyr 3 (will order a Bifrost 2 with it).

Anyone compared them? Are they more similar than different?

I have both, compared with the Bifrost2 which I also have.

TL;DR:
Asgard3 is very good, but I prefer the Lyr3.

The slightly longer version:
My Lyr3 is equipped with a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, and I use HD6XX headphones.
Using Lyr3 as the reference, the Asgard3 has less wide/deep soundstage (more in your head). Is a bit less engaging, less dynamic (the toe-tapping factor). Asgard3 also has less low end bass/more upper mids emphasis and is perhaps a bit more dry sounding. YMMV and all that applies of course. Then there’s the tube rolling factor as well, which may be both a pro and a con (I think it’s great and you only need one tube with the Lyr3).

I hope this helps :L3000:

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #13,163 of 13,350

TL;DR:

My Lyr3 is equipped with a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, and I use HD6XX headphones.
Using Lyr3 as the reference, the Asgard3 has less wide/deep soundstage (more in your head). Is a bit less engaging, less dynamic (the toe-tapping factor). Asgard3 also has less low end bass/more upper mids emphasis and is perhaps a bit more dry sounding. YMMV and all that applies of course. Then there’s the tube rolling factor as well, which may be both a pro and a con (I think it’s great and you only need one tube with the Lyr3).

Thanks - very helpful! Also nice that one of my headphones is the HD6xx. My primary one is the Sony Z1rs. I was leaning towards the Lyr but haven't read much on it yet.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #13,164 of 13,350
Currawang had said in one of his videos the Bifrost was like a mini Yggdrasil and for the money difference that seems to be a plus he also said in a blind a/b he probably could not pick out the Asgard3 over the Lyr so that speaks volumes for the performance of the Asgard3 if you trust his reviews I do or agree with most of his findings so far.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #13,165 of 13,350

TL;DR:

If I could ask a follow-up (to anyone really), are tube amps ready to go in a few minutes after warming up? I'm used to guitar amps which are good to go in a minute or two but have never used a tube headphone amp.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #13,166 of 13,350
If I could ask a follow-up (to anyone really), are tube amps ready to go in a few minutes after warming up? I'm used to guitar amps which are good to go in a minute or two but have never used a tube headphone amp.
Back when I had tube gear inside of 15 minutes it was ready and sounded great but it was better sounding than just a few after start up.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #13,167 of 13,350
I've owned tube receivers and integrated amps, one tube headphone amp, and always found that after 30 minutes the were warm and sounding great. I wouldn't wait 30 minutes before starting a record but they just hit the mark after a half hour or so.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #13,169 of 13,350
I've owned tube receivers and integrated amps, one tube headphone amp, and always found that after 30 minutes the were warm and sounding great. I wouldn't wait 30 minutes before starting a record but they just hit the mark after a half hour or so.

30 minutes sounds about right. I have all tube gear in my main system. MFG of my integrated suggests 30 minutes to allow the tubes to reach their optimum sonic performance.

Never owned a hybrid anything before and this will be my first headphone amp but in general, I would imagine a bedding-in period would be needed for SS, hybrid and all tube circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back