Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #13,186 of 13,350
Hey all do any of you with a Bifrost use a usb-c to usb-a cord to run either a dap or phone into it?

I ask because I was really excited to get it and haven't been able to use it as I don't get any sound connected that way. I can tell they aren't communicating because my DAP recognizes when it's hooked up to a DAC.

I have an email in to Schiit but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out how to hook it to my computer to see if it's possibly the new cord.

Yes, I do that with my Bifrost 2. Phone is Pixel 4XL. It works well.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #13,188 of 13,350
Hey all do any of you with a Bifrost use a usb-c to usb-a cord to run either a dap or phone into it?

I ask because I was really excited to get it and haven't been able to use it as I don't get any sound connected that way. I can tell they aren't communicating because my DAP recognizes when it's hooked up to a DAC.

I have an email in to Schiit but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out how to hook it to my computer to see if it's possibly the new cord.
Here's how I do it... usb-c to rca with an xDuoo DAP

https://shop.musicteck.com/products...XUy-6tJzBzvzte5Es2zJq1sTVycMc2qRoClTUQAvD_BwE

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #13,191 of 13,350

What kind of USB-C to A cable are you using?

For iPhone you would need the Lightning to USB camera adapter, and for Android an USB OTG (“on the go”) cable. This is needed for the phone to become a USB “master” device that it needs to be to connect to a DAC to play sound (or camera to get pictures/etc).

I have an iPhone with the Lightning to USB camera adapter cable and it works great with the Bifrost2, but won’t work with DACs drawing too much power through the USB connection (the phone will complain with a “draws too much power” message in that case).

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #13,192 of 13,350

For iPhone you would need the Lightning to USB camera adapter, and for Android an USB OTG (“on the go”) cable. This is needed for the phone to become a USB “master” device that it needs to be to connect to a DAC to play sound (or camera to get pictures/etc).

I have an iPhone with the Lightning to USB camera adapter cable and it works great with the Bifrost2, but won’t work with DACs drawing too much power through the USB connection (the phone will complain with a “draws too much power” message in that case).
Yep...I have the Android USB OTG setup and it works fine as well. :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #13,193 of 13,350

This one. It's made for audio use so I thought it should work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CPGMLHX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_VO5VFbDXDH4EG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #13,194 of 13,350

That seems like a standard USB cable for connecting a computer to a device. I’m no expert on things Android, but I think this one’ll work:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...&keywords=usb+on+the+go&qid=1606392934&sr=8-5

or this one (usb-c):
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-JSAU...FhUl4VwMzbE4fw/w==&smid=A20J3ITGSOMSJG&sr=8-3

Perhaps @GearMe can correct me if I’m wrong:)

Edit: You’ll also need another cable from the otg cable’s USB-A connector to the dac.
Edit: Added another link to otg sub-cable.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #13,196 of 13,350
That seems like a standard USB cable for connecting a computer to a device. I’m no expert on things Android, but I think this one’ll work:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...&keywords=usb+on+the+go&qid=1606392934&sr=8-5

or this one (usb-c):
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-JSAUX-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B07L749R9R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_mod_primary_lightning_deal?dchild=1&keywords=usb-c+on+the+go&qid=1606393765&sbo=Tc8eqSFhUl4VwMzbE4fw/w==&smid=A20J3ITGSOMSJG&sr=8-3

Perhaps @GearMe can correct me if I’m wrong:)

Edit: You’ll also need another cable from the otg cable’s USB-A connector to the dac.
Edit: Added another link to otg sub-cable.
Thanks! And I messed up - it's not usb-a, it's usb-b on the other end (goes directly into the Bifrost 2). My mistake. It's a 2.0 cable so it should work. I ordered some of these suggested cables though and will see Monday if it's a cable issue or Bifrost issue.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #13,197 of 13,350
Sorry to beat this to death but I'm pretty dang disappointed in Schiit at this point. When I decided to order the Bifrost 2 as an upgrade to my Schiit stack I sent an email to them asking what cable I'd need to connect my DAP (sony xz507) with usb-c to the Bifrost. My responses came from Jason S - who I can only assume is the owner, but maybe am wrong.

His answer was a usb-c to usb-a cable, when it was supposed to be usb-b. After straightening that out and getting my Bifrost and not being able to use with the recommened cable I've reached out to them and since someone there named Daniel has told me I need an OTG adapter now. So extra parts and the wrong answer from customer service. Plus I just want to hear the dang thing and haven't been able to.

Anyway, just venting but I'm guessing they're best suited selling their Schiit stacks and leaving higher end stuff and customer service with companies that can handle it.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #13,198 of 13,350
Your Sony has a USB type-C connection correct? Seems Daniel gave you the correct info. USB A-B cable would not work with a Type-C port. It’s a good idea to consult the guides page On Schiit’s website.

Schiit does need to do some website cleanup though. There are broken links and links that reference the wrong product. I’ve tried pointing this out to both Jason and Denise but so far, the broken links and mis-direction haven’t been addressed.

Schitt has been involved in opening a new facility in Texas, it‘s a holiday weekend and don’t forget we’re in the middle of a pandemic, so a little patience is in order.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #13,199 of 13,350
Your Sony has a USB type-C connection correct? Seems Daniel gave you the correct info. USB A-B cable would not work with a Type-C port. It’s a good idea to consult the guides page On Schiit’s website.

Schiit does need to do some website cleanup though. There are broken links and links that reference the wrong product. I’ve tried pointing this out to both Jason and Denise but so far, the broken links and mis-direction haven’t been addressed.

Schitt has been involved in opening a new facility in Texas, it‘s a holiday weekend and don’t forget we’re in the middle of a pandemic, so a little patience is in order.
Right, but you're missing the point. Jason admitted the Usb-c to usb-a was a typo (no big deal) but the problem is that the usb-c to usb-b doesn't work either. The manual doesn't state this and when I pre-emptivevly wanted to order cables so I could acrually use my new equipment I emailed them for which cables to buy. Which was apparently not accurate in the first place.

It's buried somewhere else in the website and not that easy to understand. For example, it reads that the android devices can't supply enough power to power the dac. When the dac has it's own power supply why does it need additional power. My modi 3 didn't.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #13,200 of 13,350
Sorry to beat this to death but I'm pretty dang disappointed in Schiit at this point. When I decided to order the Bifrost 2 as an upgrade to my Schiit stack I sent an email to them asking what cable I'd need to connect my DAP (sony xz507) with usb-c to the Bifrost. My responses came from Jason S - who I can only assume is the owner, but maybe am wrong.

His answer was a usb-c to usb-a cable, when it was supposed to be usb-b. After straightening that out and getting my Bifrost and not being able to use with the recommened cable I've reached out to them and since someone there named Daniel has told me I need an OTG adapter now. So extra parts and the wrong answer from customer service. Plus I just want to hear the dang thing and haven't been able to.

Anyway, just venting but I'm guessing they're best suited selling their Schiit stacks and leaving higher end stuff and customer service with companies that can handle it.

I suspect Jason was referring to a USB C to USB A female adapter. That would also work if you already had a USB B cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back