Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #12,796 of 13,350
Love my 'rok, have it paired up with an Oppo (RIP) UDP205 and I think it sounds phenomal for the $$.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #12,797 of 13,350
My Massdrop HD6xx just arrived. I plugged them into my ModiMB-Loki-Magni3. Bypassed the Loki, flipped the gain switch to "high", and fired up some early Doobie Brothers. Oh dang! :L3000:

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #12,799 of 13,350
Any specific doobie brothers album you'd recommend?
I'm a VERY casual listener of the Doobies... strictly the singles that hit Billboard (ex., What A Fool Believes, Takin' It To The Streets, China Grove, Listen To The Music). It's what I remember playing on my clock radio in elementary school, grades 5-7.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #12,800 of 13,350
I'm a VERY casual listener of the Doobies... strictly the singles that hit Billboard (ex., What A Fool Believes, Takin' It To The Streets, China Grove, Listen To The Music). It's what I remember playing on my clock radio in elementary school, grades 5-7.
Thanks, I am more of an album listener myself, and sometimes when faced with an artist that has a huge back catalog it can be a bit overwhelming where to start. Often the allmusic recommended album is a good place to start (although they sometimes recommend a "greatest hits" album, booh!).

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #12,801 of 13,350
Got Valhalla2 for HD600. However I hear some harshness in treble which is fatiguing me out.
Any way to overcome it by tube rolling or shall I try EQ.
I use Audirvana for Tidal.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #12,802 of 13,350
Got Valhalla2 for HD600. However I hear some harshness in treble which is fatiguing me out.
Any way to overcome it by tube rolling or shall I try EQ.
I use Audirvana for Tidal.

People have gotten good results using a pair of EH 6CG7.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #12,803 of 13,350
I am in need a new Amp for the vinyl and tape collection listening with the HD650. I have been using a Schiit Asgard 2 (and bimby) for 4-5 years now on my desk rig, but I now need to separate the analog music and the desk set-up. I want to try a OTL tube amp since I hear they work great with the HD650 and the idea of tubes and analog music just makes sense to me.

So I've looked into the Darkvoice and Bottlehead + crack, but I love the look of the Valhalla 2 and I am already sold of Schiit products (I also think the mani is the best phono preamp on the market). From research it sounds like the Valhalla 2 is not very "tubey", but this might mix well with the warm nature of the HD650. Thoughts and/or feedback from people with a similar set-up?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #12,804 of 13,350
I am in need a new Amp for the vinyl and tape collection listening with the HD650. I have been using a Schiit Asgard 2 (and bimby) for 4-5 years now on my desk rig, but I now need to separate the analog music and the desk set-up. I want to try a OTL tube amp since I hear they work great with the HD650 and the idea of tubes and analog music just makes sense to me.

So I've looked into the Darkvoice and Bottlehead + crack, but I love the look of the Valhalla 2 and I am already sold of Schiit products (I also think the mani is the best phono preamp on the market). From research it sounds like the Valhalla 2 is not very "tubey", but this might mix well with the warm nature of the HD650. Thoughts and/or feedback from people with a similar set-up?
I think Valhalla2 is better match fo HD650 then 600. On 600 the treble is dry for me but I guess a laid back headphone like 650 might benefit from that.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #12,805 of 13,350

I have heard all 3. The best with hd650 is La Figaro 339, followed by Crack then Valhalla2. YMMV.

I had Darkvoice 336se which is very good with hd650 too, only best by its big brother the La Figaro 339.

Further up the chain, I had the Ragnarok which was very good with hd650 but I have since sold off the Rag.

My main amp now is Glenn's OTL amp which is great with hd800, hd650, lcd2f and lots of headphone.

I have a DNA Stratus on order. I heard this blue amp is great with all those headphones too.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #12,806 of 13,350
Hey y'all, I am also a Shiit lover. Have a Bitfrost and a Asgard 2 paired with HD650s. I'm looking to move up to a Valhalla 2 (curiosity gets the best of me). Anyways, is there anyone in the El Paso area that has a Valhalla I could try? Probably a long shot, but it would be fun to meet other head-fi folks in the area too!

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #12,807 of 13,350

Hey y'all, I am also a Shiit lover. Have a Bitfrost and a Asgard 2 paired with HD650s. I'm looking to move up to a Valhalla 2 (curiosity gets the best of me). Anyways, is there anyone in the El Paso area that has a Valhalla I could try? Probably a long shot, but it would be fun to meet other head-fi folks in the area too!

I've gathered the HD650 (or in my case, the Massdrop HD6xx clone) loves tubes... And my ModiMB/Magni3 is powering it without issues. When it's time to get more Schiit gear, I'll go the non-silver-box route (ex., Asgard-Bifrost pairing, or an all-in-one Jotunheim). I want bigger knobs! In my case, it won't be for several years. Hope you find a Valhalla in El Paso, @samkb

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #12,808 of 13,350
well i was about to return my Valhalla 2 as i didn't like the synergy with HD600. i guess upper mid and lower treble issue of Valhalla 2.
However i like it with Sony MDR z1R in low gain mode. Sony MDR Z1R is little dark sounding and hence has better synergy. I do hear little bloomy bass but at high volume, however it definitely gives richer midrange and bass.
Does anyone have similar experience. the output impedance is around 4 at low gain mode and sony Mdr z1r is 64

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #12,809 of 13,350
Hey @samkb , folks!

Hope you find another "Schiithead" in your area, hehe. I never really had a chance to compare it to other amps, but when I got it, I was really happy about the aesthetics/design, especially if we use the tube extenders... which I think helps cool off the tubes as well... Soundwise, it suits my needs, so I am a happy puppy in that sense.. it is quite affordable... so that it a gigantic plus!

cheers!

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #12,810 of 13,350
Thanks for all the advice. I almost won a Valhalla 2 on eBay for a good price but was out bid by $5.

Instead, I saw a few Vali 2 amps on the Schiit b-stock section for only $99. Figured it was a no brainer to at least get my turntable set up again and playing music. I think ill save up for a true OTL amp later in the year. Based on my research the little Vali 2 is no slouch and should pair well with the HD650. Excited for my first taste of tubes outside of a guitar amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back