Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #12,676 of 13,350
Can you describe the noise? I got crackling/popping (especially at the end of tracks) with both Modi Multibits I owned, but couldn't determine the cause. (Schiit couldn't either, as both were tested and they could not reproduce the problem.) It could be an issue with your system/computer.

It's basically static / hiss, with an occasional light cracking/pop. It happens all the time, weather music is playing or not.

Does the noise continue after restarting both the Jot and Mimby and leaving the USB cable connected?
JJ

Unplugged both, left both plugged in for a day to make sure they are warmed up...nothing changes, always have a hiss coming from the Mimby USB. I went and bought an optical cable and that doesn't have the noise, so I used that to A/B with the internal DAC on the Jot. I've come to the conclusion that my ears aren't good enough to hear any difference between the 2 dacs, so I'm going to send the Mimby back. Very disappointed, was hoping/expecting a big change in sound from the Jot internal DAC.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #12,678 of 13,350
If you have a laptop, you could try unplugging its power cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure since it's a problem with the USB input on the Mimby since the moving it over directly to the Jot has very little noise, if any. Also, the optical output on the Mimby has very little noise so I was able to do a fairly close comparison with the Jot USB DAC. The Mimby has slightly better separation, but not enough for me to justify spending $250 on it. I think I'll save up for a Gumby. The USB Jot already sounds good to me with either my Elear or TH-X00 (modded), so for now I'll just suppress my audiophile curiosities and be happy with what I have.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #12,679 of 13,350
It's basically static / hiss, with an occasional light cracking/pop. It happens all the time, weather music is playing or not.

Hey abirdie4me. I'm having static issues with my bifrost of over 4 years. Static is present with usb/optical/coaxial input. Only the power cable and RCA is connected and the static is there. I have tried contacting schiit for a month now. They will not respond to me and it is making me extremely mad. I have spent nearly $1000 on this companies products and the customer service is actually dog crap. Excuse my language but this is not how you make customers happy. I am more than willing to pay the repair cost if warranty cannot be honored. All I want to do is listen to music, is that too much to ask?

EDIT: By some magic I have received an email replay after using CAPS and assertive text. Maybe I should have been a little more patient... yippee!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #12,680 of 13,350
Hey abirdie4me. I'm having static issues with my bifrost of over 4 years. Static is present with usb/optical/coaxial input. Only the power cable and RCA is connected and the static is there. I have tried contacting schiit for a month now. They will not respond to me and it is making me extremely mad. I have spent nearly $1000 on this companies products and the customer service is actually dog ****. Excuse my language but this is not how you make customers happy. I am more than willing to pay the repair cost if warranty cannot be honored. All I want to do is listen to music, is that too much to ask?

Instead of using the form on the website generate your own E-Mail to tech@Schiit.com with pertinent info on your units and the problem.

+1 for tech@schiit.com. I've always had quick responses.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #12,681 of 13,350
Hey abirdie4me. I'm having static issues with my bifrost of over 4 years. Static is present with usb/optical/coaxial input. Only the power cable and RCA is connected and the static is there. I have tried contacting schiit for a month now. They will not respond to me and it is making me extremely mad. I have spent nearly $1000 on this companies products and the customer service is actually dog ****. Excuse my language but this is not how you make customers happy. I am more than willing to pay the repair cost if warranty cannot be honored. All I want to do is listen to music, is that too much to ask?

EDIT: By some magic I have received an email replay after using CAPS and assertive text. Maybe I should have been a little more patient... yippee!

If the issue is the Bifrost and you are the original owner the warranty is five years, so you should be covered.

I have personally found their customer service to be prompt and quite helpful...

:)

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #12,682 of 13,350
I'm a new happy owner of a Schiit Gungnir! I have a question for you Schiit heads. I bought this unit used from a third-party seller. Will Schiit let me do the MB upgrade?

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #12,683 of 13,350
I'm a new happy owner of a Schiit Gungnir! I have a question for you Schiit heads. I bought this unit used from a third-party seller. Will Schiit let me do the MB upgrade?

I don't see why not ... IMO the only thing that is affected by buying from a 3rd party is the warranty and the upgrade would be outside of that concern.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #12,684 of 13,350
I don't see why not ... IMO the only thing that is affected by buying from a 3rd party is the warranty and the upgrade would be outside of that concern.

Doesn't the upgrade reset the warranty in some way? Would that affect a 3rd party buyer?

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #12,686 of 13,350
Doesn't the upgrade reset the warranty in some way? Would that affect a 3rd party buyer?

@jurumal is correct ... this from the Schiit site ...
2-Year Warranty, Made in USA
Gungnir Multibit upgrades are covered by a 2-year warranty, or by the balance of the remaining factory warranty, whichever is greater. For out-of-warranty Gungnirs, this re-activates the warranty on the complete product for 2 years. One caveat: Schiit may refuse to do upgrades on heavily modified products. Schiit-installed upgrades are not eligible for return. Like all Schiit products, the Gungnir Multibit upgrade is made in the USA.

So, in your case, if you buy from a 3rd party, you would lose the original warranty, if there is any left, but gain 2 years if you upgrade.... ON THE COMPLETE PRODUCT.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #12,687 of 13,350
@jurumal is correct ... this from the Schiit site ...
2-Year Warranty, Made in USA
Gungnir Multibit upgrades are covered by a 2-year warranty, or by the balance of the remaining factory warranty, whichever is greater. For out-of-warranty Gungnirs, this re-activates the warranty on the complete product for 2 years. One caveat: Schiit may refuse to do upgrades on heavily modified products. Schiit-installed upgrades are not eligible for return. Like all Schiit products, the Gungnir Multibit upgrade is made in the USA.

So, in your case, if you buy from a 3rd party, you would lose the original warranty, if there is any left, but gain 2 years if you upgrade.... ON THE COMPLETE PRODUCT.
Sexy.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #12,688 of 13,350
I am currently using the Mjolnir 2. When I plug in my IEM SE846 on the single ended output (LOW gain). I can hear a buzz noise in the background (Low gain), but when I switch to High Gain, there is no more buzz noise noticeable. You would normally expect it to be quieter in the background with low gain, but it is the opposite in my case. I wonder why? Electrical power issue? or Variation unit by unit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back