Schiit Owners Unite
May 8, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #12,646 of 13,350
anyway, when i was setting vahalla 2 amp, i feel like the taller tubes are kinda loose, comparing to other tubes (or tube sockets) of vali 2 and vahalla 2's short tubes.

I have a newly purchased Valhalla 2 that behaves the same way. The power tubes don't move on their own, but they don't sit completely flat so they will move side to side easily. I didn't see any visual issues with the sockets and it's not having any impact on performance, so I assumed it was just an issue with the bottom of the tube not being completely flat or the pins being a bit narrower than the driver tubes. I'll try the driver tubes in those sockets and see if it makes a difference. The driver tubes will not move at all side to side.

So the short answer is this seems normal based on my unit.

May 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #12,648 of 13,350
I think Schiit should offer stickers of their products using their graphic style. So, a sticker for Bifrost representing the bridge, Yggy with a tree, etc.

Since they don't seem willing to satisfy our cravings for t-shirts maybe stickers would work?

May 12, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #12,650 of 13,350
May 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #12,652 of 13,350
I have recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and am loving them. Right now I'm just using them with my Fulla 2 (what a difference between my PC and the Fulla, much more clear through Fulla). I am looking to get a dedicated amp though and am looking into the Valhalla 2.

All I've been able to find is that the Valhalla is 'neutral'. Can someone who owns a Valhalla 2 explain a little more, is it neutral in general or just not as tubey sounding as other tube amps? I've never had a tube amp so I actually don't want something very tubey, just looking to add a little warmth and smooth out the treble.

May 22, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #12,653 of 13,350
I have had Schiit for some time now and love it. Today I bit the bullet and finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my Magni 2 Uber. I hadn't been able to get a filtered power supply for it and I didn't want to spend that sort of money on it either.
So in the next few weeks I will have a nice new piece of Schiit, a Ragnarok to listen to, which has cost me a new pair of Audio Physic "Compact" Glass Speakers as well to complement it. Cannot wait to hear what my T1's and B&W's are going to sound like through this baby when it beds in.

May 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #12,654 of 13,350
To those using speakers: You owe it to yourself to try the Schiit SYS passive preamp.

For me, it's one big "oh my GOD" moment. A few times the improvements actually frightened me because they were so viciously expressive. I had no idea it was possible to make the system you already have sound so much better just by bypassing the amp in DAC/amp/preamps to use them in DAC only mode.

Can't wait to try it with the Modi Multibit once it arrives next week.
normal_smile .gif

My only complaint is that the tight volume knob requires more physical force and is nowhere near as smooth and fun to rotate as the ones on the Fulla 2 and iFi micro iDSD...but hey, it's just fifty bucks.

Edit: Just now I jumped up because I thought someone broke into the house...but it was just the music.
ph34r.gif

I Just ordered the Magni Uber Modi 2 stack, because i Will use speakers. I think they will be able to run my monitors. But i have two questions:

What would a SYS do, if my monitors are already working?

What if thr Magni is unable to run my speakers? What would i do? Get new speakers? Another Amp? Eh?

May 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #12,655 of 13,350
I Just ordered the Magni Uber Modi 2 stack, because i Will use speakers. I think they will be able to run my monitors. But i have two questions:

What would a SYS do, if my monitors are already working?

What if thr Magni is unable to run my speakers? What would i do? Get new speakers? Another Amp? Eh?

The SYS is a passive preamp. You can use it to control the volume of active speakers, among other things. The Magni 2 Uber can also be used as a preamp for active speakers, so if you already bought that, you don't need the SYS. On the other hand, if you only use speakers and not headphones, you'd be better off with the SYS. But neither of them actually drive speakers. If you are using passive speakers, you need a speaker amp.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #12,656 of 13,350

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

or just accept a flickering LED? Noticed the USB LED on my Bifrost is flickering or going out for a few seconds, then coming back on, all very intermittent. Since it's been upgraded to multibit I leave it on 24/7, save for the odd power outage. And since it's always on USB, I reckon I've abused the poor li'l light.

Anyone else ever experienced this? Playback is unaffected, so it's just a minor annoyance, and certainly not worth shipping back for a third time. If it finally dies, I could put a glow-in-the-dark sticker there. It gets plenty of early light to charge up for night time viewing :wink:

On to happier Schiit... really been enjoying Schiit Happened. Jason's writing style and the tale he tells make for a good read.

My Morse code foo may be lacking, but I'm sure I caught my MultiFrost flashing this message:

The Bifrost is not the DAC you're looking for.
Time to upgrade to a Yggy :imp:

Impish schiity Jedi mind trix!

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #12,657 of 13,350
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

or just accept a flickering LED? Noticed the USB LED on my Bifrost is flickering or going out for a few seconds, then coming back on, all very intermittent. Since it's been upgraded to multibit I leave it on 24/7, save for the odd power outage. And since it's always on USB, I reckon I've abused the poor li'l light.

Anyone else ever experienced this? Playback is unaffected, so it's just a minor annoyance, and certainly not worth shipping back for a third time. If it finally dies, I could put a glow-in-the-dark sticker there. It gets plenty of early light to charge up for night time viewing :wink:

On to happier Schiit... really been enjoying Schiit Happened. Jason's writing style and the tale he tells make for a good read.

My Morse code foo may be lacking, but I'm sure I caught my MultiFrost flashing this message:

The Bifrost is not the DAC you're looking for.
Time to upgrade to a Yggy :imp:

Impish schiity Jedi mind trix!
Sounds like some monkey business.

May 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #12,658 of 13,350
Okay, it seems that in my enthusiasm i bought the mm stack because it would drive speakers, before realizing they only drive active speakers.

What would be the best option? Get a good pair of active speakers? Just go for those kef egg shaped bluetooth desktop speakers that i could plug in as well? Return the magni for a better amp that Will drive passive speakers?

crap.

May 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #12,659 of 13,350
So; here are my impressions of the Schiit Magni Uber 2/Modi 2 and Sennheiser hd598 and hd650.

Not really worth it. I mean; it sounds pretty good. But I hardly notice any difference straight from my imac. The hd650 is drivable, but it can't quite punch through the so called 'veil' everyone is talking about. It can't bring up the bass enough. The 598's have a 'background bass' which I would like to be a bit more punchy; but that's both the headphone's and the schiit's fault.

Can i return them with the reason "I can't tell the difference"? Do I wait for another headphone?

Lesson learned: get an amp with 'bass boost' options, because equalizer software is crap on mac.

May 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #12,660 of 13,350
So; here are my impressions of the Schiit Magni Uber 2/Modi 2 and Sennheiser hd598 and hd650.

Not really worth it. I mean; it sounds pretty good. But I hardly notice any difference straight from my imac. The hd650 is drivable, but it can't quite punch through the so called 'veil' everyone is talking about. It can't bring up the bass enough. The 598's have a 'background bass' which I would like to be a bit more punchy; but that's both the headphone's and the schiit's fault.

Can i return them with the reason "I can't tell the difference"? Do I wait for another headphone?

Lesson learned: get an amp with 'bass boost' options, because equalizer software is **** on mac.

If you like 'lots' of bass then I suspect the HD-650 may be the problem for you. Depends on your music as well, I guess. My setup (see sig) gets rid of most of the 'veil' on my Senns, bass is better defined... could do with a bit more articulation in the sub-bass but I put that down to the phones. I read that the Focal Elear are like the HD-650, if you like that sound type...but better bass... not cheap tho'. Alternatively. HiFiMan HE560 perhaps ? YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back