Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 25, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #12,091 of 13,350
  Has anyone done a Gumby upgrade recently? I'm, like, 8th or something in the queue and am wondering how long I may have to wait.

I recently did this, I was 2nd in the cue and it took only a few days to get my email that I could send my Gungnir in for the upgrade. Once Schiit had it, it took about 5 more days to get the email that acknowledging that they had it and would be starting the upgrade process. One week later, I got the email that my Gumby was being shipped back to me. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #12,092 of 13,350

I've recently did this, I was 2nd in the cue and it took only a few days to get my email that I could send my Gungnir in for the upgrade. Once Schiit had it, it took about 5 more days to get the email that acknowledging that that had it and would be starting the upgrade process. One week later, I got the email that my Gumby was being shipped back to me. 

Oh wow. Longer than I expected, then. Thanks for the heads up. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #12,094 of 13,350
  Can anyone suggest a good amp that would pair well with both the HD600s and HD800s? Preferably under $500. I know the Bottlehead Crack is a very popular one but preferably no DIY amps. Thanks!

Schiit Jotunheim can be a solid choice that suits your price range. Compacted dac amp combo at the same time allows you to use Balanced on your HD800S and single ended on your HD600

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #12,097 of 13,350
My Gumby arrived. First impression my favourite song is still my favourite song. But every detail just have more texture. For a few recordings I can find some thing that I was totally unable to hear before with my old setup. I listened to the Gumby for a day, to quantify the improvement over my old dac (Dr Dac2 DX), it was a solid 25-30% upgrade. Is the upgrade worth it for the price difference of $1200 Gumby vs $200 (previous) Dac? If you are an intensive listener, most of you hobby time would be listening to music then you are cool. If you are just one of those casual listener who plays the music in the background while you are gaming etc then I would recommend less expensive alternative the bifrost and modi 2. Both of them delivers superb performance at a sweet price range. 

After the upgrade, I never looked back to the old dac. Overall I am extremely happy with the upgrade. :)

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #12,098 of 13,350
  do you think it can real power the he-6?

It can and does not sound bad at all.  That said I gererally use a 45watt speaker and to drive them and I do like the sound signature from my speaker amp better than the Jotinheim with the HE-6.

I have about a dozen sets of headphones, none of them sound bad on the Jotunheim.  Some just sound better than others...

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #12,100 of 13,350
I own the Jotunheim.  So far it's brought out the best in every headphone I've used on it. I'll report again after I get my HE 1000s back. It brings out all the detail that I think I'm capable of hearing. It has this smooth quality that all DAC/Amps should have. It's amazing that it's only 500 bucks! I thought I was going to have to pay a couple of grand to get really good sound. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #12,101 of 13,350
  I own the Jotunheim.  So far it's brought out the best in every headphone I've used on it. I'll report again after I get my HE 1000s back. It brings out all the detail that I think I'm capable of hearing. It has this smooth quality that all DAC/Amps should have. It's amazing that it's only 500 bucks! I thought I was going to have to pay a couple of grand to get really good sound. 

Wow that's good to hear! I'll consider it, maybe a Christmas present to myself to justify the price haha.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #12,102 of 13,350
  Wow that's good to hear! I'll consider it, maybe a Christmas present to myself to justify the price haha.

Besides from the good dac/amp, Jotunheim is also very versatile. Since HD600 and HD800 is so popular, you can easily find some good balanced cable to pair it up with the Jotunheim. Balance may take you to the next level in this hobby. 
wink_face.gif
 Its just a future proof solution for any reason that you might or may upgrade to a balanced headphone. Especially for the the HD800 since it is so sensitive to change.

Another alternative for tubes and single end will be bifrost + Lyr 2 stack. 
Both choices provide good solid power at 300ohms to power you headphones

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #12,103 of 13,350
  Besides from the good dac/amp, Jotunheim is also very versatile. Since HD600 and HD800 is so popular, you can easily find some good balanced cable to pair it up with the Jotunheim. Balance may take you to the next level in this hobby. 
wink_face.gif
 Its just a future proof solution for any reason that you might or may upgrade to a balanced headphone. Especially for the the HD800 since it is so sensitive to change.

Another alternative for tubes and single end will be bifrost + Lyr 2 stack. 
Both choices provide good solid power at 300ohms to power you headphones

The Bifrost+Lyr stack is a bit too costly for me rn, but I'm definitely considering the Jotunheim and a balanced cable for the HD800, does their sound really change that much when you switch to a balanced cable?

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #12,104 of 13,350
JoshuaJo,
      This This video is what clinched it for me. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVmylqNQGQ

By the way, I'm a newbie here, so please, someone tell me if it's okay to put up links like that. Schit is really coming up in the world. Their reputation is growing.  In the video he says the Jotunheim may be the most versatile DAC/Amp combo that's out there. He backs it up by talking about testing the Jot by listening to an array of IEMs with his extremely sensitive pair in the mix. All sounded great. Same results with the following headphones: Hifiman HE-6, Focal Elear and Utopia, Mr. Speakers Ether Flow and Ether C Flow, BeyerDynamic T-1, and 1990 Pro, Sennheiser HD 800 and the 800s. I probably had you at HE-6. This is probably gonna sound overly dramatic but, there is a smoothness to it. It's not a noise...It's like somebody just kind of lightly polished the edges of the sound signature, without taking the raw out of a raw recording that was intending to be raw. I mean the music sounds like it should, just smoother. And I don't me warmer, I mean smoother. The amp by itself is, for my ears, perfect. I can get a spectacular sound just by hooking my iPhone up to my portable Oppo DAC/Amp and into the Jot. Plus, it's got a balanced four pin input along with the quarter inch. Like I said, versatile. 
My argument for the 500 dollar (Amp: 400, DAC 100) price tag, is that it's actual value is  in what it can do for your sound. I'm feel pretty secure saying that if its price were 1000 dollars, few people would be disappointed in the sound. Merry Christmas. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #12,105 of 13,350
  JoshuaJo,
      This This video is what clinched it for me. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVmylqNQGQ

By the way, I'm a newbie here, so please, someone tell me if it's okay to put up links like that. Schit is really coming up in the world. Their reputation is growing.  In the video he says the Jotunheim may be the most versatile DAC/Amp combo that's out there. He backs it up by talking about testing the Jot by listening to an array of IEMs with his extremely sensitive pair in the mix. All sounded great. Same results with the following headphones: Hifiman HE-6, Focal Elear and Utopia, Mr. Speakers Ether Flow and Ether C Flow, BeyerDynamic T-1, and 1990 Pro, Sennheiser HD 800 and the 800s. I probably had you at HE-6. This is probably gonna sound overly dramatic but, there is a smoothness to it. It's not a noise...It's like somebody just kind of lightly polished the edges of the sound signature, without taking the raw out of a raw recording that was intending to be raw. I mean the music sounds like it should, just smoother. And I don't me warmer, I mean smoother. The amp by itself is, for my ears, perfect. I can get a spectacular sound just by hooking my iPhone up to my portable Oppo DAC/Amp and into the Jot. Plus, it's got a balanced four pin input along with the quarter inch. Like I said, versatile. 
My argument for the 500 dollar (Amp: 400, DAC 100) price tag, is that it's actual value is  in what it can do for your sound. I'm feel pretty secure saying that if its price were 1000 dollars, few people would be disappointed in the sound. Merry Christmas. 

Just watched that video and reading your comment I feel pretty sold. Guess that's what I'm making my Christmas gift this year haha. I have heard people say that this dac/amp performs better than ones priced at 1000 or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back