Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #11,716 of 13,350
  Thx, we'll I'm workin' on it. My end game is Star Citizen. And in a year I'd like to have triple screens of space sim bliss along with the buttkicker feedback (and the glorious sound I have yet to experience). These monitors are amazing pieces for $700 shipped, so it's not a lot to do, but I'll need the computer to drive it. It's going to take a couple of years to drive them well, and maybe even 5 or more to drive 4k like we all want. How do you like the Ultrawide? I was looking at them. But I guess I ended up going this route, because the horizontal size was the same, and the 16:9 pretty much just adds vertical. But it's hard to drive with full details with my rig. I don't do it on new games.

That's the way I'm looking at it. I am trying to see this as almost a one and done buy. But we'll see. I will tell the wife you're on my side!  :wink:

I'm running SLI GTX 780 6GB. Hmm, I hadn't compared them that closely, but you're correct that the horizontal resolution isn't far off.

3440X1440
vs
3840X2160

I call my monitor a 3K display :) I guess technically it's not, but it makes the comparisons simpler.

Problem is, SLI doesn't work in every game :/ MOST games, but there may still be an anomaly here and there. My cards are pushing my monitor well enough that I can comfortably skip Pascal and wait for the 2nd generation from now to do a serious upgrade :) So while I spent quite a bit on my cards, I'll have likely gotten a good 4 years out of them when I upgrade.

As far as the audio side of the equation, I don't have near enough experience yet. Others here would be MUCH better to answer that! But that's a combo I would logically be looking at myself, at that level :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #11,718 of 13,350
Hopefully they build my Ragnatok first. Jk. I think they said the week of April 23 for the Rag. I wonder is they are waiting for chassis. That would make sense.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #11,719 of 13,350
Hopefully they build my Ragnatok first. Jk. I think they said the week of April 23 for the Rag. I wonder is they are waiting for chassis. That would make sense.

Thanks for the info, but I'm sorry to inform you the Yggdrasil just shipped yesterday. :) Placed order on 03-15-16 and it shipped 28 days later. Not to shabby.

Good luck with your Ragnarok purchase. I think you're going to love it. :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #11,720 of 13,350
Thanks for the info, but I'm sorry to inform you the Yggdrasil just shipped yesterday. :) Placed order on 03-15-16 and it shipped 28 days later. Not to shabby.

Good luck with your Ragnarok purchase. I think you're going to love it. :)

Well bad for me but great for you. Post your impressions. What are you connecting to the Yggy? I will be driving the Ragnarok with either my Grace or Oppo BD105. But I could be swayed. :sunglasses:

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #11,721 of 13,350
Hey fellow Schiit owners, I'm looking forward to join you guys. But before I jump the gun, I would like to clarify a few questions with you guys. Hope I can get some thoughtful advise from here.

Speaker and Headphone: Adam A7X and HD650
Planned Schiit gear: Gungnir multibit (XLR directly to the speaker through Emotiva Control Freak for passive volume control) + Valhalla 2 (for headphone amp)

I wonder is the Gungnir multibit also good as a DAC for monitors? Or are they specify for headphones? In addition, I would love to go further for the Mjolnir 2, but it will cost me $500 extra and it seems to be just a headphone amp (might not be future proof if I change to a passive speaker later on). Could you guys please give me some advise?

On the other hand, have anyone of you tested your Schiit gear against Audiolab M-DAC or M-DAC+, Luxman DA-250? Please share your thoughts. =)

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #11,722 of 13,350
  Hey fellow Schiit owners, I'm looking forward to join you guys. But before I jump the gun, I would like to clarify a few questions with you guys. Hope I can get some thoughtful advise from here.

Speaker and Headphone: Adam A7X and HD650
Planned Schiit gear: Gungnir multibit (XLR directly to the speaker through Emotiva Control Freak for passive volume control) + Valhalla 2 (for headphone amp)

I wonder is the Gungnir multibit also good as a DAC for monitors? Or are they specify for headphones? In addition, I would love to go further for the Mjolnir 2, but it will cost me $500 extra and it seems to be just a headphone amp (might not be future proof if I change to a passive speaker later on). Could you guys please give me some advise?

On the other hand, have anyone of you tested your Schiit gear against Audiolab M-DAC or M-DAC+, Luxman DA-250? Please share your thoughts. =)

The Mjolnir 2 is a headphone amp and single-source (non-switching) pre-amp.  If you changed to a passive speaker in the future you'd need to add a power-amplifier.

If you want an amplifier that can do headphones, pre-amp and power-amp duty (i.e. is an intergrated amp), then the only offering on the table from Schiit at the moment is the Ragnarok.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #11,723 of 13,350

The Mjolnir 2 is a headphone amp and single-source (non-switching) pre-amp.  If you changed to a passive speaker in the future you'd need to add a power-amplifier.

If you want an amplifier that can do headphones, pre-amp and power-amp duty (i.e. is an intergrated amp), then the only offering on the table from Schiit at the moment is the Ragnarok.

If that's the case, I guess I will be better off to go with Valhalla 2/Asgard 2 just for my HD650 at the moment..

For the DAC, I guess there are no difference between headphone and speakers, right?

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #11,727 of 13,350
I've been a happy owner of the asgard 2 but I have been thinking about giving tubes a try with my bifrost multibit.

Which would be better with the HD650 (and maybe HD800S in the future) the Valhalla 2 or the Lyr 2?

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #11,728 of 13,350
  I've been a happy owner of the asgard 2 but I have been thinking about giving tubes a try with my bifrost multibit.

Which would be better with the HD650 (and maybe HD800S in the future) the Valhalla 2 or the Lyr 2?

Haven't heard the Lyr 2, but the Valhalla 2 is great with my HD600.

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #11,729 of 13,350
I've got a Valhalla 2, Asgard 2 and the Sennheiser HD650's. To me the 650's sound a lot better on the Valhalla 2 than the Asgard 2.

My $0.02

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #11,730 of 13,350

I've got the HD600 and a Valhalla 1, and it is excellent. Haven't tried the 600 with a Lyr, obviously, but I would guess that the Valhalla is a better pairing with both the HD650 and HD800S.

Keep in mind, however, that Lyr would be better if you decide to dabble in power hungry models like planars (high end HiFiMan stuff, for example). AND Lyr still manages to push a lot of power into high impedance as well. If you never dabble in these types of drivers, then no need to worry about it, but it's worth noting to Lyr's advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back