Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #9,211 of 13,350

DAC trolls should have their avatar labelled as such, here on head-fi.

Some people actually can't hear the difference between amps and dacs.  Some people can.  No one should fault the people who can't, and we shouldn't ridicule or minimize those who can.  The worst group are those who believe there's no differences to justify the gear they have.  Should someone love what they have?  Yes.  The fault lies in having such a closed mind about things and then preaching it as truth to everyone else.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #9,213 of 13,350

Thanks. I also have a similar setup - Macbook Air/Lyr 2/Modi/Sennheiser 650. I'm going to purchase a Bifrost Uber soon and wondering if I can get by without the USB option.

Not AFAIK. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #9,214 of 13,350
 Mjolnir has shipped! I may have it for a few days without the balanced HP cables. I ordered those from HeadDirect with 2 day shipping-but have yet to see a shipping notice.
Should I power it on anyway? I can feed signal in from my Oppo BDP-105D. I wonder if it can "break in" (assuming its real) without the HP connected?
If I am LUCKY-I will have both on Saturday! I am excited about the impending Schiit-Storm! :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #9,215 of 13,350
 Mjolnir has shipped! I may have it for a few days without the balanced HP cables. I ordered those from HeadDirect with 2 day shipping-but have yet to see a shipping notice.
Should I power it on anyway? I can feed signal in from my Oppo BDP-105D. I wonder if it can "break in" (assuming its real) without the HP connected?
If I am LUCKY-I will have both on Saturday! I am excited about the impending Schiit-Storm! :)

Sweet welcome to Club Schiit, hope your mighty Mjolnir puts a smile on your face.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #9,216 of 13,350
Hey guys, completely new here (but have been reading for a little, you guys passively helped me decide on my HFI-780s that I love so dearly) so sorry if this question has been addressed and a quick poke in the right direction will be fine.

Anyway, As of yesterday I purchased a Vali (like a Magni 2 but with a tube I believe, theoretically should warm up my 780s fairly notorious top end) and a Modi 2. Now issue is, to my semi untrained ears they both sound very average considering I dropped $400AUD for the pair.
I've found the Modi 2, when connected as Computer > USB > Modi > (cheap) RCA > Headphones it sounds quite bright I suppose. It also doesn't seem to have the same intensity as just running audio through my Asus Zonar D1. The Zonar seems to provide just a better sound overall with more what I'm going to call 'resolution' on all levels while also providing a more pleasant bottom end. Basically the Modi seems to have taken the entire spectrum of a song and lifted it up so it's much more shrill and empty. Sibilance seems to have gotten worse as well.

Do I have it set up right? Someone was saying an amp should be used but the Modi 2 pumps out a huge amount of volume to the point where having my computer set to 20% is only just listenable. My headphones are only 32ohm.

Again, it could just be my untrained ear but I reallllly don't think that could be the case or my venture into high quality audio is going to be fairly short lived.

The Vali issue is a different thing and is associated with my turntable I feel. (LP120-USB) The phono still runs through capacitors that put a negative spin on everything. I might take that up in a different thread.

Thanks for any help guys!

*EDIT* So you know, I actually made the 'stack' going Modi 2 > Vali and the problem is resolved life is good! Any tips for taking full advantage of this setup?

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #9,218 of 13,350

yah, the top of the line Schiit DAC sounds exactly the same, and as good as all their other DACs.
that's why they make the expensive Yggy-  to rip us off and waste their time.  
please.
mad.gif

They are running a business and have to satisfy different customer pricing tiers. Even their top tier is far less expensive than the competition. As long as some people want to buy such stuff and 24 bit hirez files, someone is going to get into the action and sell it.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #9,219 of 13,350
What is your guys' opinion on the difference in sound with the Bifrost vs the Bifrost Uber? 

I found a well detailed article about this question here:
http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/schiit-bifrost-bifrost-uber-dac

"If you are limited on funds and/or enjoy a richer sound that is delivered with a mild and forgiving haze in which the delicacies of detail and intimacy take a back seat, then the standard Bifrost will more than likely delight. If on the other hand you crave a more open and revealing presentation delivered with refined finesse and a closer emotional connection to your music, then go for the Uber and don’t look back."

Sometimes I feel silly for continuing on this path, trying to get the HD700 to sound good with minimal EQ. Though after hearing it on a crazy expensive DAC, I know what it is capable of, and it is incredible. Looking to tame sibilance, while keeping most of the detail. Obviously I won't be able to get all of it away (I just listen to sibilant music, bleh), but after reading that review it sounds like the Bifrost without Uber sounds better for me, but then again without hearing it, perhaps it's better yet smoother, I don't know. So I'm asking you guys!

Appreciate the help!

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #9,220 of 13,350
  What is your guys' opinion on the difference in sound with the Bifrost vs the Bifrost Uber? 

"If you are limited on funds and/or enjoy a richer sound that is delivered with a mild and forgiving haze in which the delicacies of detail and intimacy take a back seat, then the standard Bifrost will more than likely delight. If on the other hand you crave a more open and revealing presentation delivered with refined finesse and a closer emotional connection to your music, then go for the Uber and don’t look back."

Sometimes I feel silly for continuing on this path, trying to get the HD700 to sound good with minimal EQ. Though after hearing it on a crazy expensive DAC, I know what it is capable of, and it is incredible. Looking to tame sibilance, while keeping most of the detail. Obviously I won't be able to get all of it away (I just listen to sibilant music, bleh), but after reading that review it sounds like the Bifrost without Uber sounds better for me, but then again without hearing it, perhaps it's better yet smoother, I don't know. So I'm asking you guys!

Appreciate the help!

I have the Bitfrost Uber and it sounds fantastic. It's up to you, but I would go with the Uber for a number of reasons. As for phones, you might be better off with other cans that perform the way you want, rather than trying to conform your system to the HD700. Just some thoughts.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9,221 of 13,350

Appreciate the help!

You will not tame sibilance with a DAC or amp. It has to do with a peak in the FR or accentuated treble of your headphones. Look to EQ to help with this, the rest is fiction.
If I remember the HD700 has a big peak around 6-7 kHz which is prime territory for sibalence.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #9,222 of 13,350

Appreciate the help!

Your best option is to dump the HD700s, IMHO.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #9,223 of 13,350
Got a Magni 2 Wednesday, using it along with some HD598s, a Pioneer PL-A45D & BBE FJB-200X phono preamp. Really enjoying the whole rig. My ears deserved a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back