Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 18, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #8,866 of 13,350

I'm always very gentle with it. The volume knob is pretty rickety. You can easily move it up and down, albeit slightly, and this happens naturally even when you are just trying to carefully twist it. And look at all that space where you can see inside the amp from the front. I don't mind such things at this price point, anyway.

whew! im glad that mine doesn't act like yours does..
the volume knob is not rickety. It's not easily slightly moved up and down either. I just checked. i'm pretty bad with my stuff if i'm not making a point of babying them. my fiio x1 has drop to the floor once and to asphalt once. But otoh, my dt880 is as good as new, as new as hours of worn pad can be called new. There's not a lot of things i baby. if any.  so i wouldn't be surprised if my magni 2 uber broke by the the time magni 5 is out.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #8,867 of 13,350
Thanks for the reply, I haven't had time in the last couple of days to log on.  I had been planning on getting a set of really nice open backed cans for home use.  Not sure which ones yet.  Probably some HD598's or something like them.  I appreciate everyone answering my questions with a wealth of knowledge(for me anyway).  Thanks everyone.

T

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #8,868 of 13,350
  whew! im glad that mine doesn't act like yours does..
the volume knob is not rickety. It's not easily slightly moved up and down either. I just checked.

Grasp it and move your hand up and down. It doesn't move at all? (I mean, the entire amp can move from that, but you know what I mean.) You don't hear/feel a tiny click?

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #8,869 of 13,350

Grasp it and move your hand up and down. It doesn't move at all? (I mean, the entire amp can move from that, but you know what I mean.) You don't hear/feel a tiny click?

what do you mean by moving hand up and down?
Let's say i move the volume pot normally. My volume pot is fine. it doesn't move at all. it's pretty stationery i'd say.

i don't test for clicks, and i'm not going to, sorry mate. If the click hear / feel is actually induce-able, and if that's not be reversible, i'd be SOL.

I don't move my volume pot at all the past month or so, i just moved them twice. No complain or movement or anything here.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #8,870 of 13,350
  what do you mean by moving hand up and down?
Let's say i move the volume pot normally. My volume pot is fine. it doesn't move at all. it's pretty stationery i'd say.

i don't test for clicks, and i'm not going to, sorry mate. If the click hear / feel is actually induce-able, and if that's not be reversible, i'd be SOL.

I don't move my volume pot at all the past month or so, i just moved them twice. No complain or movement or anything here.

I move the volume knob constantly on a daily basis. Maybe that's why.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,871 of 13,350
Most volume knobs (in the entire world) are held on by a set screw, that presses against the flat side of the shaft of the potentiometer (volume control).  Use a very small screwdriver (or Allen wrench if it applies here) to tighten the screw.  10 seconds you're done.  And now experienced to fix the loose volume knob on all other devices in your future.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,872 of 13,350

I move the volume knob constantly on a daily basis. Maybe that's why.

Still. how long have you had yours? less than 2 month. i don't know whether it's a lemon or not, but mine is fine.
I go as far as saying the volume knob is "sturdy". As in... a $99 product level of "sturdy"...

i remember when i first got them people are talking about the volume pot wobble or something. i think i remember mine wobbles a little too...maybe? i already forgot whether mine wobbles or not when i got them some 2 months ago.
Um... i keep the magni 2 uber all night. i seldom turn it off. Far from 24/7 but definitely more than 6 hours a day, in average.

mine is pretty solid.

Heat from keeping it on for long hours has anything to do with that? probably not?

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #8,873 of 13,350
  Most volume knobs (in the entire world) are held on by a set screw, that presses against the flat side of the shaft of the potentiometer (volume control).  Use a very small screwdriver (or Allen wrench if it applies here) to tighten the screw.  10 seconds you're done.  And now experienced to fix the loose volume knob on all other devices in your future.

So I should just stick something small enough inside that circular opening on the volume knob and twist it clockwise? The smallest thing I have on hand is something I use to tighten my glasses, but that's still too big to fit.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #8,875 of 13,350

So I should just stick something small enough inside that circular opening on the volume knob and twist it clockwise? The smallest thing I have on hand is something I use to tighten my glasses, but that's still too big to fit.

Correct.  Usually an eyeglass screwdriver is small enough.  Try making a tiny "L" shape on the end of a stiff wire.  Or whack the end of a paper clip with a hammer to flatten the tip.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #8,876 of 13,350
  First pull up..................
Then pull down...............

If it is disappointing, then -

you may need a new knob.

If so, we can send you one for free with instructions on how to do the job.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm assuming the problem is merely the connection between the external and internal knobs, so to speak. In other words, I would have to do the same tightening I am attempting now.

Correct.  Usually an eyeglass screwdriver is small enough.  Try making a tiny "L" shape on the end of a stiff wire.  Or whack the end of a paper clip with a hammer to flatten the tip.

I don't think anything I have is small enough to fit!

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #8,879 of 13,350
So, I take it that they changed the knob style when they went to the magni 2? My magni 1 knob has no screw. It is just a press fit on the volume shaft.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #8,880 of 13,350
So, I take it that they changed the knob style when they went to the magni 2? My magni 1 knob has no screw. It is just a press fit on the volume shaft.

You're right.  I was looking at my Valhalla 2 which has a set screw type.  I am now looking at the Vali, which I''m sure uses the same knob as Magni's.  It's press fit.  So just pull on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back