Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #8,446 of 13,350
Actually we're not. I can spend a few hundred bucks and get all the DAC and amp I'd ever need for digital and not worry about any equipment maintenance, then spend the money where it counts on transducers. I mean, cmon, you're on a thread dedicated to a company that puts out exactly the kind of high quality, low-priced gear that destroys this "expensive digital" myth.

Though they make a step up device and are about to launch an expensive (for them) DAC that is a step toward too more analogue like sound :D. I am very happy with my Schiit Stack and digital audio, it is far more user friendly. I also very much enjoy vinyl in my main setup. I love music, no matter the source, I enjoy each digital/analogue in their turn. I know you have fantastic taste in classical music, enjoy your collection in the format of preference.

Cheers!:beers:

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #8,447 of 13,350
Though they make a step up device and are about to launch an expensive (for them) DAC that is a step toward too more analogue like sound
biggrin.gif
. I am very happy with my Schiit Stack and digital audio, it is far more user friendly. I also very much enjoy vinyl in my main setup. I love music, no matter the source, I enjoy each digital/analogue in their turn. I know you have fantastic taste in classical music, enjoy your collection in the format of preference.

Cheers!:beers:

Companies gotta make money somehow
wink.gif
Plus engineers do care about specs and, I hope, take pride in making the bestest spectest gear around, even if the differences are inaudible. And indeed, to each his own.
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #8,448 of 13,350
OK everybody – I am in the middle of a lot right now but am driven to comment on “warm” “cold” or whatever adjective anyone chooses to subjectively describe what they hear. Everyone is entitled to their subjective universe. They can be expected to describe their experiences in a way that is real to them. What is right for them may well be BS to another. Also, we are all entitled to our own constructs to argue our own subjective cases, for example electrons taking more time to transverse a coil than a straight piece of wire. This is not wrong to the author; an objective environment, however is far different.

Much of this subjectivity overlaid on a discussion/debate of analog (turntables) vs. digital recording playback systems. This is complicated by case to case differences. Is the record (vinyl) a digital recording? Is the digital track or file been converted to digital from analog? Etc., etc., etc.............??? Too many permutations and combinations to arrive at any generalizations.

What are the main important differences? Analog is a continuous recording over time, and digital is a sampled, dot to dot recording, which requires reconstruction (no such reconstruction required in analog) upon playback, by information theory rules which primarily live in the frequency domain (emphasis mine). That is why I also utilize time domain (positional) reconstruction methods in the Yggy. To give digital its significant due, there is a huge (at least 20+db) advantage in signal to noise ratio in digital recording and playback devices.

Now that is not to say that the frequency domain (response) is not important. A friend of mine back in the 1970's, John Koval, used to argue that the only audible differences between any two pieces of audio gear was due to frequency response (domain). He is the exact reason that the Mani has an extremely accurate RIAA response in 2015. It was his position that all amplifiers essentially sounded alike because of their relatively flat frequency responses. John constructed an A/B sound comparison box that matched levels to blindly compare two amplifiers.

Now it was very difficult for me to tell the difference between two amplifiers when they were switched back and forth, particularly when they were precisely level matched (even tube vs. solid state). This was really messing with my manufacturing better sounding amps and preamps. In fact, if all of this Schiit really sounded the same, why was I in the audio biz?? Why was there a market for audio gear, audio shows, etc., etc?? Are audio industry skeptics like Douglas Self really right? Is a 5534 op-amp really unbeatable?

So I built one of those A/B boxes with a remote push-button to switch between two amps, preamps, whatever. No matter what I did, I couldn't tell any differences switching back and forth. Quickly I learned that I was not comfortably listening in an interval based switcher. If I listened to an entire LP side or analog series of tracks (an early playlist) on one amp and then the same stuff on the next amp............. I could easily and consistently tell the difference!! I demonstrated it to John and he was amazed. I won plenty of bets with other audiophiles. So it seems that audio listening is an integral, as opposed to differential process.

Now this is not to say that our industry has not been blighted by grifters. I will not be in line to buy dog spooge loaded equipment racks due to the amazing hearing ability of canines. But I will add parts per million as opposed to parts per thousand voltage coefficient resistors to my better products because I, for one believe they can sound better. One day, perhaps we will know the precise threshold of the human ear/brain's sensitivity, whether we call it “warm” “flat” or even “curly”.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,449 of 13,350
Just wanted to say that I finally got the cable that allows me to connect my Bifrost Uber to my powered speakers.

It sounds really good. And the Schiit stack works great with my headphones and speakers combined.

Now I'm really wanting the new Yaggdrasil (sp?) and Ragnarok. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #8,450 of 13,350
Hey guys, would like to check with you on the following.

The Bifrost user manual front page shows that the revision is "E".
However, at the back of the Bifrost, there isn't any indication showing it is "SCH04-E or SCH04E".
Mine was SCH04.

Is it because 230VAC version is non-E ?

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #8,451 of 13,350
I'm also waiting on Yggy! Love my Gungnir for sure, but signature Schiit gear is hard not to consider. I appreciate the attention to detail in the Schiit house sound and the experience with good analogue stages shows. After all, the final product we hear is analogue. Not to jab a finger into an open wound, but for the record I do not maintain a vinyl rig, and I haven't since the 90s. My brother still does and that is where from time to time I listen to vinyl. Personally, I feel that I prefer digital as the accuracy is instrumental; and with well mastered material and a well thought out system any of the pitfalls of digital (if you accept them to be true) are mitigated greatly or virtually eliminated.

The last time I hung out with my brother he put on the last Depeche Mode album through his vinyl rig and it was really, really nice. I'm personally glad that vinyl has not been extinguished just yet as that ties my present to my past and a trip down memory lane every once in a while is a great thing, if not a little sad. Getting older does suck on some levels, but I'm still young enough to have good hearing which is merciful. I dread losing that.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #8,452 of 13,350
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum and perhaps the newest member of the Vali admiration society. I ordered mine on Friday and received it on Saturday ( How is that for service?) I'm in the process of evaluating my new toy and I wonder if it will get even better with a few days use. 

I'm rather new to headphone amplifiers and my only means of comparison is a A / B test with a Bravo Audio Ocean that I have had for a few weeks. So far I hear little difference between the two. That is not a bad thing as I am very pleased with the little Class A Bravo Ocean. The cost of each amp is nearly the same and each have slightly different features. But a sonic comparison reveals very little difference. At least so far.

I'm listening with a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s and one of the things I have noticed is that the Vali has a lower output as compared to the Bravo Audio Ocean, when using the same line level input. My input is currently the variable output of my TV / monitor as driven from a Roku box. I'll be trying a fixed level line input this week and I'll also probably be updating to a Schiit DAC in the near future.

I'm currently doing a little experiment. I'm driving the Vali using the preamp outputs of the Bravo Audio Ocean. This allows me to achieve loudness levels that I will seldom exceed, and both units have their gain controls set to no more then the 12 o'clock position. 

On the horizon is a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s as well as a Schiit Valhalla 2, that will be arriving this week. I'm looking forward to lots of mix and match comparisons in the future.

Stay tuned.

Rick

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #8,453 of 13,350
  Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum and perhaps the newest member of the Vali admiration society. I ordered mine on Friday and received it on Saturday ( How is that for service?) I'm in the process of evaluating my new toy and I wonder if it will get even better with a few days use. 

I'm rather new to headphone amplifiers and my only means of comparison is a A / B test with a Bravo Audio Ocean that I have had for a few weeks. So far I hear little difference between the two. That is not a bad thing as I am very pleased with the little Class A Bravo Ocean. The cost of each amp is nearly the same and each have slightly different features. But a sonic comparison reveals very little difference. At least so far.

I'm listening with a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s and one of the things I have noticed is that the Vali has a lower output as compared to the Bravo Audio Ocean, when using the same line level input. My input is currently the variable output of my TV / monitor as driven from a Roku box. I'll be trying a fixed level line input this week and I'll also probably be updating to a Schiit DAC in the near future.

I'm currently doing a little experiment. I'm driving the Vali using the preamp outputs of the Bravo Audio Ocean. This allows me to achieve loudness levels that I will seldom exceed, and both units have their gain controls set to no more then the 12 o'clock position. 

On the horizon is a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s as well as a Schiit Valhalla 2, that will be arriving this week. I'm looking forward to lots of mix and match comparisons in the future.

Stay tuned.

Rick

Welcome to the club...

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #8,454 of 13,350

Stay tuned.

Rick

I doubt that the Vali requires any preamping, if the Bravo preamp is active you will only add more noise and distortion. I wouldn't judge by the position of the volume pot (potentiometer) as that can vary due to gain as well as the different pots having different tapers.
Don't be fooled by the description of the Bravo, it is a hybrid (SS output stage), not a pure Class A tube amp.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #8,455 of 13,350
  I doubt that the Vali requires any preamping, if the Bravo preamp is active you will only add more noise and distortion. I wouldn't judge by the position of the volume pot (potentiometer) as that can vary due to gain as well as the different pots having different tapers.
Don't be fooled by the description of the Bravo, it is a hybrid (SS output stage), not a pure Class A tube amp.

I think my only "problem " is having a variable line level and having concerns about over driving the input of the Vali. Obviously more experimentation is necessary. That is the fun of it. No?

I think I'll try the fixed line output of my CD player directly into the Vali. That should give me a better indication of the usable gain of the Vali.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,456 of 13,350

I think my only "problem " is having a variable line level and having concerns about over driving the input of the Vali. Obviously more experimentation is necessary. That is the fun of it. No?

Experimenting is not a bad thing as one can learn all sorts of things along the way. That's not a bad concern as overdriving can lead to a reduced dynamic range if any clipping/overloading occurs on peaks.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8,457 of 13,350
  Experimenting is not a bad thing as one can learn all sorts of things along the way. That's not a bad concern as overdriving can lead to a reduced dynamic range if any clipping/overloading occurs on peaks.

how many weeks has it been since my uber arrived? i think it's less than the 3 weeks i waited for the domestic airport handling.
anyway, at this juncture i completely regret buying the uber.
Considering the taxes and wait times, I should have just bought the valhalla 2 and call it a day.

anybody in asia that have valhalla 2 that they want to sell?

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #8,458 of 13,350

how many weeks has it been since my uber arrived? i think it's less than the 3 weeks i waited for the domestic airport handling.
anyway, at this juncture i completely regret buying the uber.
Considering the taxes and wait times, I should have just bought the valhalla 2 and call it a day.

anybody in asia that have valhalla 2 that you want to sell?

Is there something wrong with the Uber? Or is it just the process of getting it that's ticking you off? Keep in mind, if you need to drive low impedance cans that need a bit of power, the Valhalla 2 might not fit that bill. I was interested in that amp, however, since I have an HE-500 that I use a lot, I decided against it. Besides it looks to be a very clean tube amp and might not deliver enough harmonic distortion to give that tube sound. I actually prefer clean, but I have enough SS amps to fill that need.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #8,459 of 13,350

My concerns about over driving the Vali were unfounded. Using the fixed line outputs of CD / DVD player the Vali now provides ear shattering, clean signal, with the gain control at no more then 12 o'clock. I'll be keeping things in this configuration until I can acquire a DAC. I think I'll start with a basic Schitt Modi 2. Do you think this will be a good match Stan?

Thanks for your input and help.

Rick

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #8,460 of 13,350
  Is there something wrong with the Uber? Or is it just the process of getting it that's ticking you off? Keep in mind, if you need to drive low impedance cans that need a bit of power, the Valhalla 2 might not fit that bill. I was interested in that amp, however, since I have an HE-500 that I use a lot, I decided against it. Besides it looks to be a very clean tube amp and might not deliver enough harmonic distortion to give that tube sound. I actually prefer clean, but I have enough SS amps to fill that need.

i'm too satisfied with it i should have bought as much as i could afford.
That and paying the customs $140 annoyed me a little bit.

i mean, $149 + $100 Fedex handling fees + $40 tax and $349 + $140 feels a lot different right?

*though to be fair, it might not be $140 anymore. If it's $40 per $149, then $349 will be $93 in tax. so $349 + $100 Fedex + $93 tax.
So... $149 + $140 vs. $349 + $193. Should have opt for the latter... Not to mention the shipping cost is almost the same between the two.
The extra fees are too much for getting the uber, and but it's not that big a jump to get the valhalla 2.

Now if i get the ragnarok, probably doesn't worth the customs fee. (not that i could afford it either).

------------------
i'm getting the hd650 soon. Well you and madwolfa and (this other person whose username i can't remember pirakaphile?) probably knows that by soon i mean a month or so from now. haha.

Anyway, both hd650 and he-400i cost the same $640. and i feel extremely dumb if i shell $640 for hd650, considering deals on Adorama, Amazon and the likes.

What kind of amp should i consider for planar magnetic headphone?
I heard that he-400i is designed to be somewhat efficient enough to be driven to a listenable level from a cellphone?
How does a solid-state amp like magni 2 uber will fare and what kind of amp i should consider if in the end i get the he-400i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back