Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 22, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #8,417 of 13,350
Blackenedplague and John Denver? Did not see that coming ...

My music taste is quite broad. You do see my avatar right? James Taylor with the Candlemass logo on top

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #8,419 of 13,350

Not really.  Such a broad statement it's not even right.

Read carefully before you rush into make a judgment. The key is I said "will likely", and I stand by that. Vinyl in my experience is certainly warmer so if that is true, and again, I said in my experience, not stating that as a truth for all people everywhere, it is reasonable to assume that those who like warm sound signatures would appreciate vinyl. You don't agree, no worries, everybody is different and your viewpoint is also valid.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #8,420 of 13,350
The only way vinyl would be warmer than digital if it was record/produced/mastered was all analog, the cartridge had a warm signature, or you fed the output through a ridiculous amount of tubes. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8,422 of 13,350
  The only way vinyl would be warmer than digital if it was record/produced/mastered was all analog, the cartridge had a warm signature, or you fed the output through a ridiculous amount of tubes. 

Fair enough, and from a technical standpoint I have no choice but to agree. Again, I would say please read my statement. I clearly have indicated this is my experience, which is true; however, my vinyl listening days were quite some time ago (80s and 90s) and quite possibly back then our system would have had a warm signature, hence my acoustic memory. So I have to admit I erred in my original statement in that I did not limit it well enough or frame it well enough, so certainly the correction is warranted. I also feel that the slight pops and ticks add to the sonic perception of warmth (at least for me) as well as the rumble that can sometimes be detected so I don't think the notion of a possible warmth being perceived is complete rubbish either.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8,423 of 13,350
Eclectic taste is the way to go, sometimes I want to listen to Dying Fetus and Funeral Mist and the next day it might just be Taylor Swift (I'm not kidding either) all day. Keeps music fresh and inspiring.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #8,424 of 13,350
And on the subject of warm here is an explanation from a recording engineer who likes to call vinyl warm sounding.

“If I have a wire that’s one-inch long, it takes no time for sound to travel over that wire. But in the coil in a turntable cartridge, that wire is very long and it’s wrapped around a magnet. So it takes a lot of time to get through that magnet and come out the other side. By the time it comes out, the sharpness, the ugliness has been rounded.

“That,” says Moore, “is what people mean by warm.”

Obviously this is one persons opinion, for what it is worth to you, you can read the article here. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2014/01/31/the_rise_of_vinyl_and_why_records_sound_warm.html

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #8,425 of 13,350
I'm also curious about the vinyl experience from those here saying that the notion of warmth is incorrect. I don't mean this in a nasty way, but are any of you old enough to have actually spent hundreds of hours listening to vinyl back in the 80s and 90s? If not that might have something to do with our perception difference. It might be reasonable to assume that todays gear is less warm than the vintage solid state gear I grew up with. Perhaps not, I'm just speculating.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #8,426 of 13,350
Jan 22, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #8,427 of 13,350
  And on the subject of warm here is an explanation from a recording engineer who likes to call vinyl warm sounding.

“If I have a wire that’s one-inch long, it takes no time for sound to travel over that wire. But in the coil in a turntable cartridge, that wire is very long and it’s wrapped around a magnet. So it takes a lot of time to get through that magnet and come out the other side. By the time it comes out, the sharpness, the ugliness has been rounded.

“That,” says Moore, “is what people mean by warm.”

Obviously this is one persons opinion, for what it is worth to you, you can read the article here. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2014/01/31/the_rise_of_vinyl_and_why_records_sound_warm.html

Based on how electronics work, that is wrong. By that argument, every single cable in the chain adds identifiable color

but are any of you old enough to have actually spent hundreds of hours listening to vinyl back in the 80s and 90s?

Irrelevant. and since you posted something you read online then so will I

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51704/do-records-really-sound-warmer-cds

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #8,429 of 13,350
  I'm 39, almost 40.  Been into vinyl since I was 17.

And to say tubes are warm as generic description is BS also.

Tubes are warm. Because they glow. Checks out.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #8,430 of 13,350
Tubes are warm. Because they glow. Checks out.

Hehe warm to the touch. It's like staring at a campfire, by the end of the night your head feels all warm and your brain feels like mush (or maybe I was inhaling smoke)

Asgard 2 sounds warmer than the Vali. I don't know it it was a bad match or what but I didn't like the Vali at all and thought the Asgard 2 swept the floor with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back