Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #8,131 of 13,350
Congratulations on your move up from "the perfect sound forever", ODAC.......jking.....:smirk:

hahaha i had a stoner acoustic ud110v2.

edit: not sure why you always associate me with the odac & nwavguy. 
rolleyes.gif
 never owned the odac. hahah.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #8,133 of 13,350
  hahaha i had a stoner acoustic ud110v2.

edit: not sure why you always associate me with the odac & nwavguy. 
rolleyes.gif
 never owned the odac. hahah.

Old age moment, I reckon, anyway enjoy your Uber Bifrost.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #8,134 of 13,350
I've been doing some A/B testing between plugging my headphones hd 650s straight into my computer and plugging it into the bifrost uber/lyr 2 stack and I'm literally not hearing any differences in sound quality at all.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #8,135 of 13,350
  I've been doing some A/B testing between plugging my headphones hd 650s straight into my computer and plugging it into the bifrost uber/lyr 2 stack and I'm literally not hearing any differences in sound quality at all.

The ugly truth is many people can't hear a difference. For those of us who can (I can), they are subtle differences that you have to train your ears over time to recognize.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #8,136 of 13,350
oh man that's rough. IDK what to tell you there. My schit stack is coming in soon-your're scaring me.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #8,137 of 13,350

The ugly truth is many people can't hear a difference. For those of us who can (I can), they are subtle differences that you have to train your ears over time to recognize.

oh man that's rough. IDK what to tell you there. My schit stack is coming in soon-your're scaring me.

I'm hearing a difference between hooking up straight to my laptop vs the schiit stack, but comparing the desktop vs the schiit stack, they sound exactly the same.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #8,138 of 13,350

I'm hearing a difference between hooking up straight to my laptop vs the schiit stack, but comparing the desktop vs the schiit stack, they sound exactly the same.

Laptops have notoriously horrible headphone jacks. At least desktops sometimes have pretty competent sound cards.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #8,139 of 13,350
  Laptops have notoriously horrible headphone jacks. At least desktops sometimes have pretty competent sound cards.

Do you think its because im using optical(toslink)? I wish I had the usb version of the bifrost to try it out.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #8,141 of 13,350
  Do you think its because im using optical(toslink)? I wish I had the usb version of the bifrost to try it out.

Optical is fine. It's what I use. I hear no difference when using coax/optical/usb. I use optical to decouple electrical connections.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #8,142 of 13,350
  Optical is fine. It's what I use. I hear no difference when using coax/optical/usb. I use optical to decouple electrical connections.

Hmm. It's just weird because when I upgraded from the bravo audio v3 tube amp to the lyr 2 I heard a discernible difference. But going from the asus xonar stx soundcard to the bifrost uber/lyr 2 stack I don't hear a difference at all. And somehow they all sound the same whether I plug the headphones straight into the computer, into the soundcard, or into the schiit stack. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #8,143 of 13,350

No. Any difference there would be between optical and USB would be much, much, much smaller than the difference between using your internal soundcard and using an external DAC and a tube hybrid amp. If you can't hear a difference between these two setups with optical, you won't hear it with USB. 

(And it's totally reasonable not to hear a difference, if your computer was providing enough power to drive those headphones well at the level you listen to.)

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #8,144 of 13,350
  Hmm. It's just weird because when I upgraded from the bravo audio v3 tube amp to the lyr 2 I heard a discernible difference. But going from the asus xonar stx soundcard to the bifrost uber/lyr 2 stack I don't hear a difference at all. And somehow they all sound the same whether I plug the headphones straight into the computer, into the soundcard, or into the schiit stack. 

The Xonar is pretty good as far as sound cards go. 

Just give your brain and ears time to develop. There will be very slight differences that you will begin to perceive. Have one reference track that you know inside and out. Listen to the small details. The etching in the track. The high pitch from a triangle. Or the rub of fingers on a guitar string. The decay of a piano note. Focus on them. Listen to it again and again over days and weeks.

Then change sources. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #8,145 of 13,350

The 650's are not the greatest resolving cans out there, but listen for the little things, soundstage/imaging cues, brush strokes on cymbals, an acoustic bass, plucked or picked, speed, dynamics, contrast between notes, decay, pick a couple of favorite, well known songs and A/B them  (pick some well recorded acoustic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back