Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #8,116 of 13,350
I am making my first foray into headphone gear, coming from 20 years of hifi 2 channel stereo. My wyrd, modi 2 and vali are set to arrive next week. I am using a pair of HD580. Looking forward to my new hobby.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #8,117 of 13,350
I am making my first foray into headphone gear, coming from 20 years of hifi 2 channel stereo. My wyrd, modi 2 and vali are set to arrive next week. I am using a pair of HD580. Looking forward to my new hobby.

welcome aboard !
i have the vali/magni 2 uber/modi, wyrd, and love it
i cane from 2 channel hifi, and i'm having a ton of fun
i've had some pretty expensive stuff, and the schiit gives about 90% of that "high end" sound, at a fraction of the cost

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #8,120 of 13,350
I've been at it since the old Walkman days. Lol. When you love music, it's impossible to walk away. I've been through a lot of different methods to hear music. Dj equipment, studio equipment, home theater etc. The best part about the headphone route , it's definitely been the cheapest method for my music , addiction. Lol.
I think of all the scratch I've dumped overtheyears and itmakes me realize I likely will never be able to retire. Haha.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #8,121 of 13,350
I've been at it since the old Walkman days. Lol. When you love music, it's impossible to walk away. I've been through a lot of different methods to hear music. Dj equipment, studio equipment, home theater etc. The best part about the headphone route , it's definitely been the cheapest method for my music , addiction. Lol.
right retirement is over rated any way. Haha. Really looking forward to this new way, like you say, to enjoy music. Regards, nordkapp

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #8,122 of 13,350
I just got the bifrost uber and it will not play 192khz tracks. I have the asus xonar stx soundcard in my computer using optical out to the bifrost. The xonar supports 192khz.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #8,123 of 13,350
  I just got the bifrost uber and it will not play 192khz tracks. I have the asus xonar stx soundcard in my computer using optical out to the bifrost. The xonar supports 192khz.

It's either source or cable. Personally I've never been able to play 192Khz through optical S/PDIF with neither Bifrost nor V-DAC I/II.
It seems to be a source Toslink transceiver limitation (mine is onboard Realtek ALC888) as $150 WireWorld optical cable didn't make any difference.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #8,124 of 13,350

It's either source or cable. Personally I've never been able to play 192Khz through optical S/PDIF with neither Bifrost nor V-DAC I/II.
In my case cable didn't matter - $150 WireWorld Supernova optical cable didn't help. So it seems to be a source transceiver limitation (I have an onboard Realtek ALC888).

I got it working. For some reason 192khz songs work in foobar but not in jriver media center. I have an expensive cable as well so I was hoping that the cable wasn't the problem lol.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8,125 of 13,350
  I got it working. For some reason 192khz songs work in foobar but not in jriver media center. I have an expensive cable as well so I was hoping that the cable wasn't the problem lol.

Even after changing the proper DSP and output settings it wouldn't work? 192khz appears to work fine with my Modi 2 Uber and JRiver. Hoping I don't run in to this problem down the road.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #8,126 of 13,350
  Even after changing the proper DSP and output settings it wouldn't work? 192khz appears to work fine with my Modi 2 Uber and JRiver. Hoping I don't run in to this problem down the road.

I got it to work in Jriver now. I had it set on my old output, but for some reason it would still play music except for 192khz. I set it to the spdif output on my soundcard and everything is working fine now. Just a slight mistake on my part.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,128 of 13,350
I just received my new Schiit Bifrost Uber w/ USB Gen2. I want to thank Schiit for taking care of me, providing fast shipping over the holidays, and their solid customer service.

Impressions: I do like this product and I do feel like there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Just started listening so hard to describe the improvements & have not gotten to do any direct blind ABx testing. May post some more detailed impressions later. Overall, I would recommend Schiit's products.

Even after this purchase, I do still believe that the audio differences between adding a DAC or different DACs are quite small and subtle relative to the sonic differences in headphones. This is my most expensive DAC purchased and it does seem to have the most easily appreciable improvement in sound quality. A lot more noticeable than the previous DACs I've tried. I can understand why this DAC is so widely recommended.

So is it worth $535.47? I guess it depends. This is a great product and I am personally quite satisfied. However, I currently own $1,400 worth of various headphones, $510 of amplifiers, and $59 of dacs (not including stuff that I've returned or sold). Adding this component to my chain makes me feel like I have maximized all the sound quality that I can personally appreciate. I have definitely reached the point of diminishing returns & I am happy just sitting tight at this point.

I still think it is wise for budget conscious buyers to invest in in nicer headphones first (especially if you are below the $200 price point) and then ensure the headphones have adequate amplification before moving onto DACs. When you are ready to move up from an entry level dac or if you want to start with a high quality dac, the Schiit Bifrost Uber is an excellent option.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #8,129 of 13,350
I just received my new Schiit Bifrost Uber w/ USB Gen2. I want to thank Schiit for taking care of me, providing fast shipping over the holidays, and their solid customer service.

Impressions: I do like this product and I do feel like there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Just started listening so hard to describe the improvements & have not gotten to do any direct blind ABx testing. May post some more detailed impressions later. Overall, I would recommend Schiit's products.

Even after this purchase, I do still believe that the audio differences between adding a DAC or different DACs are quite small and subtle relative to the sonic differences in headphones. This is my most expensive DAC purchased and it does seem to have the most easily appreciable improvement in sound quality. A lot more noticeable than the previous DACs I've tried. I can understand why this DAC is so widely recommended.

So is it worth $535.47? I guess it depends. This is a great product and I am personally quite satisfied. However, I currently own $1,400 worth of various headphones, $510 of amplifiers, and $59 of dacs (not including stuff that I've returned or sold). Adding this component to my chain makes me feel like I have maximized all the sound quality that I can personally appreciate. I have definitely reached the point of diminishing returns & I am happy just sitting tight at this point.

I still think it is wise for budget conscious buyers to invest in in nicer headphones first (especially if you are below the $200 price point) and then ensure the headphones have adequate amplification before moving onto DACs. When you are ready to move up from an entry level dac or if you want to start with a high quality dac, the Schiit Bifrost Uber is an excellent option.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #8,130 of 13,350

Congratulations on your move up from "the perfect sound forever", ODAC.......jking.....:smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back