Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #7,516 of 13,350
  I can tell you the Vali plus HD600 is very very good.

Gotta love tubes! Frankly I doubt you can go wrong either way but the guys at Schiit will know what amp will work best for your needs. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #7,517 of 13,350
i've spent the last year using a wadia 121 for dac duties, i just sold it, and got a modi again as i wait for my
lhlabs geek pulse x.
i tell you want, i'd forgotten just how good the little modi is, just outfreakingstanding for $100, damn !

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #7,518 of 13,350
Man, I'm so conflicted. First I was getting the impression that the Vali might only work with my HD 600 and was told that it hums with the M50 (Vali: 0, Magni: 1); then I read numerous accounts of the Vali working well with the X1 and was told by someone else that the Vali works well with the M50 (Vali: 1, Magni: 1); then I had someone tell me he prefers the Magni over the Vali for the HD 600 (Vali: 1, Magni: 2); then I did a thread search and saw numerous instances of praise for the HD600+Vali combo (Vali: 2, Magni: 2); and now you're telling me I should just go for the Magni due to its versatility (Vali: 2, Magni: 3). This is driving me crazy!

I'm contemplating getting the Vali and just selling whichever headphones don't work with it. Have you particularly tried the Vali with the M50 or MDR-V6? I already know the Vali works well with the HD 600 and X1, so the only uncertainties are how it pairs with the M50 and MDR-V6 (and the ATH-PRO500MK2, but those aren't so common so I won't bother asking about 'em).
I have a Magni, HD600, ATH-M50, and HE-400. All of those combinations sound good.

I will say that my HD600's sound better with my Valhalla, but A) that's a much more expensive amp, and B) Magni+HD600 does not sound bad.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,519 of 13,350
Just bought a Magni/Modi combo to pair with my HD650's. Pretty excited :) 

I'm wondering just how different of a sonic signature change occurs if I upgrade to a more expensive Schiit amp, not counting tube amps and the like. From what Schiit seems to claim, I'd be better off upgrading cables or getting better headphones than merely upgrading from the M/M stack. 

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #7,520 of 13,350
I'm wondering just how different of a sonic signature change occurs if I upgrade to a more expensive Schiit amp, not counting tube amps and the like. From what Schiit seems to claim, I'd be better off upgrading cables or getting better headphones than merely upgrading from the M/M stack. 

From my understanding the most important part of your setup is the headphones and source. The least important is the amp. After you get an amp that satisfies the requirements for running your headphones, then you reach a point of diminishing returns on more expensive options.

That is not to say that you won't hear an improvement. But if you had $1600 to spend I think you would find a much bigger benefit buying a pair of Audeze headphones then buying the Ragnorok.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7,522 of 13,350
  I remember a reviewer on YouTube saying The FiiO E10K is better than the Magni+Modi. Anyone here has experience with both of these?

i have had both, both are great at their price points, but its been a while since i've heard the e10, i don't know if i could say it's better than the m/m, or the m/m is better than the e10, i think it would depend on the headphones you were driving with them

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #7,523 of 13,350

cable changes have the least impact. headphones changes have the most.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #7,524 of 13,350
  i have had both, both are great at their price points, but its been a while since i've heard the e10, i don't know if i could say it's better than the m/m, or the m/m is better than the e10, i think it would depend on the headphones you were driving with them

Really? The M/M ($218) is $142 more than the E10K ($76). I would hope the M/M would obviously be better...

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #7,525 of 13,350
Really? The M/M ($218) is $142 more than the E10K ($76). I would hope the M/M would obviously be better...

as i said ,i think a lot depends on how you use each and what headphones you're using. Going from memory id say the m/m is a little more on the bright or lighter sound where the e10 more mellow
Head fi is so subjective, i could say something is the best and someone else might think it sucks

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #7,526 of 13,350
While one certainly might spend a lot on NOS tubes, it's not really necessary.  Just don't want to discourage people from consider the Lyr (used) or Lyr 2 due to an assumption that a $200 pair of tubes is necessary.  But yes, it's wise to plan on buying other tubes, if only to compare.  Some people live fine with the stock or other inexpensive tubes.  Just look at all the people who aren't on the tube rolling thread :wink:

That said, tubes are fun :)

Yes one can find inexpensive tubes to roll. I really enjoy using Genalex Gold Lions, in my lyr 2, though I have the fantastic Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, which are brilliant, and I use them certain nights, to flesh out details in the music. I hope to do a review on the current production Telefunken TK tubes and compare them to my other tubes. I admit I wish I had the exportable income, to have a fine collection of tubes.
Andrew Reddog Jones.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #7,527 of 13,350
Thanks for the responses friends. 

From my understanding the most important part of your setup is the headphones and source. The least important is the amp. After you get an amp that satisfies the requirements for running your headphones, then you reach a point of diminishing returns on more expensive options.

What about upgrading the DAC? 

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #7,529 of 13,350
Yes one can find inexpensive tubes to roll. I really enjoy using Genalex Gold Lions, in my lyr 2, though I have the fantastic Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, which are brilliant, and I use them certain nights, to flesh out details in the music. I hope to do a review on the current production Telefunken TK tubes and compare them to my other tubes. I admit I wish I had the exportable income, to have a fine collection of tubes.
Andrew Reddog Jones.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the current production Teles vs. the NOS E88CCs.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #7,530 of 13,350

Depends on your ears, I would guess. My thoughts are that if you want a different sound, get a different pair of headphones. If you want a slightly adjusted/improved sound, start with the amp, then the dac, and then cables. But each one offers an incrementally smaller change, and it's possible that even an amp upgrade will make only a small improvement in sound to you. Some components may sound different, but you'll have to judge whether that difference is an actual improvement, and whether the improvement is worth the financial cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back