Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 12, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,427 of 13,350
Nov 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #7,431 of 13,350

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #7,432 of 13,350
Celine Dion at ANY level of dB's should not be spoken of within this forum - the first rule, remember ...

The first rule of Head-Fi is you don't talk about Celine Dion on Head-Fi. The second rule of Head-Fi is YOU DON'T TALK about Celine Dion on Head-Fi.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7,433 of 13,350
How big is the difference in sound quality between the Gungnir and the Bifrost Uber with gen 2 USB upgrades?

I have ordered myself a Lyr 2 and a Gungnir, but I've waited 3 weeks now and there is no end in sight for the wait on the Gungnir.  I just spoke with Schiit customer service about switching the Gungnir for a Bifrost with the upgrades I listed above.  

At this point in time, I do not have a balanced amp nor balanced headphones so I am wondering if I would be pretty much just as good with the Bifrost (saving myself around 300 as well).  Primarily going to use via USB.  I did like how the Gungnir provided me options in case I wanted to upgrade to balanced in the future, but it really isn't necessary at this moment.  Does the Gungnir provide noticeably better separation, sound staging, detail retrieval etc?

By the time I may need balanced, they may have a new DAC entirely or there might be something better.

So what's the verdict on the Bifrost 2nd gen usb + uber analog upgrade compared with the Gungnir (2nd gen usb) with a Lyr 2???  Is it worth the extra $ and wait??

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7,435 of 13,350
  How big is the difference in sound quality between the Gungnir and the Bifrost Uber with gen 2 USB upgrades?

I have ordered myself a Lyr 2 and a Gungnir, but I've waited 3 weeks now and there is no end in sight for the wait on the Gungnir.  I just spoke with Schiit customer service about switching the Gungnir for a Bifrost with the upgrades I listed above.  

At this point in time, I do not have a balanced amp nor balanced headphones so I am wondering if I would be pretty much just as good with the Bifrost (saving myself around 300 as well).  Primarily going to use via USB.  I did like how the Gungnir provided me options in case I wanted to upgrade to balanced in the future, but it really isn't necessary at this moment.  Does the Gungnir provide noticeably better separation, sound staging, detail retrieval etc?

By the time I may need balanced, they may have a new DAC entirely or there might be something better.

So what's the verdict on the Bifrost 2nd gen usb + uber analog upgrade compared with the Gungnir (2nd gen usb) with a Lyr 2???  Is it worth the extra $ and wait??

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream#post_10040449

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,436 of 13,350

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream#post_10040449

That's a great place to start, especially comparing the Gungnir to its peers and above. I don't remember there being a lot of talk about it compared to the Bifrost Uber. I think doing a search in the Gungnir appreciation thread with "Bifrost Uber" will yield better results. Please note that many an attempt to suggest that a fully-upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode is still better than an Uber Bifrost has attracted swarms of pitchfork wielding Uberists to reign death on the unsuspectings. All the best.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #7,437 of 13,350
  Please note that many an attempt to suggest that a fully-upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode is still better than an Uber Bifrost has attracted swarms of pitchfork wielding Uberists to reign death on the unsuspectings. All the best.

Why would it be (noticeably) better given that in non-balanced mode it essentialy IS a Bifrost Uber? Just summing the outputs from exactly the same DAC boards.

Yes, it has the Adapticlock mumbo-jumbo, but would that really make a world of a difference?

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #7,438 of 13,350

Nothing like professional lawn mowers outside Sunday morning...

Yes, and it is not just Sundays.  Really bugs me on a nice day off, the noise of leaf blowers and lawn mowers.

Visited a friend in a really upscale part of LA once, got really hyped about spending the day out back in the garden/pool area.  Noise just killed it for me, you can hear these things at 200 yards.  Worse than highways at 500 yards.  Doesn't help that you know the lawn is being leaf blown for people who aren't even there and won't be there for weeks to come.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #7,439 of 13,350

Unless you have an EXTREMELY transparent/accurate amplifier and headphones, you probably won't notice.

Since you are using a tube amp you can get whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7,440 of 13,350
Ghunghir + Mjolnir looking for 3-some with Tube Buffer/Preamp to make warm and smooth sounds

I want to see if adding a tube pre-amp between Gunghir & Mjolnir would add back some of the lushness I miss from from SE Tube amp.

Maybe not a permanent addition to my stack but what do you think about this http://www.amazon.com/ART-Pro-MPAII-Channel-Preamp/dp/B0020IYOO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415942313&sr=8-1&keywords=art+pro+2

Any reason not to try and see how it sounds?

Variable Input Impedance For Flexible Microphone Voicing
Selectable Plate Voltage
Discrete Class-A Input Microphone Preamplifier
Low Noise at Lower Gain Settings
Extremely Low Total Harmonic Distortion

Product Description
The ART Pro MPA II two channel microphone preamp is the next generation in affordable high performance microphone preamp technology.
Each microphone input circuit, with selectable 48v phantom power, features variable input impedance which can radically vary the overall performance of any high quality dynamic or ribbon microphone.
The Pro MPA II can be configured for dual mono or stereo operation with selectable mid/side mic support, summing the adjacent channel, to decode left/right signals.
The Pro MPA II can operate at either a low or high plate voltage on the two integrated hand-selected 12AX7 tubes for wider variation of preamp tone and performance.
Large back-lit analog VU output meters display input or output levels while multi-colored LED arrays, with average or peak hold, show tube gain. Housed in a standard 2 space rack-mountable steel chassis, with CNC routed black anodized aluminum face panel, the ProMPA II is designed to deliver years of reliable operation in the studio, production facility, or on the road for live sound reinforcement.

Features: Variable Input Impedance For Flexible Microphone Voicing (150 Ohms To 2400 Ohms) Selectable Plate Voltage Large VU Meters Backlit Function Switches Discrete Class-A Input Microphone Preamplifier Low Noise at Lower Gain Settings Extremely Low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) Wide Frequency Response Additional Front Mounted Instrument Input Jack Supports Mid/Side Miking Technique Operates at +4dbm/-10dbv Output Selectable Stereo/Dual Operation of Output Controls Automatic Instrument Input Selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back