Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #6,601 of 13,350
Hi Guys,

I´m planning to buy a new DAC to work with my Lyr 2.
At the Moment I´m using a HRT-Microstreamer.
What do you think I should buy? The Bifrost or the Gungnir?
I also have an eye on the Resonessence Labs Concero HD.
Which one will be the best choice.

Regards
Olaf

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6,602 of 13,350
Hi Guys,

Regards

Olaf

Olaf,

I am using the Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr 2>HE560/Alpha Dogs, and it Ida wonderful combination, highly recommended. With that said, if you have the € for a Gungnir then by all means get it, great DAC.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #6,603 of 13,350
Olaf,

I am using the Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr 2>HE560/Alpha Dogs, and it Ida wonderful combination, highly recommended. With that said, if you have the € for a Gungnir then by all means get it, great DAC.

Isn't the principle advantage of the Gungnir over the Bifrost (balanced outputs) lost without a balanced headphone amplifier? The Uber Bifrost has inherited the analog section design principles from Gungnir anyways, so the Gungnir over Bifrost seems mostly pointless unless you want a BNC input and don't want to use an RCA-BNC adapter.

Of course, if you want a balanced amp in the future, then Gungnir starts to look like the smarter option....

Cheers

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #6,604 of 13,350
  Hi Guys,

Regards
Olaf

Olaf,

last year my setup was:  iMac-->Bifrost Uber-->Lyr-->HE-500.

I liked it in general but
1) noise floor of Lyr wasn't exactly the quietest
2) without the JK Audio Pureformer in the RCA chain, had some hum (ground loop or other) that bugged me.
3) was never going to use the other 2 inputs on Bifrost besides USB.

so, sold Bifrost- went to Concero HD for a few reasons.  smaller form factor, no AC power, no hum into Lyr even without JK Pureformer.
DSD playback, superb clarity and resolution. a couple DAC filters to play with.
haven't looked back.

next week I'll be seth with:
Concero HD-->Lyr 2-->HE-560
and done.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #6,605 of 13,350

Isn't the principle advantage of the Gungnir over the Bifrost (balanced outputs) lost without a balanced headphone amplifier? The Uber Bifrost has inherited the analog section design principles from Gungnir anyways, so the Gungnir over Bifrost seems mostly pointless unless you want a BNC input and don't want to use an RCA-BNC adapter.

Of course, if you want a balanced amp in the future, then Gungnir starts to look like the smarter option....

Cheers

The benefits of the Gungnir over the Uber-Bifrost are not only limited to the balanced outputs. It's simply a better sounding DAC.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,607 of 13,350
A/B'd? I've heard them both, not at the same time, and chose to purchase the Gungnir. However, don't take my subjective word for it. Simply read up on the Schiit website and Gungnir thread, and you will find that there are more improved differences than simply balanced outs over the Bifrost Uber USB. I'm simply trying to point out that steering someone away from the Gungnir by claiming its only advantage is balanced outs is misleading. IMHO.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #6,608 of 13,350
I seriously doubt that you can go wrong with either DAC yet the Gungnir is a hardware balanced design with two AKM DAC's rather than one and is a more advanced design. Will that matter to you in your system? Only you can say for sure. 

According to Schiit Audio's website: So this is two Bifrost DAC/Analog stages in a box?
No. The analog stage is considerably more advanced in Gungnir, with better open-loop bandwidth, true differential summing, and DC-coupled output, as well as 160% higher voltage rails. The Gungnir offers the world’s most advanced Adapticlock™ clock regeneration system. 

Have I compared it to the Bifrost? No, and I have no doubt that the Biforst if a wonderful DAC. I can truthfully state that I enjoyed the Gungnir Gen 2 USB more than my Bryston BDA-1 and the Benchmark DAC1 USB and for the cost difference I find that rather impressive. 

Best of luck with whatever you decide. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #6,609 of 13,350
  The benefits of the Gungnir over the Uber-Bifrost are not only limited to the balanced outputs. It's simply a better sounding DAC.

A/B'd? I've heard them both, not at the same time, and chose to purchase the Gungnir. However, don't take my subjective word for it. Simply read up on the Schiit website and Gungnir thread, and you will find that there are more improved differences than simply balanced outs over the Bifrost Uber USB. I'm simply trying to point out that steering someone away from the Gungnir by claiming its only advantage is balanced outs is misleading. IMHO.

Explain?

I never spoke in absolute terms. I am completely correct that currently the biggest differentiator between the Uber Bifrost and the Gungnir is balanced operation.

The only other practical difference in functionality stems from what inputs and output are available and the form factor.

While technologically interesting, the fancy clocking in Gungnir is either 1) irrelevant to asynch USB or 2) fixing a problem in the upstream SPDIF device.

I am not trying to steer anybody one way or another to any product. I was just trying to put the relevant information out there regarding the pros/cons/actual differences between the two DACs. I even argued both sides of the case! pro for Bifrost: it is basically the same DAC as gungnir but single-ended. pro for Gungnir: it is balanced and makes a good choice for future upgrades.

Perhaps you can elaborate on how you came to believe that Gungnir is simply a better sounding DAC?

Cheers

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #6,610 of 13,350

Explain?

I never spoke in absolute terms. I am completely correct that currently the biggest differentiator between the Uber Bifrost and the Gungnir is balanced operation.

The only other practical difference in functionality stems from what inputs and output are available and the form factor.

While technologically interesting, the fancy clocking in Gungnir is either 1) irrelevant to asynch USB or 2) fixing a problem in the upstream SPDIF device.

I am not trying to steer anybody one way or another to any product. I was just trying to put the relevant information out there regarding the pros/cons/actual differences between the two DACs. I even argued both sides of the case! pro for Bifrost: it is basically the same DAC as gungnir but single-ended. pro for Gungnir: it is balanced and makes a good choice for future upgrades.

Perhaps you can elaborate on how you came to believe that Gungnir is simply a better sounding DAC?

Cheers

You're the man.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #6,611 of 13,350
  I seriously doubt that you can go wrong with either DAC yet the Gungnir is a hardware balanced design with two AKM DAC's rather than one and is a more advanced design. Will that matter to you in your system? Only you can say for sure. 

According to Schiit Audio's website: So this is two Bifrost DAC/Analog stages in a box?
No. The analog stage is considerably more advanced in Gungnir, with better open-loop bandwidth, true differential summing, and DC-coupled output, as well as 160% higher voltage rails. The Gungnir offers the world’s most advanced Adapticlock™ clock regeneration system. 

Have I compared it to the Bifrost? No, and I have no doubt that the Biforst if a wonderful DAC. I can truthfully state that I enjoyed the Gungnir Gen 2 USB more than my Bryston BDA-1 and the Benchmark DAC1 USB and for the cost difference I find that rather impressive. 

Best of luck with whatever you decide. 

If I recall correctly the
"So this is two Bifrost DAC/Analog stages in a box?
No. The analog stage is considerably more advanced in Gungnir,"

bit was written before Bifrost received the Uber upgrade. See Schiit's description:
 Bifrost Uber: Even More Impressive Performance
Order the Bifrost Uber option, and you get a discrete analog stage based on the more advanced Gungnir DAC, with a sophisticated topology that improves sonic and measured performance, and a DC servo to eliminate capacitors in the signal path. Not that the base Bifrost is any slouch—it’s frequently been compared to DACs that cost 3-8x as much.

What inputs do you use on your Gungnir?

Cheers

You're the man.

Thx bro

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #6,612 of 13,350

If I recall correctly the
bit was written before Bifrost received the Uber upgrade. See Schiit's description:

What inputs do you use on your Gungnir?

Cheers

Thx bro

I should have said that it's simply a better sounding DAC IMO. I don't wish to get into A/B, double blind, objective arguments at all. I just don't want someone to not look into obtaining enhanced sound due to misinformation. I use the USB connection on my Gungnir and am currently auditioning the Wyrd as well to see if it improves performance. It sure does for my laptop, which was totally useless prior. I am still debating whether it does so for my main PC source. All the best.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #6,613 of 13,350
If one doesn't experience jitter on their Bifrost the Gungnir's adapticlock does nothing. You will not have jitter issues with the Bifrost unless you have exceptionally bad connections.. Specwise they are the same, comparing to the Uber option, both far better than any human being can perceive. If one doesn't need balanced I/O there's no harm in going upscale, other than to one's wallet.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #6,614 of 13,350
One thing Schiit's site says is that the Gungnir has "60% higher voltage rails" than the Bifrost, but (1) is that negated by the über upgrade and (2) would that make a huge difference? These are honest questions, I'm not claiming to know anything...

That being said, I agree with @ab initio. That dude knows his stuff about DACs. Furthermore, I have the Gungnir and the Modi, and while I love the Gungnir and have no regrets buying it, the difference between it and the Modi are slim. Maybe a big difference in relative terms, but in absolute, we're splitting hairs here. I don't think you'd be "missing out" with the Bifrost. I only bought the Gungnir for future balanced use.

beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #6,615 of 13,350
I use Gungnir's USB input in my office system and the BNC input in my Den. 

As I said, you can't go wrong with either DAC.  I also said: Have I compared it to the Bifrost? No, and I have no doubt that the Biforst if a wonderful DAC.

Everything sounds the same anyway. Yada Yada Yada...

Contact Mr. Mike Moffat, I'm sure he'll tell you that they're both exactly the same DAC except for the XLR output and no human ears could ever hear the difference between the two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back