Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #6,616 of 13,350
ZOMG my Schiit will be here tomorrow I'm kind of freaking out at the moment hell I've even had dreams about them and how awesome they're going to sound. My wife doesn't seem to think it's going to sound any different but what does she know? Once I get my proverbial feet wet with the Valhalla 2 and Uber Bifrost I'm going to start saving up for the Audeze LCD2, the Mjolnir, and the Gungnir for the magically balanced experience.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,617 of 13,350
I like Audirvana the best so far, followed by Bitperfect. I found Amarra to be too buggy and clunky, especially for its cost.

I'd agree with that. I think Amarra sounds the best (with PCM), but Audirvana Plus sounds very good too (and MUCH better than Amarra on DSD files). Audirvana is stable, cheap and regularly updated. I have used Audirvana since the free version (ages ago) with no complaints. Just recently tried Amarra, and - as I mentioned - I do believe it sounds a bit better (richer, more nuanced and detailed), but it is buggy and HOGS your computer's resources and is very FRUSTRATING to use.  I suggest you download demos of each and see which one you prefer for yourself.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,619 of 13,350
  If one doesn't experience jitter on their Bifrost the Gungnir's adapticlock does nothing. You will not have jitter issues with the Bifrost unless you have exceptionally bad connections.. Specwise they are the same, comparing to the Uber option, both far better than any human being can perceive. If one doesn't need balanced I/O there's no harm in going upscale, other than to one's wallet.
biggrin.gif

If one doesn't experience jitter on their Bifrost the Gungnir's adapticlock does nothing. You will not have jitter issues with the Bifrost unless you have exceptionally bad connections.. Specwise they are the same, comparing to the Uber option, both far better than any human being can perceive. If one doesn't need balanced I/O there's no harm in going upscale, other than to one's wallet.
biggrin.gif

I am sure you compared the two and came to your conclusions. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #6,620 of 13,350
Just a reminder, the thread title is "Schiit owners unite" and not "Schiit owners untie"
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Oops...impulse bought a Modi...

Awesome, usb or optical?

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6,622 of 13,350
Oops...impulse bought a Modi...

The fact that something as awesome as a Modi is cheap enough to be in the impulse buy category is awesome.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #6,623 of 13,350
Aug 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #6,625 of 13,350
stated on their website.
no.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #6,629 of 13,350
I've seen a few post on gungnir vs uber frost and after about 5 months or so since I upgraded from the modi to the gungnir I have yet to use the balanced output or bnc input . I do believe from reviews that the gungnir is a better dac than uber frost even through se outputs but the $330 difference (about 63% more than uber frost so it's not just a no brainer upgrade if your only using se outputs) is something to consider and also don't forget the bifrost takes up less space on your desk. That being said I love the way my valhalla/gungnir combo sounds no doubt an improvement over the modi/valhalla and very much over the modi/vali with my hd 650s but I still have days that I would trade my gungnir for an uber frost and $330.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back