Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #6,542 of 13,350
Regarding the asgard, i've read occasionally, that the asgard 2 has a bright sound signature.  Thats one thing i certainly don't want. Is it true? I wouldn't want to have more highs on my hd555 or pretty balanced sounding HD600s.

I definitely wouldn't say A2 is bright. You should pick Asgard, and put the money you save over Valhalla towards Bifrost.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #6,543 of 13,350

Should have said I've got no noise issues when using my rMBP.  Doing some research around certainly looks like a ground loop.

the noise passes through the Wyrd and D1 even when they are both powered off as well.  Stops as soon as I break the chain.

It's ground noise, but not really the 60Hz you get in a loop.  My guess is an electric motor: fridge compressor, A/C blower or compressor, big fan, vacuum cleaner, or the like.  Not of the small electronic fan variety.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #6,544 of 13,350

Negative.  

Wondering if this would do the trick http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-X-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9869678-2025751?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1224432808&sr=8-1

Would be great if they made an inverse of this  http://www.usbcondoms.com

I doubt that the Hum-X is going to do anything.
Try this, for noise diagnostics (as it will not pass audio). With the entire chain connected, disconnect the power cords for the Wyrd and D1. The PC and  Even remove the Wyrd from the chain, if it doesn't help, take it out of the equation. The JBL and PC should be plugged into the same outlet/powerstrip. Sometimes these situations are very difficult to unravel. You might try a gadget as in the below link. They are usually a coupling transformer and cheap ones have poor SQ, I'll bet that the one below sucks, but may be useful for diagnosing the problem.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214
That JBL looks like it sounds really good, I hope you get this straightened out soon.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #6,546 of 13,350
  It's ground noise, but not really the 60Hz you get in a loop.  My guess is an electric motor: fridge compressor, A/C blower or compressor, big fan, vacuum cleaner, or the like.  Not of the small electronic fan variety.

Gotcha.  The A/C unit in my room is probably on that same circuit, although I did turn it off for the purpose of recording the noise.

I doubt that the Hum-X is going to do anything.
Try this, for noise diagnostics (as it will not pass audio). With the entire chain connected, disconnect the power cords for the Wyrd and D1. The PC and  Even remove the Wyrd from the chain, if it doesn't help, take it out of the equation. The JBL and PC should be plugged into the same outlet/powerstrip. Sometimes these situations are very difficult to unravel. You might try a gadget as in the below link. They are usually a coupling transformer and cheap ones have poor SQ, I'll bet that the one below sucks, but may be useful for diagnosing the problem.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214
That JBL looks like it sounds really good, I hope you get this straightened out soon.

The D1 is USB powered.  The noise was there before the Wyrd, and you could actually hear it starting before the USB connection was completely made between the PC/DAC.  With the Wyrd in, the noise passes through even when it is powered off (and the D1 doesn't show it's powered on)

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #6,547 of 13,350

Stan,

Thanks.  Your simple question and comment helped immensely.  When I disconnect the Hosa cables from the DAC, that also breaks the loop, and everything works great.

Now to figuring out a permanent solution.

hell yeah Hosa cables

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #6,551 of 13,350
Guys,
I live in India and it's 220V here. Should I be using the Wyrd with a tranny or would an adapter 110-240v take care of the issue?
Thanks

I'm running the Wyrd for weeks on end using a 230 VAC -> 9 VDC adapter. It is feeding my DragonFly DAC. I guess if you stay away from the max load of 1 A towards your DAC, you can repeat this trick. Most DACs have their own power supply anyway and do not draw any current at all. Warranty void and at your own risk...

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #6,552 of 13,350
Any news on the Schiit Rag or Ygg since the other thread was closed?

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #6,553 of 13,350
Any news on the Schiit Rag or Ygg since the other thread was closed?

Bonus Post: Schiit Pipeline Update

Hey guys,

I am finally fully up and back to it, and I wanted to update you on where we are with new products.

We’re expecting to launch 6 new products before the end of this year (stop laughing.) You know about three of them:

• Mani. As usual, waiting for parts. We guess mid-September.
  • Ragnarok. Currently we have full runs of production boards, metal, etc and are finishing debugging one last little problem and finalizing a test fixture to process boards at a reasonable rate. Soon, I will open up a final beta program for 20 buyers at a discounted price, and with 100% refund if you don’t like it. There will be a form to fill out for inclusion in the beta; it won’t be first-come, first-served. After the 15-day beta, assuming all is well, we’ll open up ordering. Please don’t bother hounding me about this. It will happen soon, and it will happen when it happens.
  • Yggdrasil. Will be at RMAF, in what should be final form. For further questions, ask Mike (Baldr.)

You don’t know about the other three, but you’ll see if I make good on the promise. Again, stop laughing. I’m hoping to have at least one of the three at RMAF. Yeah, I know. We’ll see.

After that, buckle up for 2015. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

All the best,

Jason
Here's a post from Jason.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #6,554 of 13,350
Aug 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,555 of 13,350
Figured I'd get on the schiit train as well. Ordered the entry level magni and modi combo. And got a pair of Senn HD650s on the way as well.
Can't wait to get it. Will hopefully be a nice improvement over my current Fiio E07 -> PSB M4U2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back