Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,526 of 13,350
  Even though I only have one piece of Schiit, I consider myself a total Schitthead. I see more Schiit in my future, that's for sure. Here's a photo of my Gungnir, I swapped the 1st generation USB board for the 2nd generation one as soon as it came out. I love this DAC, when I first heard it, I had a genuine "wow" moment. 

Edit: tried to post an image, don't know how to do it....

I think its 5. If one of us lazy bastards would do a minute search in the head-fi rules posted on this website we'd know the answer. And I do mean me 
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #6,527 of 13,350
Hi there, 

after reading hundreds of posts all over headfi, trying to find a new amp/dac, i think i am looking for some serious schiit :wink:

I would like to order the valhalla 2, combined with a modi, but i am not entirely shure wether i should go with tubes, or with a ss amp, like the asgard 2.

Currently i own a fiio e10. The wolfson dac gives it a tiny bit of warmth, which i doesn't mind at all. Overall i liked it, but always felt, that something is missing, especially in regards to the soundstage, which sounded to me a little bit too narrow. 

My Headphones are HD600, HD555, HD540 Reference II, AKG K272HD, Creative Aurvana Live 2, Shure SE215 and some other (cheaper) stuff. 

My most used headphone is the HD 555, followed by the HD600(for serious listening) and the Shure SE215(mostly for having fun listenig sessions:wink: )

So why i am asking:

The valhalla 2 has not, if any reviews and not many people seem to own one. 
How does it sound, compared to other amps eg. the asgard 2 (i know the description of tube sound in general)
I am also not entirely shure, if i could use my top thre Headphones with the valhalla 2 because of the outputimpedance of the amp.
Ps. I love the look of the valhalla (2). I always wanted to have a tube amplifier, but not at all costs :wink:.

Regarding the asgard, i've read occasionally, that the asgard 2 has a bright sound signature. 
Thats one thing i certainly don't want. Is it true? I wouldn't want to have more highs on my hd555 or pretty balanced sounding HD600s.

Ps. As i am a student i wouldn't like to buy two times :wink:, so i hope to find the right amp with your help and support :) Thank you very much in advance :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #6,528 of 13,350
I have the Lyr and the Asgard 2 and use the A2 in my office every day (with Gungnir) and I've never found it to sound bright. I think it sounds accurate...feed it a bad recording and that's what you'll hear, with good to great recording it'll allow your headphones to shine. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6,529 of 13,350
  I have the Lyr and the Asgard 2 and use the A2 in my office every day (with Gungnir) and I've never found it to sound bright. I think it sounds accurate...feed it a bad recording and that's what you'll hear, with good to great recording it'll allow your headphones to shine. 

+1

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,530 of 13,350
+1 on all the Schiit amps. I have the Valhalla 2 and luv it. Has hi/low gain switch so it will work well with all your headphones. There are a good number of reviews on it, and they're all enthusiastic. *

* (I have not read all the reviews in the universe. Those I have, are all raves).

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #6,531 of 13,350

+1 on all the Schiit amps. I have the Valhalla 2 and luv it. Has hi/low gain switch so it will work well with all your headphones. There are a good number of reviews on it, and they're all enthusiastic. *

* (I have not read all the reviews in the universe. Those I have, are all raves).

Thank you very much to both of you :) Great to hear, that the valhalla 2 will work well with all my headphones, and that asgard 2 performs very well aswell :). Makes the decision even harder^^ 

Which one would you suggest more?

Ps: Could you pls send me a couple of reviews about the valhalla 2? :) I already read the thread about the owners thread of the valhalla 2 but there were, on my last check "only" previews available. 

EDIT:  @ StandD thank you very much aswell :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #6,532 of 13,350
I think its 5. If one of us lazy bastards would do a minute search in the head-fi rules posted on this website we'd know the answer. And I do mean me :p  

I looked up the rules, and I'll need to make 10 posts before I can post an image. I guess I'll have to try to find something meaningful to say. :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #6,533 of 13,350
Got my wyrd today.  Unfortunately didn't sort out my usb problems.  I've got noise going through to the headphones or speakers even with the Wyrd off.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #6,535 of 13,350
  What kind of noise? Maybe you have a ground loop.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25125/1407972385184.wav  this is a recording I just did of the noise I am getting out of my JBL LSR305s.

My current setup is an Intel NUC  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wykh.html
USB -> Wyrd -> AudioEngine D1 -> Hosa RCA -> 1/4" to LRS305
                                         \_> V-Moda M100

The sound recorded above is actually audible even with listening through to the M100s which turns off the RCA outputs.  There is audible noise in the headphones when not listening to music as well.

The noise isn't that noticeable when you are listening to music, except at quieter parts.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #6,536 of 13,350

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25125/1407972385184.wav  this is a recording I just did of the noise I am getting out of my JBL LSR305s.

My current setup is an Intel NUC  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wykh.html
USB -> Wyrd -> AudioEngine D1 -> Hosa RCA -> 1/4" to LRS305
                                         \_> V-Moda M100

The sound recorded above is actually audible even with listening through to the M100s which turns off the RCA outputs.  There is audible noise in the headphones when not listening to music as well.

The noise isn't that noticeable when you are listening to music, except at quieter parts.

Should have said I've got no noise issues when using my rMBP.  Doing some research around certainly looks like a ground loop.

the noise passes through the Wyrd and D1 even when they are both powered off as well.  Stops as soon as I break the chain.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #6,537 of 13,350
  What kind of noise? Maybe you have a ground loop.

Stan,

Thanks.  Your simple question and comment helped immensely.  When I disconnect the Hosa cables from the DAC, that also breaks the loop, and everything works great.

Now to figuring out a permanent solution.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #6,538 of 13,350
rmullins08,

You might try making sure that your computer and audio equipment are plugged into the same powerstrip. I had a ground loop problem that I solved by doing that.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #6,539 of 13,350
  rmullins08,

You might try making sure that your computer and audio equipment are plugged into the same powerstrip. I had a ground loop problem that I solved by doing that.

All in the same UPS.

Although I now realize that some of the ports are Surge only, and the others are Surge and Battery backup.  Will try putting them all into the same protection.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #6,540 of 13,350
  rmullins08,

Negative.  

Wondering if this would do the trick http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-X-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9869678-2025751?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1224432808&sr=8-1

Would be great if they made an inverse of this  http://www.usbcondoms.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back