Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #6,468 of 13,350

The duty rate for audio amplifiers is 4.5% (EU-wide). What's the rest of that? Brokerage fees?

I have the strong feeling shipping companies charge some mystic max figure and pass through less to the authorities. Also I think they just look for a figure on the bill and start using that for all calculations. That way you end up paying tax over tax and also the highest rate over everything. It could be just my wicked mind...

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #6,469 of 13,350
Some real examples since I recently ordered some Schiit equipment, everything is in Euros and including shipping:

Valhalla 2, payed 300.71 to Schiit. FedEx charged me 89.47 extra afterwards.
Wyrd, payed 92.47 to Schiit. PostNL charged me 28.33 extra afterwards.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #6,471 of 13,350
  BTW about the taxing when ordered from the USA. In The Netherlands you even have to pay VAT over the US shipping costs. And also over the US VAT come to think of it. schiit-europe.com does not sell the Valhalla 2 nor the Wyrd, so there is not much choice other then to pay.

They probably come to Sonority Audio's selection sooner or later. By the way, not sure if it's because of where I live, but schiit-europe's shippings take a small forever. On both accounts with A2 and Uberfrost it took over two weeks for the shipments to arrive. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #6,472 of 13,350

They probably come to Sonority Audio's selection sooner or later. By the way, not sure if it's because of where I live, but schiit-europe's shippings take a small forever. On both accounts with A2 and Uberfrost it took over two weeks for the shipments to arrive. 

I also noticed that the Valhalla (1) I once ordered from Sonority took longer to arrive than the equipment I directly ordered from Schiit USA.

They cannot start selling the Wyrd since currently it is 110 VAC only, but not selling the success number Valhalla 2 keeps me in the dark because if you want to order the old one, it is placed on back-order. So no old stock to sell first. They really miss out on a hype here. 

My personal experience with companies that sell high-end audio is that they attract employees with high self esteem and low self reflection. I expect nothing else from Sonority...

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,473 of 13,350
VAT will never happen in the USA, we hate taxes and politicians. 
biggrin.gif

Don't they keep adding to VAT as a product exchanges hands before reaching the consumer? Where I come from there is a sales tax of 7% that is levied only once at the final point of sale. Some states charge some more, some charge less, but nothing like those sky high rates some of you guys get slammed with. In a word, ouch

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #6,474 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

Don't they keep adding to VAT as a product exchanges hands before reaching the consumer? Where I come from there is a sales tax of 7% that is levied only once at the final point of sale. Some states charge some more, some charge less, but nothing like those sky high rates some of you guys get slammed with. In a word, ouch

But then we got our crazy expensive healthcare and super expensive education, so it puts everything back into a fair equilibrium. 
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #6,475 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

Yep, in Holland the government no longer seems to be there for the citizens. It has been reversed. We also must pay 52% income tax above an equivalent of 70k USD per year. Below that it is "only" 42% and 37%. We really took a wrong turn somewhere, and I think it is going to hit us hard in the near future. Surrounding countries have a much more realistic tax pressure on the working class and the borders are open: so long and thanks for all the fish... But on the bright side, the receivers of all that tax money are satisfied to some extend.

I have to limit myself because I think this is a bit off-topic.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,476 of 13,350

But then we got our crazy expensive healthcare and super expensive education, so it puts everything back into a fair equilibrium. 
wink.gif

I get good health insurance from my work. Education can be reasonable if one goes the Universities, well my daughter's education, I bought an extra small house that I can't live in.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #6,477 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

Where I come from there is a sales tax of 7% that is levied only once at the final point of sale.

Same excrement, different package.

Don't they keep adding to VAT as a product exchanges hands before reaching the consumer?

Yes, but it is a tax on value added. There is no tax on tax.

Some states charge some more, some charge less, but nothing like those sky high rates some of you guys get slammed with. In a word, ouch

Indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back