Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #6,481 of 13,350
I liked this so much, I've decided to paste it here.

As long as you're not failing to feed your kids or pay the mortgage you have to live. They say you regret the things you don't do in life far more than the things you do. Enjoy these experiences when you are young and accept that it is okay to indulge in something that is very important to you. We are told by the financial industry that you should be a savings machine (because the banks make far more from your money then you ever will). I say be responsible, and bite of expenses you can handle, but if it takes you a year to pay off a headphone that you love, it is money well invested. Don't believe the hype about needing a million dollars to retire, you'll be old and needing far less than you think. I served an older gentleman one day and we got to talking. I was in my 20s and he gave me this same advice, enjoy living when you are young. Sure pay your bills and try to save some, but don't deny yourself what you really want. He explained to me how he had been a saver and constantly denied himself pleasures as he didn't want to be too indulgent and wasteful. Now as an old man he regretted not doing the things he wanted, not having that nice meal and a bottle of wine with good frieds. Why? Because he had money now, but he was too old to really enjoy what he wanted. Friends were dead or gone, had all kinds of money, but few things he really could enjoy at that age. Enjoy your 650s and don't feel bad, life is a one shot deal my friend, and when you are young your hearing is at its finest.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #6,482 of 13,350
  I liked this so much, I've decided to paste it here.

As long as you're not failing to feed your kids or pay the mortgage you have to live. They say you regret the things you don't do in life far more than the things you do. Enjoy these experiences when you are young and accept that it is okay to indulge in something that is very important to you. We are told by the financial industry that you should be a savings machine (because the banks make far more from your money then you ever will). I say be responsible, and bite of expenses you can handle, but if it takes you a year to pay off a headphone that you love, it is money well invested. Don't believe the hype about needing a million dollars to retire, you'll be old and needing far less than you think. I served an older gentleman one day and we got to talking. I was in my 20s and he gave me this same advice, enjoy living when you are young. Sure pay your bills and try to save some, but don't deny yourself what you really want. He explained to me how he had been a saver and constantly denied himself pleasures as he didn't want to be too indulgent and wasteful. Now as an old man he regretted not doing the things he wanted, not having that nice meal and a bottle of wine with good frieds. Why? Because he had money now, but he was too old to really enjoy what he wanted. Friends were dead or gone, had all kinds of money, but few things he really could enjoy at that age. Enjoy your 650s and don't feel bad, life is a one shot deal my friend, and when you are young your hearing is at its finest.

I really do love that too. Senior year in high school will be really fun this year I think. 
k701smile.gif

My audio obsession is complete for now.. now to focus on other hobbies. I'm really going to try to make the most out of the next few years as I've wasted a lot of my high school years tbh.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6,483 of 13,350
I hope this the Schiit fan section, I'm a believer.

To get back to the Wyrd, I think it has 2 applications: 

- The first one is to solve any USB audio issues if you happen to suffer from them. 

- The second one is to power DACs that do not have a decent power supply themselves.

Audio equipment really does need a good power supply. You first have to line up those electrons before you can effortlessly modulate them to the music. The AudioQuest DragonFly for example to my opinion is a DAC with potential, but it feeds from whatever the PC can spare. Unless you connect it through a Wyrd of course.

Recently I paired the Wyrd and the DragonFly and I believe I heard the following improvements: Cleaner sound with more separation in the finer details. Increased fluidity and a wider sound stage. More definition and punch in the low frequencies.

BTW about the taxing when ordered from the USA. In The Netherlands you even have to pay VAT over the US shipping costs. And also over the US VAT come to think of it. schiit-europe.com does not sell the Valhalla 2 nor the Wyrd, so there is not much choice other then to pay.

Nice to hear about your experience with the Wyrd, it mirrors mine, it moves the Modi up the performance food chain. Look forward to hearing about the Wyrd and other DAC's!

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #6,485 of 13,350
Really ...why spend as much on the usb hub as the damn dac, I could see if you had some 500 dollar dac or something but for the Modi that would be pointless, honestly even with one of the highest end setups that thing is way overpriced, it should be $50 tops.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #6,486 of 13,350
Really ...why spend as much on the usb hub as the damn dac, I could see if you had some 500 dollar dac or something but for the Modi that would be pointless, honestly even with one of the highest end setups that thing is way overpriced, it should be $50 tops.
I think the problem is that there's still a solid chunk of change tied up in the chassis, and they're using this particular chassis because they've already been using it for Magni and Modi (and Vali and Sys). From there, there are still several components on the Wyrd board, which means some complexity in the PCB and raw component costs.

Point being that I don't think they can sell if for less than $99. If that seems overpriced, then don't get one. They aren't claiming that it will work miracles anyway.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #6,488 of 13,350
Aug 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,489 of 13,350
I think the problem is that there's still a solid chunk of change tied up in the chassis, and they're using this particular chassis because they've already been using it for Magni and Modi (and Vali and Sys). From there, there are still several components on the Wyrd board, which means some complexity in the PCB and raw component costs.

Point being that I don't think they can sell if for less than $99. If that seems overpriced, then don't get one. They aren't claiming that it will work miracles anyway.

Guess that's reasonable but I mean the Sys uses same chassis, but one can argue this is a passive unit, but maybe idk like $75, Idk $99 just seems like a really bad price point, but if people are willing to pay for it at that price then they got business.  I am glad that they don't claim it enhances sound.  It's good that Schiit isn't making dumb claims like a lot of companies are.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #6,491 of 13,350
I love Jason and Schiit. But keep in mind that this guy is a genius of marketting. (Advertising generally tries to make us laugh).
And I am especially appreciative regarding the Wyrd. The description is a way to please both subjectivist and objectivist camp. The famous "Some say there is an improvement" / "but we remains Swiss about it." Very talented because everyone can read what he wants.
The first part makes me want to try it, it will appeal to subjectivism. The second part is reassuring about the fact that they are not esoteric charlatans. These are serious people, which will appeal to objectivist.
In a sense, the two arguments are mutually reinforcing (whereas it's a bit like theory of general relativity and quantum, difficult to reconcile.)
Just my 2 cents. Long live to Shiit anyway ! Continue to make us so great products.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #6,492 of 13,350
Aug 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #6,495 of 13,350
Audio  Nirvana = Confirmed

I have a feeling this is going to be my end game for a long while.

How are you liking that Wyrd, beautiful Schiit Stack:poop:!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back