Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #6,076 of 13,350
  How does an ESP power cable actually improve the workings of a Lyr? Certainly it can be more durable and have a nicer appearance.

I don't understand the purpose of $1,000 power cables, except appearance and durability, so I too am curious...

I just took a peek at their website, the Music Cord (power cord) that I saw goes for $150 USD. Their claims seem very far reaching, IMO outrageous,see below.
  1. Compressed Dynamic Range
  2. Thin, One-Dimensional Tone
  3. Attenuated Bass Response
  4. Hiss, Buzz and Noisy Backgrounds
​IMO all ridiculous except possibly some rare case of buzz or noise, however, it'll usually take more than a shielded power cord to eradicate interference.
They have more claims on their page, I just can't believe any of it. If anyone really wants to buy this stuff or believe the claims, I'm not stopping them.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #6,079 of 13,350
Notice my signature? "[COLOR=6A6A6A]When it comes to listening, the human imagination is more powerful than reality.[/COLOR]"

Truer words were never spoken.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #6,080 of 13,350
  Notice my signature? "When it comes to listening, the human imagination is more powerful than reality."

when it comes to *anything*, the human imagination is more powerful.
yet a blanket statement doesn't decide any debate, subjective or objective.

back on topic:
to anyone with a GeekOut and a Wyrd-
my GO450 direct into macbook pro has TOTAL black background from what I can hear with IEMs and HP50.
soundstage is very "up front/front row".

doubting Wyrd has any benefit since Wyrd doesn't have any memory buffer for those occasional "CPU is busy, less than 1sec usb transfer drop outs".
happy to be proven wrong tho if others have experience with Wyrd in their chain.

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #6,081 of 13,350
I believe it is just reclocking the USB signal, I'm fairly certain it doesn't incorporate any buffer, which admittedly would be good for a lot of systems with issues like that.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #6,082 of 13,350
  Notice my signature? "When it comes to listening, the human imagination is more powerful than reality."

This is true for many things other than listening.

I will avoid producing a list, mainly because I like my membership
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #6,083 of 13,350
As far as memory buffers and fancy clocking, I think the Wyrd's intended purpose was isolation as to prevent ground loops and related noise and not much else.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #6,084 of 13,350
People that are interested in the Wyrd (or not) should maybe read the FAQ on the Schiit website. I think it's pretty straight forward at explaining what it does and doesn't do.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #6,085 of 13,350
To StanD- here are the words strait from the horses mouths at Schiit. 

So, what the heck is this little thing? Well, it’s either the world’s most expensive and limited USB hub, or it’s the key to eliminating sticky USB audio problems. Simply put, it cleans up your USB connection, eliminating noise and glitches caused by crappy USB power or USB port power management. 
The Cure for Noise and Glitches
Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.)

I use an Imac to run my sound and to me I did hear more resolution and clarity as well as a narrowed soundfield which, to me, is an acceptable trade off.  

As far as my preference to upgrade my power cables it works like this- I live in an apartment that the voltage and amps change alot and i want to protect my gear as much as possible so I run extra insulated power cables, power conditioner and voltage ups unit to manage the voltage.  All of the above will improve the noise floor to near silent.  even running a tube amp like the Lyr.

Now RCA cables and upgraded USB cables are a completely different animal. I highly recommend buying USB and RCA cables through monoprice.com.  The cables are very inexpensive and high build quality.  I choose to buy custom cables because Im after a certain tone quality and RCA cables will affect timbre and tone greatly.   

On Last comment- I am a Berklee trained musician with relative pitch- my ears are very very sensitive.  Most people cannot hear the changes I notice- its a blessing and a curse.    Please continue to question everything in the audiophile world..There is ALOT!! of smoky mirror products and too many people have snake oil to sell you.  It is very addicting to be an audiophile but the fundamental question we must ask is "how perfect does my sound system need to be."

Happy hunting   

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #6,087 of 13,350
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #6,088 of 13,350
Jul 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,090 of 13,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back