Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,777 of 13,350
  Yeah, got my answer - its in the Schiit site FAQ. Basically I need a powered USB hub between the Mac and the Dac. Similar problem arise with Windows 8 PCs as well so its not a Mac thing exclusively but still...

Actually my windows Laptop/ PC's can go directly to my Schiit Bifrost, it's my smartphone and iPod Touch 5G that require the USB Hub. The Laptop/PC can supply the necessary current via USB but it's my portable devices that cannot.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,780 of 13,350
Actually my windows Laptop/ PC's can go directly to my Schiit Bifrost, it's my smartphone and iPod Touch 5G that require the USB Hub. The Laptop/PC can supply the necessary current via USB but it's my portable devices that cannot.

Can you show me a link to a suitable powered Usb hub? I'm confused with so many options out there..

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5,781 of 13,350
Gear Head USB 2.0 4-Port Hub with Energy Saving Switch (AC Powered) (RoHS) (UH5500ESP)

Oops that's not the actual link, but paste that description into Amazon and you'll have it. $13.

Also, look at schiit's website, FAQ section, "troubleshooting" for USB and dac's.

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #5,782 of 13,350
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,783 of 13,350
Are the Mjolnir pre-outs supposed to automatically switch off when I plug in my headphones, as the Asgard does? Not an issue either way, but wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I could be, but that'd be for a different forum, I suppose :)

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,787 of 13,350
Glad to report back that with the external powered hub in place, the Modi gets connected : ) Finally some tunes whilst I audition the Audirvana software during its free trial period. Sounds pretty good. I must say even Spotify+ sounds better thru the Mac Air..

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,788 of 13,350
  Glad to report back that with the external powered hub in place, the Modi gets connected : ) Finally some tunes whilst I audition the Audirvana software during its free trial period. Sounds pretty good. I must say even Spotify+ sounds better thru the Mac Air..

Looks like we can chalk up one more in the win column. Listen some more and let us know how you feel.
popcorn.gif
 we're waiting.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #5,790 of 13,350
  Are the Mjolnir pre-outs supposed to automatically switch off when I plug in my headphones, as the Asgard does? Not an issue either way, but wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I could be, but that'd be for a different forum, I suppose :)

If they don't shut off, the Mjolnir might be from before they started doing that on the amps. The original Lyr didn't shut them off, the Asgard 2 was the first to shut them off, and the Lyr 2 now also shuts them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back