Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #5,746 of 13,350

I see that it's using the same USB chip, but probably different firmware (USB Audio 1.0, hence no driver required).

Yep the Bifrost and Gungnir seem to run USB Audio 2 which the standard Windoze drivers are incapable of dealing with or scaling back. A mere iPod Touch 5G, as is, can deal with my Bifrost without having to do anything special. I'm really liking my Bifrost.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,748 of 13,350
I believe the drivers are needed when going above 96khz, and the Modi does not, so no drivers required (Class 1 Audio which is a subset of usB 1.1)

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #5,749 of 13,350
  I believe the drivers are needed when going above 96khz, and the Modi does not, so no drivers required (Class 1 Audio which is a subset of usB 1.1)

Yeah, even while using the same chip, they've saved the higher end USB spec for more expensive models.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5,750 of 13,350

Yeah, even while using the same chip, they've saved the higher end USB spec for more expensive models.

They've made it pretty clear that they did that to cut down on support issues, which would increase their expense (and they would then have to raise the Modi's cost), not through any sort of ill will or intentional crippling.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,751 of 13,350
  They've made it pretty clear that they did that to cut down on support issues, which would increase their expense (and they would then have to raise the Modi's cost), not through any sort of ill will or intentional crippling.

Yeah, I was just stating a fact.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5,752 of 13,350

Yeah, I was just stating a fact.

Yup, no ill will intended, I was just clarifying before people misunderstood 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,753 of 13,350
Can anyone help a new Mac Air user here? Been trying to plug in my Modi to the Air but it just can't detect the Modi through either of the two USB ports. Am using an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable. It works fine with my Acer laptop though. 

Help, please!

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5,754 of 13,350
Can anyone help a new Mac Air user here? Been trying to plug in my Modi to the Air but it just can't detect the Modi through either of the two USB ports. Am using an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable. It works fine with my Acer laptop though. 

Help, please!

Did you go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu and click on the Sound icon? It will open out to a window which should give 2 choices: internal speakers and Schitt USB device (or similar). You choose the latter.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #5,755 of 13,350
Did you go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu and click on the Sound icon? It will open out to a window which should give 2 choices: internal speakers and Schitt USB device (or similar). You choose the latter.

Yes i did, it only showed internal speakers. I tried again with a Supra USB cable and there was intermittent connection but it could never lock on. Am really flabbergasted and getting really frustrated with the MBA! Is this an issue with the USB port or Mac Airs in general? I really thought something as expensive as a Mac should not have such issues...

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #5,756 of 13,350
  Yes i did, it only showed internal speakers. I tried again with a Supra USB cable and there was intermittent connection but it could never lock on. Am really flabbergasted and getting really frustrated with the MBA! Is this an issue with the USB port or Mac Airs in general? I really thought something as expensive as a Mac should not have such issues...

I've found Apples USB support in general to be pretty crappy.  Rebooting the machine tends to fix it for me until I sleep next.  (same behavior on mid 2013 MBA and a late 2013 15" MBP..)

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,757 of 13,350

I use the MBA only. I've had no problems except a USB port that I recently changed. Does the USB cable fit firmly in the MBA i.e. It is not loose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back