Schiit Owners Unite
May 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,221 of 13,350
I would have been very disappointed in his case also !!

If he liked the combo he should be very frustrated

Nice reaction from Schiit

May 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,222 of 13,350
Without him clarifying whether or not this was his first amp, etc, who knows if the damn amp was 'defected' or whatever. More to the point, if the amp was a dud, that's tough. We've all sadly dealt with these things and
it sounds like Schiit provided support the best to their ability. Even more, sounds like dude is just bitching
to get Schiit in public and put up the refund, which is totally stupid. Living in a place where you constantly
deal with import tax, etc, you should have known better and taken the proper steps to insure you got your 'full' refund.

May 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #5,223 of 13,350
What happened to TranceDude's Lyr review? I thought it was a fair review.
Most likely Schiit took care of him and he deleted it.

I wish I could have found out why my Asgard 2 sounded so "off". Gave up trying. Maybe it's not apartment compatible. Tons of wireless crap in the area.

Sometime I will try a Lyr through a distributor with no restocking fees. There is one just an hour away.

May 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5,224 of 13,350
"Hey, this Bifrost I got clicks! What’s up with that?
It’s just the muting relay, operating normally. We chose a relay rather than relying on the D/A chip’s soft mute, since it’s safer and less sonically invasive. You'll thank us when you accidentally send some Dolby Digital content down the line and your speakers don't explode because of full-scale noise on the output."

I am using the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 analog RCA output straight to the Valhalla.  I am listening to DTS-MA, DTS and DD all downmixed to stereo "surround encoded".  It all plays without a hitch.  If I hooked the Panasonic via toslink to the Bifrost would I get sound from all the aforementioned formats? 

May 5, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #5,225 of 13,350
  I am using the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 analog RCA output straight to the Valhalla.  I am listening to DTS-MA, DTS and DD all downmixed to stereo "surround encoded".  It all plays without a hitch.  If I hooked the Panasonic via toslink to the Bifrost would I get sound from all the aforementioned formats? 

No.  Bifrost is PCM only AFAIK.  [So only two-channel stereo]

Oops.  I should have thought a little more before the terse reply. Check you manual and see if the Panasonic will output those formats via toslink.  It might be possible if your media is DVD-A or just plain old DVD (look for stereo mix tracks), but Blu-Ray . . . not likely.  Specifically, I'm pretty sure it won't do S/PDIF out for DTS-MA, kinda sure it won't do DTS and don't have a clue regarding DD.  Misguided assumptions regarding piracy typically forces stuff like DTS-MA to output digital via HDMI only (so HDCP can be in play).  At least this has been my experience with my OPPO BDP-95.

May 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #5,227 of 13,350
No.  Bifrost is PCM only AFAIK.  [So only two-channel stereo]

Oops.  I should have thought a little more before the terse reply. Check you manual and see if the Panasonic will output those formats via toslink.  It might be possible if your media is DVD-A or just plain old DVD (look for stereo mix tracks), but Blu-Ray . . . not likely.  Specifically, I'm pretty sure it won't do S/PDIF out for DTS-MA, kinda sure it won't do DTS and don't have a clue regarding DD.  Misguided assumptions regarding piracy typically forces stuff like DTS-MA to output digital via HDMI only (so HDCP can be in play).  At least this has been my experience with my OPPO BDP-95.

OK. Maybe if I set the BD player to down convert dtsma and true HD to DTS and DD. I also can set the output to PCM so the player decodes it. I just don't want to drop the money and not be able to watch movies. I don't expect to get surround sound but stereo/something.

May 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #5,228 of 13,350
Aside from the Yggdrasil, what do you guys think the chances are of Schiit releasing a new DAC this year? Jason has hinted at a few new products coming out this year, unless I'm misinterpreting him.

May 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5,229 of 13,350
Aside from the Yggdrasil, what do you guys think the chances are of Schiit releasing a new DAC this year? Jason has hinted at a few new products coming out this year, unless I'm misinterpreting him.

How about the Optical Modi and the Passive Switch? Do they fit the bill? They are a small company so I wouldn't expect a large number of products to hit the pavement so soon.

May 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5,230 of 13,350
How about the Optical Modi and the Passive Switch? Do they fit the bill?

Yeah, I'm aware of those but I'm thinking more along the lines of a Gungnir 2 or something. It seems like the Bifrost has inched pretty close in performance so I was thinking they might incorporate some of the new Yggdrasil tech into the Gungnir (a la Gungnir tech into Bifrost).

Just speculating/daydreaming. Looking to pick up the Gungnir soon and didn't want to kick myself for not waiting.

May 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5,231 of 13,350
Last week, I saw a blog that indicated the folk art schiit were coming up with a lyr V2, which should be out at the end of this month. I do not know if this is true or not. Hope it is for I am planning on getting a lyr for my beyerdynamic dt 880/ 600 ohm headphones.

May 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #5,232 of 13,350
Jason has said that the tech used in Yggdrasil doesn't lend itself to scaling down, so don't expect a Yggy-lite Gungnir 2.

May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #5,233 of 13,350
Yeah, I'm aware of those but I'm thinking more along the lines of a Gungnir 2 or something. It seems like the Bifrost has inched pretty close in performance so I was thinking they might incorporate some of the new Yggdrasil tech into the Gungnir (a la Gungnir tech into Bifrost).

Just speculating/daydreaming. Looking to pick up the Gungnir soon and didn't want to kick myself for not waiting.

Aha, an personal motive 
biggrin.gif
 Yes I hate it when a newer improved model comes out just after I bought something. They're still working on their two superduper over $1K products so I'd be surprised if they managed to squeeze out anything else this soon.

May 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5,235 of 13,350
Both Bifrost and Gungnir are upgradable, so I doubt that they would introduce another DAC platform. Any refresh can go straight through the upgrade card approach.

You can have more amps in the lineup(/history) since you have solid state, tube, and hybrid options, and adding functionality can make for a good product refresh (Asgard 2 is an example).

Personally, I'd like to see them release a tube amp brother for Mjolnir for balanced headphones.

EDIT: Okay, maybe they could release a DAC that uses tubes. I hadn't thought about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back