Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4,921 of 13,350
  I would love it if Schiit made a phono pre with MM/MC compatibility. I would pay upwords of $250-$300 for that

Yes that would be an awesome product to add to the lineup. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #4,924 of 13,350

Mjolnir+audeze= very nice

Mjolnir +hd800= not as nice

Gungnir is well regarded no matter what though, as far as I've read, I do t personally have one

What about Lyr and HD800?

If you already own the Lyr then it will serve as a decent stop-gap amp for the HD800 until you upgrade. Be prepared to tube roll though.

If you don't have the Lyr then the more affordable Vali is the better option. It's a more refined and transparent amp for the HD800. Bonus that it's cheaper, with no added tube rolling expense - meaning more money towards better upstream gear, or money saved for that uber amp down the track.

As for the post you're replying to - yes, the Gungnir/MJ stack is indeed great for the Audez'e, but the MJ is no slouch for the HD800 either. In that rig you'll just need to look beyond the Gungnir for the source component. It is not a good match for the HD800 and I'm certainly not the only person to express this. The Gungnir is not "well regarded no matter what". It boils down to synergy and preference, and the Gungnir/HD800 mix is an acquired taste IME.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,925 of 13,350

If you already own the Lyr then it will serve as a decent stop-gap amp for the HD800 until you upgrade. Be prepared to tube roll though.

If you don't have the Lyr then the more affordable Vali is the better option. It's a more refined and transparent amp for the HD800. Bonus that it's cheaper, with no added tube rolling expense - meaning more money towards better upstream gear, or money saved for that uber amp down the track.

As for the post you're replying to - yes, the Gungnir/MJ stack is indeed great for the Audez'e, but the MJ is no slouch for the HD800 either. In that rig you'll just need to look beyond the Gungnir for the source component. It is not a good match for the HD800 and I'm certainly not the only person to express this. The Gungnir is not "well regarded no matter what". It boils down to synergy and preference, and the Gungnir/HD800 mix is an acquired taste IME.

Yea, searching round the forum and seeing this kind of response was what stopped me from goin to the HD800... cause I really didn't want to spend on such a premium can only to have to change up my Mojo/Gungnir stack (my wallet thanks me).

Unfortunately (or fortunately?
tongue.gif
), in the process of that research I read ravings bout my rig with LCDs... so now... here I am... (wallet shrugs in defeat, but relieved to know it coulda been worse)

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4,926 of 13,350

I am currently using a pair of HD800 with the Lyr (and Bifrost), and I will say that with the stock Lyr tubes (GE 6BZ7), the treble is a little overemphasized, and the mid and bass are a little weak. Everything else with this combo is great.

With a set of Voskhod 6N23P, however, all I can say is holy @#$*)$#@($!!! :D The Voskhods really bring out the mids and bass from the music, and it also tames the treble overemphasis without losing any detail. I am really enjoying this combo (Bifrost + Lyr + Voskhod 6N23P + HD800) right now. It is like having an eargasm every time I listen to it. :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #4,927 of 13,350
I am currently using a pair of HD800 with the Lyr (and Bifrost), and I will say that with the stock Lyr tubes (GE 6BZ7), the treble is a little overemphasized, and the mid and bass are a little weak. Everything else with this combo is great.

With a set of Voskhod 6N23P, however, all I can say is holy @#$*)$#@($!!!
biggrin.gif
The Voskhods really bring out the mids and bass from the music, and it also tames the treble overemphasis without losing any detail. I am really enjoying this combo (Bifrost + Lyr + Voskhod 6N23P + HD800) right now. It is like having an eargasm every time I listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

This pretty much sums up my experience.  The Voskhod 6N23Ps are indeed @#$*)$#@($!!!

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,928 of 13,350

biggrin.gif
The Voskhods really bring out the mids and bass from the music, and it also tames the treble overemphasis without losing any detail. I am really enjoying this combo (Bifrost + Lyr + Voskhod 6N23P + HD800) right now. It is like having an eargasm every time I listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good to hear that somebody found the synergy between Lyr & HD800.  I will order the Lyr asap.
If I remember correctly, there's an option for Ly upgrade tube, and it's not on their website atm. What's up with it, and is the upgrade tube same with Voskhod 6N23P?

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #4,929 of 13,350

biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Curious if you've heard the HD800 with anything other than the Lyr. The Lyr is a wonderful amp for the LCD-2 in the way it grips that headphone and conveys an engaging and full bodied presentation. Unfortunately detail retrieval isn't a strength and the HD800 is stifled irrespective of tube choice. For me the best Lyr tubes for resolution were the fabled Lorenz Stuttgarts. I just found them less dynamic than other tubes I had on hand at the time. 60's Amperex Bugle Boys struck the best balance. I had some cryo-treated 6N23P's that were ok. Can't recall what they were exactly though.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,930 of 13,350

I was running the HD800s with a Lyr and an Audiolab M-DAC and upgraded to the Gungnir despite some warnings from wise people about the alleged no-go between the HD800s and the Gungnir, particularly when paired with the Mjolnir. Well, the Gungnir does wonders for the Lyr, but the result with the HD800, howsoever rolled the Lyr may be, is wondrously clear but a little sterile. My first amp, however, a Lehmann clone from China, is completely transformed by the Gungnir, so I am trying to arrange to audition Herr Lehmann's finest somewhere.

I am not threadbending here! There is some justification to the caution of the wise concerning the Gungnir/HD800 synergy, but the Gungnir is a fantastic product and the Gungnir/Lyr is great for my other headphones, particularly the HD650s. Let's face it, all headphones are tricky to an extent, and we will all end up with more than one amp as we continue to tweak our way to sonic...er... Valhalla.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #4,931 of 13,350

I was running the HD800s with a Lyr and an Audiolab M-DAC and upgraded to the Gungnir despite some warnings from wise people about the alleged no-go between the HD800s and the Gungnir, particularly when paired with the Mjolnir. Well, the Gungnir does wonders for the Lyr, but the result with the HD800, howsoever rolled the Lyr may be, is wondrously clear but a little sterile. My first amp, however, a Lehmann clone from China, is completely transformed by the Gungnir, so I am trying to arrange to audition Herr Lehmann's finest somewhere.

I am not threadbending here! There is some justification to the caution of the wise concerning the Gungnir/HD800 synergy, but the Gungnir is a fantastic product and the Gungnir/Lyr is great for my other headphones, particularly the HD650s. Let's face it, all headphones are tricky to an extent, and we will all end up with more than one amp as we continue to tweak our way to sonic...er... Valhalla.

That's because the Lyr reigns in the Gungnir's obnoxious and shouty quality. Some people really dig that energy but for me the Gungnir lacked deftness when called for. The Gungnir is described as dynamic when it's actually compressed in that sense. It's just tilted towards "loud" and people confuse that as dynamics. This zest is what makes it a great component for the LCD-2 though. For the HD800 it's unbridled fatigue. The Gungnir is like the hyper active kid bordering on a sugar over-dose.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #4,932 of 13,350

That's because the Lyr reigns in the Gungnir's obnoxious and shouty quality. Some people really dig that energy but for me the Gungnir lacked deftness when called for. The Gungnir is described as dynamic when it's actually compressed in that sense. It's just tilted towards "loud" and people confuse that as dynamics. This zest is what makes it a great component for the LCD-2 though. For the HD800 it's unbridled fatigue. The Gungnir is like the hyper active kid bordering on a sugar over-dose.

Of course most of us disagree with you.......so its really your opinion that the Mojo sounds they way it does to your ears. And yes it our opinion too.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #4,933 of 13,350

Of course most of us disagree with you.......so its really your opinion that the Mojo sounds they way it does to your ears. And yes it our opinion too.

LOL. I'm talking about the Gungnir bud - and specifically about its application as an HD800 DAC.

I actually rate the MJ as a fine amp for the HD800. I find it telling that people who dismiss the MJ as a good amp for the HD800 (particularly for the price) mention it in the same breath as the Gungnir. As if the two are inseparable. A lot of assumptions are made about the MJ IMO.

If you did mean the Gungnir - well, I'm hardly a lone voice in expressing this opinion. Again, this is specifically for the HD800. I know of many experienced HD800 owners who've come to the same conclusion.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #4,935 of 13,350

LOL. I'm talking about the Gungnir bud - and specifically about its application as an HD800 DAC.

I actually rate the MJ as a fine amp for the HD800. I find it telling that people who dismiss the MJ as a good amp for the HD800 (particularly for the price) mention it in the same breath as the Gungnir. As if the two are inseparable. A lot of assumptions are made about the MJ IMO.

If you did mean the Gungnir - well, I'm hardly a lone voice in expressing this opinion. Again, this is specifically for the HD800. I know of many experienced HD800 owners who've come to the same conclusion.

What DAC did/do you find when paired with the Mojo does the HD800 ample justice ? I ask since I currently own all 3 - the Gungnir, the Mojo and the 800.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back