Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,906 of 13,350
Mar 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #4,907 of 13,350
  Yep, SYS is a new little two-input passive preamp. We never tried it backwards, which is why Nick is very confused.

Speculation: it'll probably work as a switch with the volume turned all the way up. We don't know how the volume control will work, though.

Used backwards, chances are that with the volume down all the way one might be close to applying a short to ground on what ever is plugged into the unswiitched jacks. This is if a conventional attenuator circuit is employed.. As you turn up the volume control the load on this input goes up to the max resistance of the volume pot in parrallel with whatever's impedance is switched into play. It will certainly not act like a proper volume control. I doubt that you guys ever intended for anyone to get their Schiit backwards,.

I loled

Hey man, this is no laughing matter, ths is some serious Schiit. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,908 of 13,350
Hey man, this is no laughing matter, ths is some serious Schiit. :wink_face:

My appologies, I gotta get my Schiit together... :p

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4,910 of 13,350
  I want to upgrade my system from O2/ODAC to Schiit stuffs (ubber Biofrost & Lyr). However, I dont see lot of people recomend it with flagship headphones (HD800 & Audeze phones) Same does for the Mjolnir and Gungnir 
Do you guy recommend me this combo to pair with LCD 2 and Alpha Dog? I am searching for a mid-fi all around amp ($400-$900 range) that will do the job decently with many headphones (I dont count HE-6 or K1000). My target is the Headamp GS-X, I have heard nothing but good about them.

I don't see why you wouldn't use the Bifrost and Lyr for the flagships. They are pretty hard to beat at that price. Besides, the Lyr was designed for orthos. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4,911 of 13,350
Mar 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #4,912 of 13,350
Used backwards, chances are that with the volume down all the way one might be close to applying a short to ground on what ever is plugged into the unswiitched jacks. This is if a conventional attenuator circuit is employed.. As you turn up the volume control the load on this input goes up to the max resistance of the volume pot in parrallel with whatever's impedance is switched into play. It will certainly not act like a proper volume control. I doubt that you guys ever intended for anyone to get their Schiit backwards,.

Seems like there might be a market for a 2nd model--one wired in reverse for switching between two outputs.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #4,914 of 13,350
Seems like there might be a market for a 2nd model--one wired in reverse for switching between two outputs.

Words are tricky, The current product is intended for switching between two outputs (sources) to one input (amp).
You probably meant to switch one output to two different inputs (distribution). Unless you need an attenuator or a means of muting one path, you could use Y cables. If this was to have two attenuators, that would be nice.
Being minimalist, Schiit probably decided that if things were at a proper line level, multiple attenuators to balance levels would be unnecessary. Unfortunatley Schiit doesn't always work out so to be so clean.
OK, let's have a product meeting, where's Jason? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4,915 of 13,350
   I doubt that you guys ever intended for anyone to get their Schiit backwards,.

Sorry.. I couldn't resist.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,916 of 13,350

Sorry.. I couldn't resist.

Speaking of which, how's the antibiotics working out for you? Two weeks ago I spent four days on an IV, amongst the bags were two different antibiotics. I am probably still impervious to Anthrax. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #4,917 of 13,350
  Speaking of which, how's the antibiotics working out for you? Two weeks ago I spent four days on an IV, amongst the bags were two different antibiotics. I am probably still impervious to Anthrax. 
biggrin.gif

There's a progress, but I don't feel I'm 100% "there" yet. Still can't get the level of comfort/non-fatiguing experience from the music listening I used to years ago.
That's why I'm going to see an audiologist to check my hearing too.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,918 of 13,350
I want to upgrade my system from O2/ODAC to Schiit stuffs (ubber Biofrost & Lyr). However, I dont see lot of people recomend it with flagship headphones (HD800 & Audeze phones) Same does for the Mjolnir and Gungnir 
Do you guy recommend me this combo to pair with LCD 2 and Alpha Dog? I am searching for a mid-fi all around amp ($400-$900 range) that will do the job decently with many headphones (I dont count HE-6 or K1000). My target is the Headamp GS-X, I have heard nothing but good about them.

Mjolnir+audeze= very nice

Mjolnir +hd800= not as nice

Gungnir is well regarded no matter what though, as far as I've read, I do t personally have one

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #4,919 of 13,350
Words are tricky, The current product is intended for switching between two outputs (sources) to one input (amp).
You probably meant to switch one output to two different inputs (distribution). Unless you need an attenuator or a means of muting one path, you could use Y cables. If this was to have two attenuators, that would be nice.
Being minimalist, Schiit probably decided that if things were at a proper line level, multiple attenuators to balance levels would be unnecessary. Unfortunatley Schiit doesn't always work out so to be so clean.
OK, let's have a product meeting, where's Jason? :D  

Actually, I was using the terminology on the SYS Preamp. Right now it has two input plugs and one output. But you are right. It is confusing depending on how you talk about it :)

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4,920 of 13,350
I would love it if Schiit made a phono pre with MM/MC compatibility. I would pay upwords of $250-$300 for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back