Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 7, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #4,787 of 13,350
  So... a little off-topic perhaps, but after living with my Lyr and "Uberfrost" for a couple of weeks (coupled with the HE-500's), I have one (and only one) request from Jason and Mike:

Could you please, please, please put power buttons on the front?

Otherwise, what a fantastic little desktop setup I've got going here!  Anyone with me?

+1

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4,789 of 13,350
+1

DAC switch stays on 24x7 anyhow for me,
Turning amp on / off a couple times a day is no hassle.
Switches in back leave front panel sleak and stylish.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,790 of 13,350
Mar 8, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,791 of 13,350
Switches on the back are done that way for a reason. Having power lines running through your chassis is a good way to get bad sound. I've always wondered why they didn't try some sort of cantilever type mechanism that had front push button with a beam through the chassis to push a button at the back near the power supply. This solves both issues, but does introduce complexity. Other designers have used similar methods for volume control so that internal board layout could be superior, while still having a proper volume knob.

500x1000px-LL-f034c6ad_hdvd800pcb.png

I had hoped to see this solution be part of the premium paid for Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, but it appears not. I can understand not having this for the lower priced models, though.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #4,792 of 13,350
  So... a little off-topic perhaps, but after living with my Lyr and "Uberfrost" for a couple of weeks (coupled with the HE-500's), I have one (and only one) request from Jason and Mike:

Could you please, please, please put power buttons on the front?

Otherwise, what a fantastic little desktop setup I've got going here!  Anyone with me?

What, you mean you turn yours off?
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,794 of 13,350

What, you mean you turn yours off?
tongue_smile.gif

Heh heh... well, I wouldn't want the tubes to burn out too quickly, now would I? :)

To those who've said they don't mind the power switch in back (or that electronically it's more sound), thanks for the feedback.  Luckily I'm not housing my Lyr/Bifrost combo in a cabinet, so I can easily flip the switches on back.  But if I ever decided to hide the Lyr behind my computer monitor it would be a pain to get to the back of the unit to turn it on.  That's the main reason I made the suggestion.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #4,795 of 13,350

Heh heh... well, I wouldn't want the tubes to burn out too quickly, now would I? :)

You don't?? 
confused_face(1).gif

To be fair though, the weather here is pretty hot, so I like to turn off my electronics when they aren't in use. 

Well, that was really a remark that implied, Schiit is so good, I never turn it off.
wink.gif

Ok, so I'm not so good with humor.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #4,796 of 13,350
The
...and I'm wondering the same thing about the forth-coming Schiit ~$1,500 Yggdrasil.  Will the improvement in sound be worth the $$$ to upgrade from my "Überfrost".  ....or will the benefits of a better DAC only be realized by upgrading everything else "down-stream" of the DAC.  

The Yggi is going to be closer to $1900, I'm afraid.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #4,799 of 13,350
Question, do you hear the noise floor on the Lyr with LCD-2's?

I don't hear any noise with my HD800.  

The T5p is noisy with cheap tubes and dead quiet with my good tubes.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #4,800 of 13,350
Question, do you hear the noise floor on the Lyr with LCD-2's?

I had that combo for a couple years and it wasn't noisey unless paired with unusually noises tubes

I don't hear any noise with my HD800.  

The T5p is noisy with cheap tubes and dead quiet with my good tubes.

i can second the results given here, never noticed and noise with grado's either, unless it was the tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back