Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #4,471 of 13,350
Can't believe how much more bass this thing puts through my HD600s... listening some psy-trance now and my head's gonna blow.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4,472 of 13,350
And dang that pig is hot.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,473 of 13,350
Question - do you keep your Schiit on all the time or turn off at night?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #4,475 of 13,350
  Question - do you keep your Schiit on all the time or turn off at night?

I'm not afraid to keep my DAC on, but do turn it off when I remember. The same goes with any solid-state amps I have. For my tube-powered Lyr, I absolutely turn that off all the time simply because tubes can get expensive if they are only going to last you six months.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,476 of 13,350
Sweet Jesus, use the edit command don't just add more posts. Double post is bad enough but that makes me want to beat you like this horse.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,477 of 13,350
  Sweet Jesus, use the edit command don't just add more posts. Double post is bad enough but that makes me want to beat you like this horse.
deadhorse.gif

Sorry, I got overly excited. And kinda used to forums which auto-append...

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #4,478 of 13,350
I always turned my amp off when I was using a tube amp, but at least for now my Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack stays on all the time. That will probably change in the summer. I start turning everything off when I'm not going to be home no matter what because I don't have air conditioning :|

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #4,479 of 13,350
  I always turned my amp off when I was using a tube amp, but at least for now my Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack stays on all the time. That will probably change in the summer. I start turning everything off when I'm not going to be home no matter what because I don't have air conditioning :|

Funny is that I had my X-CAN V3 constantly ON for over a decade without any noticeable tubes degradation.. they were in the gain stage (low current), though, so much less stress. My father (EE) told me that generally tubes would rather stay on all the time (and very long time) than having their power cycled regularly. It depends on the particular circuit/usage, I guess..

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #4,480 of 13,350

Funny is that I had my X-CAN V3 constantly ON for over a decade without any noticeable tubes degradation.. they were in the gain stage (low current), though, so much less stress. My father (EE) told me that generally tubes would rather stay on all the time (and very long time) than having their power cycled regularly. It depends on the particular circuit/usage, I guess..

Perhaps the reason you have reported your X-Can lacks bass and has grainy and shrilly treble is because the tubes have worn out.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #4,481 of 13,350

Perhaps the reason you have reported your X-Can lacks bass and has grainy and shrilly treble is because the tubes have worn out.

I have replaced the tubes with Russian NOS couple months ago. It didn't change much, so it must be something else.
Or maybe I have a developing tinnitus. I've noticed I'm also listening at a much lower volume levels than I used to...
Maybe it's time for a hearing check.

Schiit is producing much better, fuller, more satisfying sound, but it's still a bit too forward for my ears. It wasn't like that years ago, when I had no problems listening from whatever, including CD headphone jack. For some reason I've become much more sensitive to higher frequencies, can't really blame the hardware.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4,482 of 13,350

I have replaced the tubes with Russian NOS couple months ago. It didn't change much, so it must be something else.
Or maybe I have a developing tinnitus. I've noticed I'm also listening at a much lower volume levels than I used to...
Maybe it's time for a hearing check.

Schiit is producing much better, fuller, more satisfying sound, but it's still a bit too forward for my ears. It wasn't like that years ago, when I had no problems listening from whatever, including CD headphone jack. For some reason I've become much more sensitive to higher frequencies, can't really blame the hardware.

Usually we lose treble response as we get older. You have a built in EQ that we don't know about?

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #4,483 of 13,350
  Usually we lose treble response as we get older. You have a built in EQ that we don't know about?

For many years I've been listening through old Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC... I have a feeling now that it had slightly rolled off highs and I've got so used to them..
Unfortunately it's long gone and I can't compare.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4,484 of 13,350

For many years I've been listening through old Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC... I have a feeling now that it had slightly rolled off highs and I've got so used to them..
Unfortunately it's long gone and I can't compare.

Maybe you need a little time for your brain to recalibrate.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,485 of 13,350
  Maybe you need a little time for your brain to recalibrate.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's in my head (either brain or ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back