Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #4,366 of 13,350
  I listen to a lot of Fusion and Contemporary Electric Jazz, not the atonal stuff where you start to wonder if the band members are aware that they are in the same room - lol. I think that I'd prefer the X1's for that. I tried the MDR-1Rs last year and returned them because although Sony stated that they went down to 4 Hz, their legal Dept. told them not to say how man dB down it would be at 4 Hz,
I picked up a Vali because at $100, I figured what have I got to lose. It ended up to be a pleasant surprise. I like they way they work with my HD600's and use it in my den when I work at home.

The Vali is a great deal indeed, It seems many were surprised lol. I use my Vali/Modi in my bedroom when I want to relax and chill out to some music before sleep. I've heard the Vali pairs well with Sennheisers and I'd really like to try them sometime.

Up to this point all the headphones I've bought were well below MSRP except for my Grado SR-60s, but I was curious what the Grado sound was about and they are already a great value to begin with. I for sure want to try and compare audiophile headphones before I even consider buying, like the: Sennheiser HD650,700,800, Audezes LCDs, AKG 7xxs, Grado Pro and Reference Series, Hifimans. I'm going to bring my Schiit along to see which headphones I prefer, hopefully there will be some generous Head-Fiers at the Charlotte meet who will allow me to indulge :wink: 

I guess it isn't really a surprise that Sony tried to downplay the MDR-1Rs lack of bass. I've tried a set in a Sony Store once, and while I enjoyed the clarity with my music, it was immediately apparent the cans didn't have any bass extension.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #4,367 of 13,350

Heh same here. I have my HD600s plugged into the Vali and listen at around 8 o'clock. Any louder and it will start getting uncomfortable.

I think StanD mentioned a few pages back that he has his Vali at the 10 - 11 o'clock position. 

Yeah, I'm a bad boy. I'm trying to reform, let me take a look. It's at 10 o'clock, I guess that I can't bring it any lower, I'm addicted to sound. 
blink.gif
 Even at 10 o'clock there's plenty enough headroom. Volume controls are not linear they have an "audio taper" that is logarithmic so 12 o'clock is far lower than 50%. Uh oh, it's moving to 12, don't worry, the power is off, the HD600's are off my head and my ears are safe.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4,368 of 13,350
  Uh oh, it's moving to 12, don't worry, the power is off, the HD600's are off my head and my ears are safe.

Oh thank you, I was worried there for a second haha

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #4,369 of 13,350
  Oh thank you, I was worried there for a second haha

OK, it's time to go offline and power down. You're in the same timezone as I am. Good thing I have tomorrow off. Got to love Presidents day, if it's a paid day off. That way I get to play with my Bifrost when it shows up later today, yay.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,370 of 13,350
  OK, it's time to go offline and power down. You're in the same timezone as I am. Good thing I have tomorrow off. Got to love Presidents day, if it's a paid day off. That way I get to play with my Bifrost when it shows up later today, yay.

I have duty tonight, so I'll be up... joy. Enjoy your Bifrost! Let me know what you think of it. I should get mine Thursday.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #4,371 of 13,350
Just got my Vali+Magni stack (courtesy of head-fi SF meet raffle), and I have to say, "WOW!"  I used to think all this audiophile "garbage" was lunacy!  "I would never get into that!"  Then I saw on Amazon a pair of SE530s on sale for a great price.  It was a revelation.  To hear aspects of songs I'd listened to hundreds of times suddenly revealed... like a whole new world was born before my very eyes!  "Surely it can't get better than this?"  Then I got a nice soundcard for my PC (Titanium X-Fi) and it got nicer.  Then I upgraded to the Essence ST (Creative drivers were giving me issues) and the music got better.  And now it's 0230 AM, I have to go in to work for a bit tomorrow, then drive two hours to pick up my phone that I left at Espetu's, and I'm still awake because I just can't sleep because I need to hear what new worlds open up to me thanks to this Schiit!  This has got me already planning on what upgrades I want next!  And here I thought I was going to get a lot of Old Republic time this long weekend...

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #4,372 of 13,350
  Just got my Vali+Magni stack (courtesy of head-fi SF meet raffle), and I have to say, "WOW!"  I used to think all this audiophile "garbage" was lunacy!  "I would never get into that!"  Then I saw on Amazon a pair of SE530s on sale for a great price.  It was a revelation.  To hear aspects of songs I'd listened to hundreds of times suddenly revealed... like a whole new world was born before my very eyes!  "Surely it can't get better than this?"  Then I got a nice soundcard for my PC (Titanium X-Fi) and it got nicer.  Then I upgraded to the Essence ST (Creative drivers were giving me issues) and the music got better.  And now it's 0230 AM, I have to go in to work for a bit tomorrow, then drive two hours to pick up my phone that I left at Espetu's, and I'm still awake because I just can't sleep because I need to hear what new worlds open up to me thanks to this Schiit!  This has got me already planning on what upgrades I want next!  And here I thought I was going to get a lot of Old Republic time this long weekend...

Good to see that you like the Schiit Stack. I assume that you meant Vali + Modi since the Magni is an amp. 
Btw, I can't help but notice the "Old Republic time". Are you talking about Star Wars The Old Republic by any chance? 

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #4,373 of 13,350

I think you're going to be really impressed with the Bifrost.  I've found that the DAC is more of an improvement over my previous one than I would have guessed, even with older recordings and transfers I did from vinyl....

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,374 of 13,350
OK, guys. Amazon has delivered the best Schitt text message of all time, it reads as below:
"Your package with Bifrost Uber Anal... is on a carrier vehicle and should be delivered today."
I guess they meant Analog not Anal... Butt it sure came out funny.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,375 of 13,350
wooooow hahaha

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,376 of 13,350
  OK, guys. Amazon has delivered the best Schitt text message of all time, it reads as below:
"Your package with Bifrost Uber Anal... is on a carrier vehicle and should be delivered today."

funny as schiit !!

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,377 of 13,350

That is great StanD!!!!!

Congrats on finally getting it too!!!!
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4,378 of 13,350
I'm glad you guys are laughing, I'm pacing around like an expectant father waiting for my Schiit to be delivered by the Stork.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,379 of 13,350
  I'm glad you guys are laughing, I'm pacing around like an expectant father waiting for my Schiit to be delivered by the Stork.

same here, some damage(long story) was done to my lyr, schiit repaired if for me, our "weather" caused a delay with fedex, but its on the truck today !!
the lcd-x has never met it, and my grado's have missed it !!

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,380 of 13,350
Now my Wednesday delivery is like eternity to me... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back