Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #4,111 of 13,350
  As far as I was aware, the STX is aimed at the music market, and isn't seen as a gaming card - I certainly bought it for its music qualities, not its gaming ones. (I've never used it set to anything other than 'hi-fi', even when playing the occasional game).  :)

I listen to lossless music via pc to hd650's or sr325's - I just want the best sound possible :)

Thanks.

A lot of people purchase them for the Dolby processing built into the card, Dolby Headphone being one of them, and then use an external amp with it because the built-in headphone amp isn't anything to rave about. It's a really great card for multiple reasons, so I guess that's why I'm wonder why you replaced it with a Bifrost. No matter, though. Just understand that using the Bifrost takes the place of the STX and, therefore, you wont have access to any of the STX features such as Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker, Dolby Pro-Logic II, or the GX Game Audio Engine. Sounds like you weren't using it for any of that before anyway, so no big loss.

Back to your question, there's no point in using the optical out on your STX if you have optical on the motherboard. You're just wasting an expensive sound card on being nothing but an optical port at that point. Plug the Bifrost directly into the optical port or USB port from the main motherboard and you'll be fine. You can also remove the STX completely instead of just letting it sit there and collect dust.

If you are happening to get rid of it, let me know. I'd be interested in picking it up from you if the price is right.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #4,112 of 13,350
Some tubes are just noisy.  Contact Schiit about getting a replacement set of tubes sent to you.  Cables won't make a ringing noise.  Either the cables work and transmit sound or they won't work and won't transmit sound.

Replacement tubes ordered, really hope it fixes the issue :/

Thanks for your help guys :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #4,113 of 13,350
Switched my new Vali for the Lyr into my Bifrost (non-Uber) and listening to my HE 500. This is amazing music coming out of the tiny box. I can only repeat what Purrin said some time ago "This is tubes done right".  

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #4,115 of 13,350
  @roguegeek.

Thanks a lot. :)

I wasn't sure if leaving the soundcard and drivers installed would affect the sound  in some way.

The days of plugging a lot of expansion cards into desktop computers is, by and large, gone. Twenty years ago, buying expansion cards for video, audio, Ethernet, modems, etc was standard operating procedure after buying a new computer. This all comes standard now, on even cheap motherboards. Asus is one of the top motherboard brands, and using the optical out directly from the mobo for your audio is absolutely the best choice.

The only reason you'd ever need to get an audio expansion card is if the optical output fails for some reason - or if your mobo didn't have one in the first place. Ditto if something else fails (I've had multiple computers where the Ethernet port fails, so I need to go buy a cheapo Ethernet card).

The only expansion cards I ever see widely advertised any more are video cards, and there is good reason for that - even a cheap video card vastly improves the speed, quality, etc of video, especially for games. The modern GPU is so amazing, they are now being used by themselves to create things like phones and tablet computers.

Keeping an unused expansion card (of any kind) in the computer won't affect anything except perhaps power consumption. Most pre built computers use power supplies that are just enough to power what comes stock on the machine. For example, one of the last desktops I purchased only had a 200 watt power supply. That's just fine for me because I haven't added anything in (yet). However, if I decide I want to go buy a mongo super extra deluxe video card, 200 watts might not be enough just for the video card (lol). So a new power supply would need to be installed. Conversely, if you're not using the audio card for something, unplug it. You'll save some energy, probably a tiny bit of money, and your machine will run cooler.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,116 of 13,350
Well, in a fit of retail therapy, I ordered myself a Bifrost w/USB, which should be here in the next few days. I've had a Modi for about a year, so hopefully the Bifrost will be a great armchair-listening DAC. I'm looking forward to it!

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,117 of 13,350
{edit}
well enjoy the new Bifrost, mine has served me well for many months now!

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,120 of 13,350
What would guys say is the best Schiit DAC/Amp combination for somebody on a budget?

Depends on the budget. What is your range? max amt you'll be willing to spend? what phones are you driving?

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #4,122 of 13,350
  Im hoping to stay under 300. Not really planning on driving anything specifically, this is more of a future purchase.

Under 300 you're looking at Modi + Magni or Vali. Magni is more generally useful, but Vali is better for specific cans.

Alternately, you can go a little more expensive and do Modi + Asgard 2, which is a much more versatile setup than either of the cheaper amps.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #4,124 of 13,350

Im hoping to stay under 300. Not really planning on driving anything specifically, this is more of a future purchase.

Under 300 you're looking at Modi + Magni or Vali. Magni is more generally useful, but Vali is better for specific cans.

Alternately, you can go a little more expensive and do Modi + Asgard 2, which is a much more versatile setup than either of the cheaper amps.
OR!!!! Magni/Modi/Vali stack for $320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back