Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 1, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4,081 of 13,350
  Which amp/dac is the better option?

Schiit Magni+Modi stack vs Fiio E07K+E09K?

I am looking for an amp/dac to pair with my AKG Q701's and both combos are around the same price. Thanks!

I'm a little biased, just so you know
wink.gif
I've only tried one piece of Fiio gear and quite honestly, it sucked. Will never buy anything of theirs again.

The Magni+Modi stack is a great entry level system, all day long.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #4,083 of 13,350
Up until today, I had been using a V-Link 192 to go from my Mac mini to my uber bifrost because it didn't have a USB input. I bought and installed the gen2 USB card and thought I'd share the differences.
I wasn't really expecting there to be a big change, but I was surprised how different the two sound.
1. Right away I noticed MUCH more separation and layering from the gen2 card.
2. The gen2 card definitely has a lower noise floor.
3. The gen2 card was more resolving of musical information, BUT it's also brighter and I'm not sure if one is causing the other. I'm hoping the new gen2 card mellows out with break-in, otherwise I'm going to seek some copper interconnects instead of my copper/silver ones that I have now. Come to think of it, the whole presentation from the gen2 card sounds like pure silver interconnects or speaker wire. It's very punchy, with bass-drum kicks that seem quicker than what's natural. So in that regard, the V-Link is better because it's more natural sounding.

Usually tone trumps everything for me, but in this case I'm going to act like somebody's girlfriend who sees potential in their new mate and thinks they can change annoying behaviors for the better.

*edit* Using my HD600's, I swapped out my Cardas cable for the stock 650 cable. That toned things down a bit and now it sounds pretty nice.
All of this will change though because my HD800's arrive on Monday!

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4,084 of 13,350
Which amp/dac is the better option?

Schiit Magni+Modi stack vs Fiio E07K+E09K?

I am looking for an amp/dac to pair with my AKG Q701's and both combos are around the same price. Thanks!
I own and use both and I prefer the Magni/Modi stack.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,085 of 13,350
Up until today, I had been using a V-Link 192 to go from my Mac mini to my uber bifrost because it didn't have a USB input. I bought and installed the gen2 USB card and thought I'd share the differences.
I wasn't really expecting there to be a big change, but I was surprised how different the two sound.
3. The gen2 card was more resolving of musical information, BUT it's also brighter and I'm not sure if one is causing the other. I'm hoping the new gen2 card mellows out with break-in, otherwise I'm going to seek some copper interconnects instead of my copper/silver ones that I have now. Come to think of it, the whole presentation from the gen2 card sounds like pure silver interconnects or speaker wire. It's very punchy, with bass-drum kicks that seem quicker than what's natural. So in that regard, the V-Link is better because it's more natural sounding.

Usually tone trumps everything for me, but in this case I'm going to act like somebody's girlfriend who sees potential in their new mate and thinks they can change annoying behaviors for the better.

*edit* Using my HD600's, I swapped out my Cardas cable for the stock 650 cable. That toned things down a bit and now it sounds pretty nice.

Real nice insight there!

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,086 of 13,350
Is there a consensus that the Vali and Modi is preferable to the Magni and Modi with brightish sounding HP's such as Grados?

I have an Asgard 2 that I listen through an integrated amplifier that has it's own built in DAC which is pretty good-I listen to both a dedicated CDP and streaming sources through that dedicated set up.

But, I don't have a rig for my PC. I listen to most of my music through my dedicated rig since I have all my music digitally saved in lossless files on a NAS which I can access via a streaming system through my dedicated system. But, for times when I want to listen to my PC-Bandcamp, Utube, a music link someone sends me, etc. I want an economical way to listen to my PC that's fairly inexpensive as it accounts for a small percentage of my listening. The Vali/Modi sounds like a nice option since I already have solid state with the A-2.... VS something like a Dragonfly or HRT streamer?

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,087 of 13,350
Hello all

I might get an schiit lyr to drive my lcd 2.2

I have some Valvo E188CC from an other amp it should be fine ??

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #4,088 of 13,350
  Is there a consensus that the Vali and Modi is preferable to the Magni and Modi with brightish sounding HP's such as Grados?

I have an Asgard 2 that I listen through an integrated amplifier that has it's own built in DAC which is pretty good-I listen to both a dedicated CDP and streaming sources through that dedicated set up.

But, I don't have a rig for my PC. I listen to most of my music through my dedicated rig since I have all my music digitally saved in lossless files on a NAS which I can access via a streaming system through my dedicated system. But, for times when I want to listen to my PC-Bandcamp, Utube, a music link someone sends me, etc. I want an economical way to listen to my PC that's fairly inexpensive as it accounts for a small percentage of my listening. The Vali/Modi sounds like a nice option since I already have solid state with the A-2.... VS something like a Dragonfly or HRT streamer?

i can vouch for the vali , grado combo, great, great pairing !

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #4,089 of 13,350
      hmmm, do i see a Device Switcher box in that  picture?   The one on the left at the back of the desk?   Sure looks like it to me.  
blink.gif
   I really, reeeally need one of those 
biggrin.gif

This is perhaps the best advice, ever...I'd keep it in mind. I could have any of our gear on my desk, and this is what I usually listen to:

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,091 of 13,350

Your impressions point out something I have been experiencing over the last 3-4 years in putting together a computer based desktop system. USB receivers (whether included in the dac or outboard) still have significant differences.

Early on, I purchased a Cambridge DacMagic. Through USB, referencing flac 16/44 rips to the same tracks played via cd on my Rega Apollo, was OK, but lacking life & texture. The use of a Musical Fidelity V-Link brought it much closer.

Purchase of a Bifrost (Gen 1 USB) was better yet, and I didn't need a USB/SPDIF converter. Upgraded it to Uber Analog and loved it, especially for its dynamics. Did not do the Gen 2 USB board, kept waiting for reviews or impressions. About 3 months ago I saw the bel canto mlink ($375 list) for $200 and got one. Bypassing the (Gen 1) USB input on my Bifrost and feeding via spdif coax was "...hmm this thing really has texture in spades...". Well now a couple months into it and I have to say the improvement is for real.The mlink provides stunning touch, texture, timbre. Absolutely a natural organic feel along with open, airy, clear as a bell transparency.

I expect to get a chance to hear and compare a Gen 2 USB Bifrost soon. If I like it as well as (or better than) my current setup, I'll be happy to remove the extra black box and cables from my desktop and do the upgrade. But right now this chain, from flac/wav files to headphones, is providing me with tapping toes and huge smiles.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #4,094 of 13,350
  How big is the difference in sound quality?

Personally, I find it pretty big. What I would do is listen to what people are saying about the Vali with the Q701 over the Magni. I have not used it, but it sorta makes sense that it would work well.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #4,095 of 13,350
Hey guys! Maybe you can help me out. My Modi broke after like 10 or 12 days of use. Has anyone else had an issue like that? It's not totally broken, but one day a couple of weeks ago I came back to my computer after watching 7 hours of football, and I had no sound at all. Nothing. Everything looked to be in order, i double checked all the connections and software stuff, but no sound. So I restarted, and sound came back right away...only, not the same. The right side of my headphones had this sharp buzzing whenever audio is played that is rough on the ears, and the audio was all around flat. I was hoping it wasn't my new NAD Viso HP50 headphones, so I tried out my old pair of headphones and they had the same issue. Tried just plugging in headphones to the computer and didn't have any problems, everything was fine. So I really thought it was my old amp (headsave classic v2) that i've put heavy use into for 10+ years, just thought it finally had run it's course perhaps. So I bought a Magni to go along with my Modi, finally got my Magni in today so I got it set up and....dammit! Same problem. Flat audio with the annoying buzzing in the right ear. I tried new RCA cables, a new USB cable. Then finally hooked up the amp alone to the computer and that was fine as well. If the Modi is involved in any way, I get lots of noise on the right side of my headphones and I get that flat sound along with the buzzing in the right side.

So anyways, yeah...dammit. Was going to see if anyone else had a similar experience. Hopefully the return process won't be too big of a headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back