Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #3,678 of 13,350
Does my gungnir output a balanced and unbalanced signal at the same time?
I was wondering because I want to hook it up to a preamp and a headphone amp at the same time

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,681 of 13,350
Which way to go...?

Just finished reading the whole Schiit Thread... I have some AKG K712 HP (62 Ohms, 105dB SPL/V per their site), almost all of my mussic is classical from pre-barroque voice only to romantic composers with lots of dynamics and some contemporary stuff... Sometimes some indy thrown in. I have a limited budget and right now I could either :
a) Buy a Lyr/Modi
b) A Vali/Bifrost Uber with USB2
Eventually I would get the Lyr/Bf and Modi/Vali combos complete but not right now... What would be the best choise for now? Is the Lyr apropriate for de k712? I have some hope as I've seen some users have Q701's or so... or should I go for the A2? I like that the Lyr could drive some other headphones in the future and the pre-out, also the tunning via tube rolling, don't know if it will fit this cans; which are going to be there for quite some time...
Hope i can get some help deciding!

Antonio

Having heard all the gear you listed...
If it was me I would go for the Vali/uberfrost, the Vali is very impressive.  It gets you a good setup that will sound vey good and be flexible enough to try different input methods down the road.  As you said you would eventually get the other gear but you may find the Vali is as far as you need to go.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3,682 of 13,350
  Having heard all the gear you listed...
If it was me I would go for the Vali/uberfrost, the Vali is very impressive.  It gets you a good setup that will sound vey good and be flexible enough to try different input methods down the road.  As you said you would eventually get the other gear but you may find the Vali is as far as you need to go.

+1

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,684 of 13,350
  Let's do the noble thing and everyone walk away.  (As hard as it may be)

As someone who has been on this site for a year-my advice to any newcomers, is caveat emptor. Approach things with a healthy dose of skepticism. A little like dealing with car salespeople.

I've learned a lot and think this website is a terrific resource. Headfi  is a valuable resource, and opportunity to "talk shop" and learn. The meets are terrific to check out.

But take any one statement with a grain of salt. If you like a product, check out reviews on this site and also do some research away from Headfi. Like anything on the internet, you can get amazing advice, but just know that any of can recommend anything we want and there is know our motives and interests. There is no  real filter and no way vet any of us.

Me included
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #3,685 of 13,350
  As someone who has been on this site for a year-my advice to any newcomers, is caveat emptor. Approach things with a healthy dose of skepticism. A little like dealing with car salespeople.

I've learned a lot and think this website is a terrific resource. Headfi  is a valuable resource, and opportunity to "talk shop" and learn. The meets are terrific to check out.

But take any one statement with a grain of salt. If you like a product, check out reviews on this site and also do some research away from Headfi. Like anything on the internet, you can get amazing advice, but just know that any of can recommend anything we want and there is know our motives and interests. There is no  real filter and no way vet any of us.

Me included
bigsmile_face.gif

i thought if it was on the internet it had to true ???

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #3,686 of 13,350
Thanks all for your replys, I don't post a lot mainly because I mostly read trhough the threads, as a reference for any one else intrested in more opinions DAC vs. amp the A2 thread has also a lot of opinnions.
I apreacite the frugal aproach, and also I can see why some people recomend DAc and others Amp. reading the threads lets you kind of know the board member line of thought. As reference I have only spekers and have seen them do the "disapearing trick" also know that you ned to work in your room and have good sources, etc... And live music, every weekend for at least.. a lot of years! Trying to get the closest I can to that with the headphones.
Also done my homework, I evaluated a lot (Woo, LD, HFM, Fiio, etc) of equipment, from reviews, post etc... the hard work is understanding what people means and how to correlate opinnions with my own subjective perception.
Not having the means to actualy hear before buying the gear makes this forums a great resource, if you can take the right info from what is posted. For now I will go for uberbifrost/vali, the next buy will be the Lyr and next a modi, that way I have all the gear I should need for now and buy more mussic!
My sincere thanks to everyone that give a thought in my question and I apreciate your resposes!
best regards,

Antonio

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,687 of 13,350

i thought if it was on the internet it had to true ???

One caveat. If jay says it's true-he's legit.

Seriously Jay is a great guy. He sent me an extra amp he had just to see how good it sounded for myself.

You can trust him.
normal_smile .gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,688 of 13,350
  One caveat. If jay says it's true-he's legit.

Seriously Jay is a great guy. He sent me an extra amp he had just to see how good it sounded for myself.

You can trust him.
normal_smile%20.gif

you're too kind !! lol
if anyone is to believe anything i say, let it be this : "this(head-fi)  ain't life and death, its fun !! " oh, and "if you like it, then its good" i stole that one from somebody else lol
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3,689 of 13,350
  One vote for putting the money into the amp instead of the dac.  Get that lyr first

A DAC upgrade (assuming the upgrade is from a less-accurate cheap DAC) will give you accurate conversion, which you can then amplify (cleanly or add coloration). My suggestions for upgrading playback systems are:

Power Conditioning (get rid of noise problems that might originate from there)
DAC (get the most accurate translation from the 0's and 1's)
Amplifier (once you have a clean signal and excellent conversion, you can then go nuts and add amps according to "taste")
Headphones/Speakers

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,690 of 13,350

A DAC upgrade (assuming the upgrade is from a less-accurate cheap DAC) will give you accurate conversion, which you can then amplify (cleanly or add coloration). My suggestions for upgrading playback systems are:

Power Conditioning (get rid of noise problems that might originate from there)
DAC (get the most accurate translation from the 0's and 1's)
Amplifier (once you have a clean signal and excellent conversion, you can then go nuts and add amps according to "taste")
Headphones/Speakers

Respectfully disagree. Headphones/speaker, and a clean/adequate (enough 0s & 1s) copy of the recording is numero uno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back