Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 31, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #121 of 13,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there should be a pair of oven mitts in the bottom. 

I didn't get one! Gasp! 

rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #122 of 13,350
Hey all, don't know if this is the place to be asking but here goes anyways. I just got my Lyr in the mail a few days ago, and Regardless of the cans I plug into it, I hear this high pitched background noise that's like an echo of fingers brushing on the aluminum chassis. I can't EQ it out either. Is there something wrong with the amp or does it have to do with my cans?

Cheers,

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #123 of 13,350

Quote:
Hey all, don't know if this is the place to be asking but here goes anyways. I just got my Lyr in the mail a few days ago, and Regardless of the cans I plug into it, I hear this high pitched background noise that's like an echo of fingers brushing on the aluminum chassis. I can't EQ it out either. Is there something wrong with the amp or does it have to do with my cans?

Cheers,

Wiggle the tubes, if you get any sort of noise that you can hear through the cans, you might want to try swapping the tubes around, or reseating them. I had the same issue. 

I can wiggle my tubes around without any noise though, so it might be a bad one.. the rest of the amp is built pretty solid and I deduced at the time that anything weird would be related to the tubes.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #124 of 13,350

Quote:

Lyr is for high impedance phones. What are you plugging into them?

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #126 of 13,350

Quote:
Are any of the Schitt (Lyr, Valhalla or Asgard) "Burson killers"?

Have the Valhalla, auditioned the Lyr and the Asgard. Nope, not "Burson Killers" at all. Are you talking about the HA-160? Which model?

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #128 of 13,350

Quote:

Well aware of this. I have tried some very low (Denons) and some moderate (DT770s) and it still persists.
 I'll try reseating the tubes.

Resat the tubes, noise still persists. I think I'm going to send it back and get an Asgard instead.

Cheers,

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #129 of 13,350
Contact Jason/Schiit and tell them your tubes are likely bad. I would try another set of tubes before swapping for an asgard. Asgard's a good amp (used one for a year), but unless you have your eye on low impedance headphones, Lyr can do so much more with medium and high impedance headphones - and hard to drive orthos. You're likely dealing with a bad tube. If it proves not to be a tube, Schiit will swap your amp quickly.

Quote:
Well aware of this. I have tried some very low (Denons) and some moderate (DT770s) and it still persists.

Resat the tubes, noise still persists. I think I'm going to send it back and get an Asgard instead.

Cheers,

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #131 of 13,350
To be honest, though Schiit has piqued my interest with their no-nonsense designs and apparent good value, so far I have not yet found, for my aims and needs, a Schiit product that I would purchase.  What they need to do is to scale up the Asgard to go head to head with the Burson.  If you haven't noticed there really aren't a lot of fully discrete, pure class A amps under $700.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #132 of 13,350
Do Ford cars compete with Ferrari cars?  Different products for different markets.  Same with Schiit vs. other brands.  Schiit started out as an entry-level company to build a base.  Now, they are expanding.

Also, if you read the press release, Schiit is releasing higher end products very shortly.

Finally, this is a SCHIIT OWNERS THREAD.  If you don't own some Schiit, don't come in here and tell us how you don't like our Schiit.  We happen to like our Schiit.  Your thread pooping (Schiit jokes are too easy) is not appreciated.

Quote:
To be honest, though Schiit has piqued my interest with their no-nonsense designs and apparent good value, so far I have not yet found, for my aims and needs, a Schiit product that I would purchase.  What they need to do is to scale up the Asgard to go head to head with the Burson.  If you haven't noticed there really aren't a lot of fully discrete, pure class A amps under $700.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #133 of 13,350

Quote:
Contact Jason/Schiit and tell them your tubes are likely bad. I would try another set of tubes before swapping for an asgard. Asgard's a good amp (used one for a year), but unless you have your eye on low impedance headphones, Lyr can do so much more with medium and high impedance headphones - and hard to drive orthos. You're likely dealing with a bad tube. If it proves not to be a tube, Schiit will swap your amp quickly.

Thanks I'll email them tonight.

Cheers,

EDIT:
Jason responded and is shipping me a new set of tubes, as he concurred they are defective. Thank you all for the help! Hopefully my Lyr will sound the way it should, and thanks to Schiit for being very responsive to my requests! (I even got an email at about 12:15am!)

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #134 of 13,350

Quote:

HE-5LE
HE-500
LCD-2

all of those excel on the Lyr and are low impedance

Quote:

Cheers,

Err, I'd buy new tubes on their dime before I send the amp back. It's really quite lovely once you get it situated.

Trust me, my amp came from someone in Pennysylvania and it must have been pretty shooken up cuz I lost a tube that way too, it was all hissy like 40% into the volume knob. I posted about it earlier.

It's a Class A amp, so it should be virtually silent when working properly.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #135 of 13,350

Quote:

Cheers,

Maybe it's bad tubes? But yeah, have a try with the Asgard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back