Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,321 of 13,350
Quote:
A button like is on the Bifrost/Gungnir DACs would be excellent, though it may have to function a bit different (deeper press likely).

Something common on many AVRs is a hard power switch that engages a stand-by mode with a soft touch actual power switch. Perhaps this is the answer. Would certainly be a statement.
cool.gif

Again IF it's moved, then the soft touch is an intriguing idea. However I believe it is the  LG that has a similar design, with many complaints
about such soft touch not being totally responsive.

I think the most logical button would be what the Bifrost/Gungnir employ. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,322 of 13,350
You could use a switched outlet on another component in your system or add a DC triggered switched outlet if that is available in your system. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #1,323 of 13,350
Quote:
My computer is plugged into the same set of plugs. Wouldn't be so great as I prefer to leave my computer on 24/7, and I don't always listen to my gear while at the computer.

Agreed, but I would also hope that you have your computer on a battery backup. If you do, you could plug a simple surge strip into one of the other ports on the battery backup and your schiit into that.
Personally, I have my setup via a UPS which then feeds my audio eqpt via a Monster Pro Powercenter.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,324 of 13,350
I don't mean any disrespect or to belittle anyone, but such first world problems we have. We need to leave our computers on 24/7 and reaching around the back of an amp causes us stress.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,325 of 13,350
Quote:
I don't mean any disrespect or to belittle anyone, but such first world problems we have. We need to leave our computers on 24/7 and reaching around the back of an amp causes us stress.

I have never turned my Mojo/Gungnir off since getting it. Tubes are waaaaay different though.

I haven't turned my mac off in over 2 years....

You're either lazy for wanting the switch on the front, lazy for not getting a trigger switch for your gear, lazy for not turning your gear off, or maybe all of the above. 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,326 of 13,350

Haha right? But also, I never turn off my mjolnir so it doesn't really bother me. It doesn't put off enough heat to matter to me, though it guess it is winter right now. The thing doesn't even feel that warm since its so cold

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,327 of 13,350

First world problems are still problems. Just because our standard of living is higher it doesn't mean we can't have what we want if we are willing to pay for it. I never said I wouldn't accept an amp with the switch on the back, I just hoped that in an 'all-out' statement affair, the power switch would be on the front regardless of added cost for doing it right. It's not supposed to be good bang for the buck, though I'm guessing it will be since it is still a piece of Schiit, after all.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,328 of 13,350
Anyone already got the Asgard 2? I am wondering if it is an upgrade to the Asgard or just a sidegrade since it has the same price tag and also does it run quite hot like the Asgard?

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,329 of 13,350
Quote:
Anyone already got the Asgard 2? I am wondering if it is an upgrade to the Asgard or just a sidegrade since it has the same price tag and also does it run quite hot like the Asgard?

It doesn't start shipping till the end of the week so no one has the answers to your questions. According to Jason it runs as hot as the original and performance is closer to Mjolnir than the original. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,330 of 13,350
Quote:
It doesn't start shipping till the end of the week so no one has the answers to your questions. According to Jason it runs as hot as the original and performance is closer to Mjolnir than the original. 

I thought it has already been shipped to customers, my bad.
If it comes close to Mjolnir then it is a great bargain for the price point but we have to wait and see.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,331 of 13,350
Look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650075/same-old-schiit-um-no-welcome-to-asgard-2

Looks to be a good ugrade.

I also got an email saying they will start shipping Tuesday.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,332 of 13,350
My Schiit doesn't have a remote control! I have to actually move my arm, reach out, grab the knob and if that's not bad enough, turn it!
rolleyes.gif

Reminds me of an old episode of The Jetsons. George comes home from work one day, dragging butt, saying "Boy that Mr. Spaceley's a real slave driver! I had to push the button on and off five times today!"

se

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,333 of 13,350
In one case, headphone amp, I totally agree.

Now I love the minimalistic design of Schiit products.  That's the beauty and flagship statement stuff, heck you want any excuse to touch it.

My whole house system is a bit different.  I control a whole rack of equipment with a ThinkFlood RedEye Pro.  I use contact closures, IR sprayers, RS-232 from the REP to control my A/V gear Lutron Homeworks Lighting and tie into my almost abandon Crestron system.  REP is great and for a fraction of the cost and hassle orphaned the Crestron A/V controls.

I'm using a Bifrost in the equipment rack.  Now.... I have 2 choices. A) let it run.  B) spend stupid money on an A/C outlet with a contact closure.

I'm betting that the Bifrost MTBF is sick.  I'm going with "A"

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,334 of 13,350
My Schiit doesn't have a remote control! I have to actually move my arm, reach out, grab the knob and if that's not bad enough, turn it! :rolleyes:

Reminds me of an old episode of The Jetsons. George comes home from work one day, dragging butt, saying "Boy that Mr. Spaceley's a real slave driver! I had to push the button on and off five times today!"

se

Come now, most headphone gear is within arm reach and it is exceptionally rare to find headphone gear with remote controls. All I ask is for a front power switch.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,335 of 13,350
Quote:
Come now, most headphone gear is within arm reach and it is exceptionally rare to find headphone gear with remote controls. All I ask is for a front power switch.

I never thought about it before, but I think Hodgjy's post relaying Jason's reasons for putting the switch in the back make a lot of sense.  Contain the high voltage.
Then there's the increased fabrication of the faceplate and a cosmetically appealing switch.   Deign and Engineering has tradeoffs.

It sounds so easy to put a switch in the front, but perhaps the product sounds better with it in the rear.  Ya gotta trust the engineers. Schiit is function over form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back