Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,278 of 13,350
I just picked up the  Asgard-first amp for my first cans-Grado 225i. I'm interested in what other Asgard owners have paired with their Asgard?

The Modi looks like a steal. Any Asgard/Modi owners out there? Or do the Asgards fair better with a Bilfrost for few more $? Or, a DAC from a different company? Or,even a portable amp and dac?

Much Thanks...

In the exact same situation as you. Recently upgraded from the sr80i's to the 225i's. Note just starting to get into amps and DACs. Went with the Schiit Asgard last night(Asgard 2)because of all the great reviews and how well the supposedly pair with Grados. Plus, the Schiit products are built to last and remain with me when I move up the upgrade latter.

Still need to get a DAC though. I was also thinking about the Asgard/modi combo. just can't afford the bifrost yet.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,279 of 13,350
Guys,
I received my Bifrost and Asgard two weeks ago and have connected them to my Macbook Air. Currently using the HE 400 and my LCD 2.2 should come in next week. I wanted to get the Lyr but Jason assured me that the Asgard had "plenty of power" for the HE-400 and the LCD 2.2.

Will get a Modi/Magni as well when the 230V version of the Magni is available. Great to get on this thread as a Schiit owner.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,280 of 13,350
Quote:
In the exact same situation as you. Recently upgraded from the sr80i's to the 225i's. Note just starting to get into amps and DACs. Went with the Schiit Asgard last night(Asgard 2)because of all the great reviews and how well the supposedly pair with Grados. Plus, the Schiit products are built to last and remain with me when I move up the upgrade latter.

Still need to get a DAC though. I was also thinking about the Asgard/modi combo. just can't afford the bifrost yet.

Jason did recommend the Bifrost/Asgard combo (I had asked his opinion for the Bifrost/Lyr) when I had emailed him to ask his opinion. I have the Grados 325is and they sound out of this world with the Bifrost/Asgard. He did also mention the Modi/Magni as the alternative combo to the Grados (and He-400).

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #1,281 of 13,350
Jason did recommend the Bifrost/Asgard combo (I had asked his opinion for the Bifrost/Lyr) when I had emailed him to ask his opinion. I have the Grados 325is and they sound out of this world with the Bifrost/Asgard. He did also mention the Modi/Magni as the alternative combo to the Grados (and He-400).

I read somewhere in this thread I think that the magni/modi combo was a bit on the bright side. I like the idea of the Asgard/bifrost combo as a long term investment.

I've never personally heard the sr325is, but I've read they tend to be a little brighter than grados typically are. What kind of sound do you get with the schiit combo?

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,282 of 13,350
The soundstage is very bright. Everything is amazingly clear and detailed. To my ear, just about everything has been brought a little more forward than when I used the Grados with the E17. I mentioned in another thread (HE-400) that several songs now sound more detailed with the 325is compared to the HE-400 but that could just be me. I listen only to rock music, FYI.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,283 of 13,350
I assume there a few Bifrost/Lyr Head-fiers out there. To them, I would like to ask, has any one heard the Bifrost/Asgard versus Bifrost/Lyr ? if you have or do, is the upgrade to the Lyr worthwhile ?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,284 of 13,350
Quote:
I assume there a few Bifrost/Lyr Head-fiers out there. To them, I would like to ask, has any one heard the Bifrost/Asgard versus Bifrost/Lyr ? if you have or do, is the upgrade to the Lyr worthwhile ?

Thanks

I was the other way around if that counts. Had the Bifrost and Asgard for about a year and got to listen to the Lyr with it a couple times.

At the levels I listen at with my LCD-2s I actually preferred the Asgard over most of the tubes I tried in the Lyr, and the 'best' I heard the Lyr sounded as good (but not better than) the Asgard. All of course very much just in my opinion and to my listening preference.

With that said, I did also try the K701 with both and actually preferred the Lyr by a good bit since the right tubes really tamed the treble and added enough bass that I actually enjoyed them, where on the Asgard I just found them somewhat unpleasant.

So from my experience the ability to customize the Lyr's sound with different tubes is the more compelling feature, not necessarily the extra power. If you like a more clean solid-state sound (like I do for the cans that I own), then you may actually prefer the Asgard.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,285 of 13,350
Quote:

I was the other way around if that counts. Had the Bifrost and Asgard for about a year and got to listen to the Lyr with it a couple times.

At the levels I listen at with my LCD-2s I actually preferred the Asgard over most of the tubes I tried in the Lyr, and the 'best' I heard the Lyr sounded as good (but not better than) the Asgard. All of course very much just in my opinion and to my listening preference.

With that said, I did also try the K701 with both and actually preferred the Lyr by a good bit since the right tubes really tamed the treble and added enough bass that I actually enjoyed them, where on the Asgard I just found them somewhat unpleasant.

So from my experience the ability to customize the Lyr's sound with different tubes is the more compelling feature, not necessarily the extra power. If you like a more clean solid-state sound (like I do for the cans that I own), then you may actually prefer the Asgard.

That's very interesting and informative. However, till date, I have listened to music only with solid-state amps hence I don't have a clue about the sound emanating from tube amps. The only thing I have heard is that the music from the latter is more "warm" (whatever that means !).
I think the Asgard puts out enough power for my headphones (Grado 325is, HE-400 and will receive the LCD 2.2 soon) so power is really not the primary concern.

Thanks

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,287 of 13,350
Quote:
That's very interesting and informative. However, till date, I have listened to music only with solid-state amps hence I don't have a clue about the sound emanating from tube amps. The only thing I have heard is that the music from the latter is more "warm" (whatever that means !).
I think the Asgard puts out enough power for my headphones (Grado 325is, HE-400 and will receive the LCD 2.2 soon) so power is really not the primary concern.

Thanks

Tubes can basically act like an EQ, and different tubes will change the sound in different ways. For me personally I prefer having an amp that should always sound the same and last for years without any replacement parts needed, but obviously tube rolling also appeals to a large number of people here.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,289 of 13,350
Well, going back to the link someone posted before...it has pics and specs and a buy now button w/ a "ships in 5-7 days" but the link isn't up on the site and nothing official yet...

https://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,290 of 13,350
Quote:

Tubes can basically act like an EQ, and different tubes will change the sound in different ways. For me personally I prefer having an amp that should always sound the same and last for years without any replacement parts needed, but obviously tube rolling also appeals to a large number of people here.

Ah thanks. Now I also know what tube rolling means. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back