Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 10, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,386 of 13,350
Yes! If you follow Mike's posts, it's amazing how he planned this all along. Quite genius actually. He built the bifrost and gungnir and left some room in them knowing that he'll give them a multibit upgrade once the technology is available. Schiit started small, so they can amass the funds to build up and then bring back down the technology to their lower offerings. Most companies try doing the opposite, only finding that they have trouble selling their expensive offerings and never bringing budget items to the table. I am ashamed I was skeptical to ever think they couldn't fit a multibit chip and the closed form filter inside the bifrost. Phenomenal!

Well, Jason and Mike went about things differently then most audio companies, there's no doubt about that. If you haven't read Jason's book or read all the chapters here I highly recommend you buy it (I did). It's difficult not to root for guys that have decided to take a different path than the norm while offering great (upgradable) components at incredibly low prices. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #11,387 of 13,350
Haha of course I have their book. And I only read it no less than three times.

Also, what other company stays so in touch with their customers? It's great that Jason and Mike post here often, and actually taking into account what we talk about. It's the little things like this that makes me proud to be a schiithead.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #11,389 of 13,350
Haha of course I have their book. And I only read it no less than three times.

Also, what other company stays so in touch with their customers? It's great that Jason and Mike post here often, and actually taking into account what we talk about. It's the little things like this that makes me proud to be a schiithead.

I'm in the same boat, my wife will say "I thought you already read that?" and I'll just say, "obviously I'm doing research." I wish Mr. Moffatt would write a book as well, I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but we get some insight into Mr. Moffat's world in "Schiit Happens." It was really cool that Mr. Stoddard posted all those chapters here for everyone to read for free, but I prefer to hold the book in my hand and turn the pages...I simply haven't been able to adapt to a Kindle yet.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #11,391 of 13,350
  The Gungnir multibit definitely is more revealing than the DS Gungnir. So much so that I decided to go all the way to the Yggdrasil. Can't wait til it comes in.But what about 

But what about all of my 24-bit downloads from HDtracks? (joking) I realize I need to make the upgrade, I have little doubt that it'll be worth it. I just have too many hobbies and so little time. I plan on getting it done after the holidays if I have any money left over.
L3000.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #11,392 of 13,350
  I need to send my Gungnir in for the Multibit upgrade...haven't owned a multibit DAC since the early to mid 90's. I am very curious as to how the upgraded Gungnir would compare to my old Monarchy 22A with BB PCM63P-K DAC's. Of course, the Monarchy didn't have USB. I love how Schiit has gone down this path with their DAC's, and I'm sure that many wondered if upgrades would ever be offered when they bought their Schiit DAC's since most companies "say" upgradeable yet never seem to offer any upgrades. 

My advice - upgrade to GMB.  I thought my music sounded great on the Gungnir until I upgraded.  Opened up a whole new level of enjoyment, for me.  All the music is more detailed, it only doesn't help really poor recordings (that probably can't be helped anyway).

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #11,393 of 13,350
The thing I find amazing about Schiit Audio is that instead of charging what the market will bear, like most companies, they try to make their products to be as high value for the consumer as possible. I really believe that in the Asgard 2 I have an amp that is worth $800-900, and yet they sell it for only $250. And the thing is built to last for many, many years.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #11,394 of 13,350
  The thing I find amazing about Schiit Audio is that instead of charging what the market will bear, like most companies, they try to make their products to be as high value for the consumer as possible. I really believe that in the Asgard 2 I have an amp that is worth $800-900, and yet they sell it for only $250. And the thing is built to last for many, many years.

thats why, even though i dont get to buy directly from schiit in usa i have to use (electromod (UK) i pay $140 dollars for my modi 2 and $180 for my vali. obviously not as cheap as you guys get it but i do believe im buying quality and its better than the competition.

ill have to pay $740 for the bimby when i have enough for one. how much is it in the usa?

i did want to jump straight to the gungnir multi but the $1,520 puts me off... for now.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #11,396 of 13,350
Quick question - is anyone here pairing their Schiit DAC with Apple TV 2? I've been using my Apple TV to my Arcam receiver via optical, but now I want to go purely 2 channel. I've already got a Lyr 2, so I was 

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Apple TV 2, not the most recently released version. Pic below. 

Chain would be:  TIDAL or iTunes library in Apple Lossless --> Bifrost --> Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes --> power amp --> speakers 

I know it would work, obviously, but I'm curious if there are any quality concerns with the Apple TV which outputs everything at 48 instead of 44.1? Please note I do not have any hi-rez music, so I don't think downsampling is a concern.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #11,397 of 13,350
I live in Vietnam, using 220v 50Hz electricity. Recently I accidentally bought a 200 VAC power transformer aimed at Japanese devices, which converts 220V to 100V. Do I really have to buy a 220 to 120V transformer in order to properly power the Magni V1 (It has a 120 VAC adapter)? What can possibly happen if I continue to use the 220V-100V transformer? Thanks all!

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #11,398 of 13,350
  Quick question - is anyone here pairing their Schiit DAC with Apple TV 2? I've been using my Apple TV to my Arcam receiver via optical, but now I want to go purely 2 channel. I've already got a Lyr 2, so I was 

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Apple TV 2, not the most recently released version. Pic below. 

Chain would be:  TIDAL or iTunes library in Apple Lossless --> Bifrost --> Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes --> power amp --> speakers 

I know it would work, obviously, but I'm curious if there are any quality concerns with the Apple TV which outputs everything at 48 instead of 44.1? Please note I do not have any hi-rez music, so I don't think downsampling is a concern.

I don't think there is a Tidal option on the Apple TV.
If you have one of the Apple TV's with the Optical Output it works fine. I Used a Modi 2 U with one for a while I used it mostly for Movies In the bedroom (netflix) I never did care to listen to music through the apple TV so I cant give you a true Review as far as how it sounds. I went Apply TV via optical ---> Modi 2 U ---> Speakers (amplified Harmon Kardon 2 .1 Alien orb looking speakers)

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #11,399 of 13,350
Works for me. I send Tidal (or iTunes or Spotify or YouTube or etc) from my laptop wirelessly to the Apple TV box which outputs via optical to DAC which goes through integrated amp to speakers. Sounds good, same as cd thru same system.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #11,400 of 13,350
Yep - to be clear, I'm already using Tidal --> Airplay --> Apple Tv 2. I'm just thinking of upgrading from my Arcam's DAC to the Bifrost and want to make sure it wouldn't be money wasted due to limitations of Airplay / Apple TV. 

CD quality is the goal so thanks @Billheiser- that's very useful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back