Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 2, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #10,606 of 13,350
  I dont think my Vali amp was ever right and now i think its really dying. I probably should have returned it a year or two ago when I bought it =(.

And don't try to argue with them. They may claim you're a con man or cheater. Been there done that. 
o2smile.gif

popcorn.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #10,610 of 13,350
  And don't try to argue with them. They may claim you're a con man or cheater. Been there done that. 
o2smile.gif

popcorn.gif

What am I missing here? You had your friend, the original owner, contact us for repair, correct? Again, contact us and we'll take care of you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #10,611 of 13,350

What am I missing here? You had your friend, the original owner, contact us for repair, correct? Again, contact us and we'll take care of you.

Just out of curiosity, why is that that many companies including schiit, do not offer warranty on secondhand items, even if it is still within the original warranty period? 

Alex says it increases cost, but im not sure how it does so.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #10,612 of 13,350
  Just out of curiosity, why is that that many companies including schiit, do not offer warranty on secondhand items, even if it is still within the original warranty period? 

Alex says it increases cost, but im not sure how it does so.

It's my understanding that warranties imply a guarantee for an acceptable lifetime of normal use. Items that are sold used exceed that "normal" lifetime because another user is involved. Also, there's no way to track "normal" use across multiple owners. Was it defective because the original owner abused it and then sold it, or was it defective from the start? No real way to answer that without tearing it apart and looking, which does cost the manufacturer money.

It's a slippery slope that basically prevents the manufacturer from guaranteeing their items forever.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #10,613 of 13,350

It's my understanding that warranties imply a guarantee for an acceptable lifetime of normal use. Items that are sold used exceed that "normal" lifetime because another user is involved. Also, there's no way to track "normal" use across multiple owners. Was it defective because the original owner abused it and then sold it, or was it defective from the start? No real way to answer that without tearing it apart and looking, which does cost the manufacturer money.

It's a slippery slope that basically prevents the manufacturer from guaranteeing their items forever.

The warranty says its for X amount of years which in this case is 2-5 years.

I think you're thinking too deep into it. There is no mention of "Normal" use nor its definition.

Im pretty sure Schiit is exceedingly fair even to secondhand or even thirdhand customers.

I'm just curious on why the warranty period cant be transferred along with the product upon the sale

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #10,614 of 13,350

Bingo. Schiit, like most consumer electronics manufacturers, provide a warranty for the original purchaser only. However, there are several key differences (which I will get to.)

Why? It's simple. When you buy from us, or from an authorized distributor, we know what you're getting. It's been through our QC, it has been burnt in, and it has passed many tests. However, if you buy from someone else, it could be abused, modified (this happens VERY often with inexpensive equipment), damaged by improper packing, etc. In this case, we don't know what you're getting, and hence a warranty does not apply.

We choose to limit the costs associated with dealing with abused, modified, and other equipment of unknown provenance for the same reason we don't do sales, don't have dealers, don't have fancy packaging, etc: to provide much higher value. This is why Stereophile said of the Bifrost: "this is the highest-value product we have ever seen." This is why, if you look inside an Asgard, or Magni 2, or pretty much any product and compare it to products at the same price (or frequently much higher price points), you'll see much, much more for your money. That's what we concentrate on. If you want no-fault all-user warranties, fancy packaging, or 100% return refunds including shipping, you should be looking elsewhere--because that is not us. 

(Plus, I have seen infinitely transferrable warranties eat more than one company alive.)

Now, the differences:

1. Schiit warranties, especially on our $249 and up gear, are very generous when compared to the competition. This is because we want you to be happy with the gear you buy from us for a long time.
2. There are many things we do that go above and beyond the stated warranty, including rapid exchange of defective or DOA products (we ship before we receive yours in return).
3. Most out-of-warranty repairs (within the original warranty period) are free. If a product is unmodified and unabused, we frequently don't charge for out-of-warranty repairs. Even if it is dirty/modified/etc, the charge is usually nominal.

I hope this clears a few things up. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #10,618 of 13,350

It was a joke about a thing @Alex Martin wrote. I thought "
popcorn.gif
" thing was enough to explain that. I talked to many people about Schiit after that posts and I love the sound.

This was the thing I was joking about: "A lot of these transactions Aegruin describes in his suggestions are pretty questionable.  They seem designed to avoid paying duties and taxes- a gift is a gift but a grey market transaction to avoid paying VAT or import duties is very questionable."

But you really should put a section about gifts when paying the devices. Like "I'm buying this for                        person and my warranty is on him/her"
It is not about me. I solved my problem. It is a general suggestion.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #10,619 of 13,350
Wow I think I lucked out. My lyr2 w/liist and bifrost uber just came to my door, with no custom fees?!?

Not wanting to disappoint you, just to prepare you. Mine came without taxes too. But.... probably a week later, I got a bill from FedEx containing all charges. They charged me even for processing my custom fees. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back